Type 74 tank lost its tracks during firepower exercise | World Defense

Type 74 tank lost its tracks during firepower exercise

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
260_149159_915188-750x456.jpg

Type 74 tank lost its tracks during firepower exercise.

A Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force Type 74 armoured tank after it lost its tracks before an annual training session, which is based on a scenario to defend or retake islands in Japanese territory, near Mount Fuji at Higashifuji training field in Gotemba, west of Tokyo.

apan’s army showed off its abilities Tuesday in an annual live-fire exercise at the foot of Mount Fuji, as the country’s lawmakers debate legislation that would expand the military’s role overseas.

A wave of firing tanks shook the ground at the base of the scenic mountain, and helicopters hovered in front of more than 12,000 spectators sitting on the ground or in bleachers. The Ground Self-Defense Force exercise involved 2,300 troops, 20 aircraft, and 80 tanks and armored vehicles.

The Type 74 is a main battle tank (MBT) of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF). It was built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries as a replacement for the earlier Type 61. It was based on the best features of a number of contemporary designs, placing it in the same class as the US M60 or German Leopard 1. Like these designs, it mounts the Royal Ordnance L7 105 mm gun. The design did not enter widespread use until 1980, by which point other western forces were starting the introduction of much more capable designs.

Type 74 tank lost its tracks during firepower exercise | Defence blog

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
I wonder if it doesn't show the Japan's army lack of experience, especially in land warfare - after all, they're on a island, any land warfare combat would need a lot of transportation of their land force via plane or boat, which is not an easy task at all. And if it's the case, it's worrying for them. I mean, they should do twice of training & testing in real conditions.

I know this can happen, I don't doubt it, it can happen to any vehicles, after all. But if their plan is to really show their force before the legislation allow more military development overseas, it's not a strong, good sign.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like it was going at a rate of knots before the track detached.

This seems to be just an unforeseen wear & tear issue but it's not good that it happened during a training exercise where a number of eyes were upon them. I should imagine a lot of people were left red faced.