UN rejects Russia's bid to rein in Turkey | World Defense

UN rejects Russia's bid to rein in Turkey

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
The Russian bid at the UN to stop Turkey's military actions in Syria was rejected by Western powers last Friday amid the statement of France that the conflict has a tendency for a dangerous escalation. US Secretary of State John Kerry cautioned that a ceasefire is not ideal at this times since there's a lot more work to do.

For details - Russia fails in UN bid to rein in Turkey | The Manila Times Online

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
I am trying to figure out what the Turkey is about. Both the Kurds and Turkey are allies of Western World. The Kurds have been very brave in the fight against ISIS, however, the Turks are the perpetuating a conflict with the Kurds, whilst they Kurds are fighting ISIS, who are a threat to all the countries in that region. Some people have suggested that Turkey has some hidden alliance with ISIS. One thing seems clear, however, Turkey is trying to start a war with Russia, with the hope of getting their western allies involved

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I also have some difficulty comprehending exactly what is at stake for each party in this situation. Technically, we (US) are supposed to look at Turkey as an ally, and Russia with suspicion, but lately, it seems I can relate more to Putin's actions than those of Turkey. I suspect it has something to do with the US being united for the most part. Although we 'war' against one another when we have differing philosophies, we are not as divided as many in the Middle East, and don't seem to be as motivated by religious factors. Perhaps that is because despite having differences, we do have freedom of religion, and are not persecuted and treated as second class citizens if we worship another god or don't worship one at all.