U.S. asked for China’s help on N. Korea cyberattacks | Page 2 | World Defense

U.S. asked for China’s help on N. Korea cyberattacks

cyberpinoy

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Philippines
I guess it makes sense that the #2 economy of the world is asking for help from the #1 economy in the world. It also makes a lot of sense for help from China because of their close proximity to North Korea, especially compared to the distance between that and the United States. Plus China is in pretty good shape at the moment. It makes more sense to me rather than asking any other country for help.
What i dont like is that China is actually allied with North Korea. thats what makes the situation so very difficult.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Developments to the story here:
China Ignores US Call for Cooperation on North Korean Cyber Attacks | The Diplomat
After U.S. officials confirmed that they believe the North Korean government was responsible for an unprecedented hacking attack against Sony Pictures, the Obama administration called for China to assist in preventing future cyber attacks from North Korea. “What we are looking for is a blocking action, something that would cripple their efforts to carry out attacks,” one official said, according to the New York Times.

But . . .
China’s alliance relationship with North Korea may be on rocky ground right now, but it’s still unlikely that Beijing will publicly join the U.S. in blaming Pyongyang for cyber attacks.

So the two, won't be working together anytime soon.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I think this gesture of US is admiring. I don't think that they asked for the China's help because they can't subjugate it on their own, but rather they ask China because that's the most immediate descent move they can employ. I have heard that the Chinese are the ones that supplies materials to North Korea to have cyber access. The US asked the Chinese to just not allow such attack to keep happening. That's just all the help they are asking, because if it wouldn't be stopped then they would really need to have to take necessary measures by themselves, which could be far worse for the North Korea.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
Any sort of co-operation between these two countries is another step in the right direction. That being said, I am still skeptical of the actual role North Korea played in the Sony leaks. I think it is much more likely to be the work of other individuals.

skipper

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I get the sense that any formal request for help from China, made public, is more of a warning than anything. China has been sick of North Korea's antics for a while now, so any public talk between the US and China is both countries' way of saying, "You're honestly ticking me off now." It's more powerful coming from China, considering China's general support of North Korea. I'm sure China has no real interest in working with the US when it doesn't have to, but it suits its needs to talk like it may.

The US benefits by making a show of asking, China benefits by letting North Korea consider it potentially helping, and everyone goes home happy.

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
If China's relationship with North Korea is not doing well at the moment, then I guess it makes sense for them to ally with the United States to help with their issues. Though at the same time, it might just be better for China to stay out of the situation all together, and focus more on their own problems in their own country, like the United States should really be doing!

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
China won't help, not in the long run. They are out for their own gain, and have potential motive to hack us themselves. I would not trust them at all, I would personally not trust them enough to even do business with them. It would be like them to appear to help while actually just getting info they want for themselves. Not saying this is true of any individual Chinese person, but it's my observation of China as a government.