UK plans to buy 20 new drones to fight Islamic State in Iraq and Syria | World Defense

UK plans to buy 20 new drones to fight Islamic State in Iraq and Syria

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
UK plans to buy 20 new drones to fight Islamic State in Iraq and Syria

UK Prime Minister David Cameron has promised to buy 20 new drones to fight Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria. Britain is part of an international coalition of more than 60 countries, including the United States, Arab and European nations, working together to dismantle and destroy ISIL in Syria and Iraq.

UK_plans_to_buy_20_new_drones_to_fight_Islamic_State_in_Iraq_and_Syria_640_001.jpg

UK actually has a fleet of 10 Reaper UAVs

"We have at the moment a drone fleet of 10 Reapers and what we are going to be doing is actually replacing that with twice as many with a new updated piece of equipment — called Protector — which will be more than doubling of our fleet to keep us safe and to give us the intelligence and information and potentially give us the capacity to hit people who are potentially planning to hit us," Cameron said in an interview with The Telegraph newspaper.

Cameron also stated he was going to enforce the process of obtaining a parliament permit for the UK operation in Syria. He added that Russia's decision to launch a military operation in Syria will not affect the UK 's intention to send its drones.

At the moment, the British government has a parliament approval for military operation against ISIL in Iraq, but no mandate for such an operation in Syria.

On Wednesday, Russia started carrying out pinpoint airstrikes on ISIL positions in Syria at the request of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
UK plans to buy 20 new drones to fight Islamic State in Iraq and Syria 20510151 | October 2015 Global Defense Security news UK | Defense Security global news industry army 2015

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really get this. There was a vote in parliament on whether we should start operations over Syria, and the vote was thrown out and he said he would abide by the public's wishes, yet now he's trying to get a permit to do it?

I think he's gonna get a lot of flak for this....

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Would the acquisitions make a difference? Since last year when the coalition started fighting ISIS, nothing has achieved. Now they want to do more so that Russia doesn't strip them of "the glory?" But I'm all for the defeat of ISIS and if more drones will get the job done then that's great news.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
It's good to hear that the UK has the intention to fight ISIS (or ISIL). At the moment, Russia is on the offensive while Turkey and the US are complaining of Russian planes trespassing the air space of Turkey. Isn't that diverting the issue? Again, let me say that only a concerted effort can wipe away the venom of ISIS. And at this moment, that idea of a united front by countries against ISIS is far-fetched.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Uk better stay out of this one and mind their business at home before they cause even more British youths to go and join ISIS! The UK is one of the Western countries with the most ISIS members so they should deal with the terrorist at home before they seek to go abroad.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Uk better stay out of this one and mind their business at home before they cause even more British youths to go and join ISIS! The UK is one of the Western countries with the most ISIS members so they should deal with the terrorist at home before they seek to go abroad.

The UK is already involved with targeting ISIS in Iraq using drones and Tornado aircraft based in Cyprus I believe.

I do agree that there is a lot more that needs to be done to prevent people getting radicalised at home though. Trouble is we live in a very PC controlled state where even the slightest hint that someone of different religion or race might be up to no good gets you branded a racist...

SLTE

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Canada
I don't really get this. There was a vote in parliament on whether we should start operations over Syria, and the vote was thrown out and he said he would abide by the public's wishes, yet now he's trying to get a permit to do it?

I think he's gonna get a lot of flak for this....
Probably so, but if there's one topic where governments tend to ignore 'the common folk', it's on matters of military strategy.

Conceptually, I like drones; realistically I think they're a bit scary; currently, I think they're a good idea. I'm willing to see a bit of compromise on my military views if it means fighting ISIS. Don't like those chaps, not one bit.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Probably so, but if there's one topic where governments tend to ignore 'the common folk', it's on matters of military strategy.

Conceptually, I like drones; realistically I think they're a bit scary; currently, I think they're a good idea. I'm willing to see a bit of compromise on my military views if it means fighting ISIS. Don't like those chaps, not one bit.

I'm not a keen lover of drones and while I still don't like them, I do see the advantages of these Reaper and Predator drones and can see they are pretty powerful bits of kit when used. One use for them I would like to see (If or when we start targeting Syria) is patrols around Palmyra in the hopes of preventing them destroying more of those ancient monuments.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Is it possible for Cameron to proceed without the approval of Parliament? It seems a good idea to update and increase the number of craft available, since ISIS seems to be growing as a threat, and not abating. Everyone needs to do their part, and this sounds as if Cameron is looking to do that with this plan to purchase the Predators.

I also agree that the UK and all countries need to address the issue of homegrown terrorism and ISIS recruitment. Anyone contributing to such radicalization needs to be targeted and dealt with in an effective way, so the threat is stopped.

jliggins2002

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Drones will not be the answer unless they are there for surveillance. Trying to go at these rebels with unmanned planes will be a disaster. Drone strikes are are killing more civilians than rebels. How about some F16s and real fire power to take these guys out. There is absolutely enough information and firepower out there to neutralize these rebels so either this is a smoke screen to purchase more drones for another reason, or they got some bad information from somebody thinking this would help.