Unwinnable wars | World Defense

Unwinnable wars

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
The world is awash with all sorts of weaponry, both light and heavy versions and such weapons are freely available on the black market as well as sales from the defence industries of various nations. Technology transfer is ratcheting up the production of weapons. With training curriculums of the armed forces having a semblance of uniformity, I think those who win wars will have pyrrhic victories.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
It's so true that wars may be difficult to win given the present situation. There are so many splinter groups which are hard to pin down because they do not engage in conventional warfare. They operate by having cells all around the globe. They have no problem in accessing weapons on the black market and they are very determined and ruthless and its hard to determine where they will strike next.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Again, may reiterate what I had said before. That war is business so some nations seem to be instigating wars. The usual impression of war is political in nature, that's true and I agree that most wars are started by political differences - be it a war between nations or a war in a country between factions. But the continuity is mostly because of business. The production of armaments and arms deal are profitable.

In our country, there is a small group of armed bandits called Abu Sayyaf. The government promised to eradicate (if not annihilate) those bandits. But just recently they surfaced again with a kidnap-for-ransom scheme. It seems to me that the military of our government is receiving aid from other countries whenever there is that problem of insurgency.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
It really depends on your goal of winning.
If you want to force a total surrender or total take over, that could be tough. However, if you just want to push for a ceasefire and take over some uninhabited islands, it could be fairly easy to achieve.
It is even easier if you just want to destroy one or two major military installations of the enemies.

Weapons on black market is non issue in actual war. Those are usually low tech weapons with limited ammunition. It is the top weapon exporters who sell billions worth of weapons to many countries and groups openly that cause the wide spread of militarization. Small stateless groups without continuous support from major countries would have no chance of winning a war, and at most they can only cause some minor inconvenience.

eveliner

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I'm usually trying to stay away from trying to elucidate the winner. It's certain that nowadays technology evolved at such a tremendous rate that it's hard to predict which side can win. In the near future, winning a war will not be decided by how smart and anticipatory one side is, but by how technologically-advanced each side is.

John Snort

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Egypt
Depends on the enemy you are fighting and whether you have boots on the ground or not. What we've learned from the fight against ISIS is that airstrikes alone aren't enough to defeat an enemy. Nonetheless if you have superior firepower and better trained soldiers you can still win wars but not as easily as it could be done in the past because fighters now often use civilians as human shields.