UN warns of nuclear material falling into terrorist hands | World Defense

UN warns of nuclear material falling into terrorist hands

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Yukiya Amano of the International Atomic Energy Agency warns of the dangers of nuclear material falling into the wrong hands. He is urging the world nations to apply an agreement meant to minimize the probability of such situation, i.e. terrorists getting hold of nuclear materials.

Further, the head of the UN nuclear agency says 11 more nations must agree to adhere to the Amendment to the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material before it can enter into force.

Read more at UN warns of nuclear material falling into terrorist hands | mb.com.ph | Philippine News

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
This has more to do with UN or US wanting to enforce nuclear weapon related regulations on certain countries rather than to do with terrorism itself. The 'terrorism' line is just the intimidation technique from the US to get others to adhere to whatever regulations they want.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
I wonder how this agreement would prevent these weapons from getting into the hands of terrorists. All the terrorists need to do to seize these weapons is to overrun a facility where these weapons are contained.
The major problem here is that the UN should be moving to limit the proliferation of these weapons, however, this might not be a viable move, because the UN is only able to impose the sanction on some countries, whilst many of the more powerful nations seem to be untouchable.

Jason76

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Considering I live in the US, it would be in my interest to oppose nuclear, chemical, or biological terrorism. Nonetheless, it might be possible business interests could be putting fuel on the fire by promoting unpopular stuff in other nations. The right wing has given Obama a lot of heat for appearing weak, in their view, toward various groups. However, his efforts might have reduced the terror threat.

A huge debate exists on whether being really tough, or being diplomatic is the way to go.

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Won't help if some those very governments are back door helping the terrorists/criminals/gangs....

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
Countries in the nuclear club should lead from the front in eliminating the nuclear threat because whatever can go wrong will go wrong. A good place to start is the strategic reduction of nuclear warheads to an absolute minimum. The issue gets more worrisome when you think of rogue states like North Korea clandestinely transferring nuclear technology to the black market. Unstable countries like Pakistan with a dangerous bedrock of religious fundamentalists even in security circles and high levels of corruption are another source of nightmares in this regard.

gmckeebiz

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I'd have to say that this is by far the biggest worry I have. I think it's only a matter of time before a terrorist organization gets it's hands on a nuclear weapon. Once that set it off inside a Western or American city, the catastrophe will make September the 11th look like a picnic in the park. You'll likely see millions of fatalities. Perhaps I'm being over dramatic, but I do not think so. The reality is with terrorist organizations well connected because of the internet, their capabilities of pulling off such an attack are only increasing by the day.