UK flooding: Syrian refugees help build flood defences | World Defense

UK flooding: Syrian refugees help build flood defences

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
UK flooding: Syrian refugees help build flood defences near Manchester 'to give something back'
A group of Syrian men have been filling sandbags in Littleborough, near Rochdale

Sandbags-flooding.jpg

Local volunteers fill sandbags to stem flood water in York city centre on 28 December 2015 EPA

yrian refugees have been helping to build flood defences to “give back” to the communities who have welcomed them in Manchester.

They were among volunteers filling sandbags in Littleborough on Tuesday after hundreds of homes were flooded when the River Roch burst its banks.

Yasser al-Jassem, who reached Europe through Greece and was smuggled into the UK in a lorry from Calais, said he had seen images of the devastation on television and wanted to help.

“The people of Greater Manchester have been very good to us and so we wanted to offer our help to them,” he told the Manchester Evening News as he worked in Littleborough’s Conservative Club car park.

“As Syrian refugees, we are honoured to take part in community service initiatives such as this to give back to the communities that have so warmly taken us in.

“I put out a call through WhatsApp and immediately had many other Syrian refugees join me.

“It shows that we are very much interested in not only becoming a part of British society, but also contributing to it.”

More flood warnings were issued across northern England, Scotland and Ireland today as Storm Frank brought yet more torrential rain and gales.

In many areas the ground is still saturated from previous downpours and river levels remain at record highs.

Three severe warnings were in place for flooding posing a “danger to life”, alongside 46 less serious warnings and 85 alerts.

Meanwhile, controversy continues over the Government’s response to the floods and spending on defences.

Devastated families in York claimed they had been “sacrificed” by the Environment Agency after it raised a flood barrier, while its chairman, Sir Philip Dilley, came under fire for failing to immediately return from a family holiday in the Caribbean.
UK flooding: Syrian refugees help build flood defences near Manchester 'to give something back' | Home News | News | The Independent

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Nice gesture from the refugees.

darkrebelchild

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Nigeria
Refugees are people like us; their country has become a place unbearable to live in. If they do not help in the countries that have accepted them, then they will need to seek help elsewhere. I believe this gesture of theirs is the best way to protect their new home and they do not desire to lose it like they have lost their country home.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
What an interesting news item. It's heartwarming to see those refugees giving back the kindness that was showered to them by the people of UK (I don't know if it is politically correct to call them British or English). But that is just an occasion. I hope that the Syrian refugees would be showing their usefulness in some other matters particularly in the community where they are staying. Just being law-abiding people is good enough as a return gesture.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Refugees are people like us; their country has become a place unbearable to live in. If they do not help in the countries that have accepted them, then they will need to seek help elsewhere. I believe this gesture of theirs is the best way to protect their new home and they do not desire to lose it like they have lost their country home.

The amount of Islamophobia prevalent in Europe might backlash at the refugees in the near future.

''Islamski gwałt na Europie'' which means Islam rape of Europe is a dangerous movement by the european medias against refugees.
pMagazineReleaseGetCover,224

Valois1790

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
You'll always get negative nancies trying to tell you the world will end.

Hopefully, actions like this will convince them otherwise.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
This a good move by the Syrians in showing gratitude for the kindness that was handed out to them. This will also show many who were against their rescue that they are willing to be useful and upright citizens.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
You see every cloud has a silver lining. The Syrian community is demonstrating its gratitude and patriotism to the host nation. If allowed to live and let live, settler migrant communities are an asset and for some reason develop entrepreneurial flair that benefits host nations.

Murica

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I think the media is trying to make this out to be better than what it is. I'm not exactly sold on the Syrian refugees 100%. There are certainly some good people like the ones above, but just look at what's happening in places like Germany...

I think we need to send more aid (in the form of resources AND military) to places like Syria. The Middle East needs a Western presence to stabilize. Leaving it to the leaders in power now will not work out at all.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I think the media is trying to make this out to be better than what it is. I'm not exactly sold on the Syrian refugees 100%. There are certainly some good people like the ones above, but just look at what's happening in places like Germany...

I think we need to send more aid (in the form of resources AND military) to places like Syria. The Middle East needs a Western presence to stabilize. Leaving it to the leaders in power now will not work out at all.

What makes you think the western existence in the ME brings peace and tranquility? Are you one of those brainwashed by the media? If it was not for the US involvement in Iraq and before that if Afghanistan the ME would have been stable as it was by now.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
There are always the good, the bad, and the decent people among all groups with all ethnic/nationality background. There is no need to get overjoyed or hateful just because some news reports. People with mind of their own would realize the truth without any stories from news agencies who always have an agenda.