Ukraine plans to join fight against Isis means troops could come up against Russian forces in Syria | World Defense

Ukraine plans to join fight against Isis means troops could come up against Russian forces in Syria

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Ukraine plans to join fight against Isis means troops could come up against Russian forces in Syria
Any troop deployment into Syria would be controversial in Kiev, not to mention in Europe

facebook.png

twitter.png

email.png

blank.gif

27-Ukrainian-forces-AFP-Getty.jpg

Ukrainian forces in the Donetsk region AFP/Getty

Ukraine has drawn up plans for a potential military contribution to the fight against Isis in Syria in a move that could also pit its troops against Russian forces in the Middle East.

An options paper drawn up by Ukraine’s defence ministry is to be discussed this week during a visit by US Defence Secretary Ash Carter, who has been touring the world gathering support for the war against the extremist jihadist group.

According to those who have read it, the paper – produced at the behest of President Petro Poroshenko – highlights the possibility of Ukrainian forces coming up against Russian forces in Syria, and details potential contributions.

A Ukrainian government source said: “We have prepared a range of options for our support against Isis including in Syria, which could include troops. It could result in potential clashes with Russians.”

Ukraine’s battle-hardened armed forces would relish such an opportunity. Ukraine has four special-forces regiments and a further unit of its Defence Intelligence Department – a total of 7,000 troops. It also has highly capable airborne troops, part of a mobilised army numbering 200,000, of which 40,000 are always on the country’s eastern front facing pro-Russian rebels.

In terms of Russian language skills and combating Russian tactics, Ukrainians are world leaders. However, any troop deployment into Syria would be controversial in Kiev, and require a parliamentary vote, with some arguing that Ukraine needs to focus on the rebels who pose a continuing threat in its east, despite the current military deadlock. It might also prove controversial in Europe.

A senior military source in Ukraine’s capital said: “I would see a lot of hand wringing at Nato in Brussels.”
Ukraine plans to join fight against Isis means troops could come up against Russian forces in Syria | Europe | News | The Independent

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Well, the Independent seems to be really exaggerating things. It failed to mention that the last time the two forces faced each other, Ukranian forces were "relieved" off their duties without much of a fight. I think that place was Crimea and the year was 2014.

In any case, all contributions against daesh are welcome.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
This perception of possible clashes between Ukrainian and Russian forces is stretching the situation a bit too far. Even though the countries may be at odds, their forces will be after a similar objective, and that objective is the eradication of ISIS.

They have managed so far to avoid direct confrontation at the Russian/Ukranian border so I don't believe there will be any concerted effort to start a war between them whilst engaging in this ISIS issue.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Understandably, Ukraine has a score to settle with Russia so the probability of a clash in Syria is not far fetched. And although this planned involvement of Ukraine in fighting ISIS in Syria is a positive move for the world in general, I think politics cannot be discounted. Reading the article gives me an impression that Russia is more of their priority than ISIS. I hope I'm wrong.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I commend Ukraine's intention to join the international community and help put an end to ISIS but it somehow doesn't make a lot of sense to me (unless they're doing this to serve personal interests). The country for one has been through quite an ordeal with a lot of their citizens dying under the hands of Russian-backed rebels. Now they're going to join a fight in which Russia also has a stake. Talk about irrational interests.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
I think that if there was a world war that it would start between the Ukraine and Russia as there is no rest for putin who wants to make sure that he gains Ukraine for Russia, we all know Russia is the bad apple here but Ukraine does seem to have some moments of questioning

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
If Russia wanted to they could invade Ukraine and the West wouldn't help the Ukrainians because Ukraine isn't a NATO member. That's why any conflict between Russia and Ukraine won't ignite the third world war. The Syrian crisis however has the potential of escalating into something bigger . . . and worse — a world war.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Well, considering that its fake news, now it makes a lot more sense. I don't know what Russians would gain from it - only Putin knows and he's not telling anyone :p

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
the isis crisis is frightening and we should take a stand against these people once and for all unfortunately we don't know exactly where they all are because each country has let them in somewhere and we are probably surrounded.