US diplomat's car kills Pakistani motorcyclist in capital

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
US diplomat's car kills Pakistani motorcyclist in capital

ISLAMABAD (AP) - Pakistani police say a car carrying an American diplomat has accidently hit a Pakistani motorcyclist in the capital, Islamabad, killing him on the spot.

Local police official Shafi Ullah said the U.S. diplomat was not arrested as he enjoyed immunity under international law.

The U.S. embassy confirmed Saturday's road accident and said it was cooperating with authorities in the investigation.

Rip

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reactions
224 22 0
Country
India
RIP to the victim.

Will Pakistan push for the perp to be prosecuted inside US for it?

Or stripped of diplomatic immunity and sent back for trial at later date inside Pakistan.

Either works.

@I.R.A @The Sandman @Hithchiker (darn Hitch, you use I here instead of ! like other place heh. flummoxed my tagging for a bit)

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
RIP to the victim.

Or stripped of diplomatic immunity and sent back for trial at later date inside Pakistan.

Either works.

@I.R.A @The Sandman @Hithchiker (darn Hitch, you use I here instead of ! like other place heh. flummoxed my tagging for a bit)

I think the diplomat has already flew home. He wont be sent back for trial in Pakistan. Thay may allow for prosecution inside the US if Pakistan decided to go for it or simply agree to blood money.

The Sandman

Reactions
405 34 0
Country
Pakistan
RIP to the victim.

Either works.

Most likely he will just go back because of that immunity and if we run a trial against him than we've "blood money" law so yea nothings really gonna happen unless SC do something as it's really active these days.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Most likely he will just go back because of that immunity and if we run a trial against him than we've "blood money" law so yea nothings really gonna happen unless SC do something as it's really active these days.

Case can be settled at $50 M. The diplomat must pay heavily.

Hithchiker

Reactions
721 28 0
Country
Pakistan
RIP to the victim.

Either works.

Lol yea..you noticed it now...On topic i believe initially a little drama will be created ..We will notice hue and cry may be they start a bit persecution too but when the topic will go off from media we all know what will happen...Either blood money will be paid or at max the person will be asked to be sent back ..Davis was not even a Diplomat ..
Already preparation on way to put him on ECL as expected little melodrama
Process under way to put US diplomat on ECL
https://www.dawn.com/news/1400592/process-under-way-to-put-us-diplomat-on-ecl
ISLAMABAD: The interior ministry has started the process to put a US diplomat on the Exit Control List (ECL), sources told Dawn.

Inspector General of Police Dr Sultan Azam Temuri told Dawn that a written request was sent to the ministry on Monday seeking the name of the American diplomat on the ECL.

The capital police informed the ministry that the diplomat was booked on criminal charges, including murder by mistake or rash or negligent driving. The presence of the diplomat is necessary for investigation.

5acc3a2c2bca2.png

The director general Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) also confirmed that arrangements were made to prevent the diplomat from leaving the country, Dr Temuri stated.

The diplomat has valid licence issued by the Islamabad Traffic Police, the IGP stated. The police were considering canceling the licence and a directive in this regard would be issued to the ITP, he said.

US Defence and Air Attaché Col Joseph Emanuel Hall jumped a red signal at Damn-i-Koh Chowk and hit a motorcycle. As a result, two motorcycle riders suffered injuries and later one of them – Atiq Baig – died.

The pillion rider, Raheel Ahmed, suffered multiple injuries, including fractures. He was being treated at a hospital.

A CCTV footage of the Safe City Project showed that the diplomat drove a white Land Cruiser at a high speed and violated the red signal and hit the motorcycle, the police stated, adding the footage also showed that the diplomat neither applied break nor tried to save the motorcyclists.

Sources in the immigration department on condition of anonymity said, “so far the US diplomat has not left the country.”

Subdivisional Police Officer Secretariat ASP Zohaib Nasarullah Ranjha told Dawn that the US diplomat had made an attempt to travel abroad on a Middle East-bound Qatar Airway. He reached the airport at 4am on Sunday but left from there after seeing officials of the capital police there, he added.

Investigating officer of the case, Inspector Arshad Ali, from the homicide unit said the investigation of the case was being finalsed. The investigators have so far collected statements of eyewitnesses, the injured victim and the accused, he added.

The police are waiting for the medico-legal report of the deceased and the injured to finalise the investigation and challan, the IO stated.

Published in Dawn, April 10th, 2018

There is only one way if CJP (active now a days at every front) take Suo moto notice of this case

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reactions
224 22 0
Country
India
Please share opinion, there are some updates now:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44094872

Pakistan blocks US diplomat from leaving after fatal crash

Pakistan has prevented a US diplomat from leaving the country after he allegedly killed a motorcyclist by driving through a red light last month.

Local press said on Saturday that a plane was sent by the US to collect Col Joseph Emanuel Hall, a military attache, but was denied clearance.

US officials have previously said he cannot be arrested or tried because he has diplomatic immunity.

The incident has increased political tension between the countries.

Ateeq Baig, 22, was killed in the crash in Daman-e-Koh, north of Islamabad, on 7 April.

CCTV footage showed a white four-wheel-drive - said to be driven by Col Hall - ignoring the red traffic light at an intersection, crashing with a bike at speed and then braking.

The US embassy has denied reports in Pakistan's media that Col Hall was drunk while driving.

The dead man's father has called for the colonel to stand trial at Islamabad High Court (IHC).

On Friday, the IHC had ruled Col Hall does not have absolute immunity.

He had already been put on a travel "black list", which meant airports had been told not allow him to leave.

Neither the US or Pakistan has officially commented on Saturday's news.

Relations between Washington and Islamabad have been in the spotlight since US President Donald Trump's New Year's Day tweet, where he accused Pakistan of "lies and deceit".

In January, the US government said it was cutting almost all security aid to Pakistan, saying it has failed to deal with terrorist networks operating on its soil.

Pakistan has denied the accusations and responded by saying it would no longer share intelligence with the US.

Hithchiker

Reactions
721 28 0
Country
Pakistan
Please share opinion, there are some updates now:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44094872

Pakistan blocks US diplomat from leaving after fatal crash

Pakistan has prevented a US diplomat from leaving the country after he allegedly killed a motorcyclist by driving through a red light last month.

Local press said on Saturday that a plane was sent by the US to collect Col Joseph Emanuel Hall, a military attache, but was denied clearance.

US officials have previously said he cannot be arrested or tried because he has diplomatic immunity.

The incident has increased political tension between the countries.

Ateeq Baig, 22, was killed in the crash in Daman-e-Koh, north of Islamabad, on 7 April.

CCTV footage showed a white four-wheel-drive - said to be driven by Col Hall - ignoring the red traffic light at an intersection, crashing with a bike at speed and then braking.

The US embassy has denied reports in Pakistan's media that Col Hall was drunk while driving.

The dead man's father has called for the colonel to stand trial at Islamabad High Court (IHC).

On Friday, the IHC had ruled Col Hall does not have absolute immunity.

He had already been put on a travel "black list", which meant airports had been told not allow him to leave.

Neither the US or Pakistan has officially commented on Saturday's news.

Relations between Washington and Islamabad have been in the spotlight since US President Donald Trump's New Year's Day tweet, where he accused Pakistan of "lies and deceit".

In January, the US government said it was cutting almost all security aid to Pakistan, saying it has failed to deal with terrorist networks operating on its soil.

Pakistan has denied the accusations and responded by saying it would no longer share intelligence with the US.
I think its on going tussle at diplomatic level that is happening like imposing restrictions to each other staff ...I have read the news that he will be allowed to leave after court proceedings...In reality , after the temperature is cooled down and on going diplomatic things sort out he will be free as a good gesture..We are good at making drama

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I think its on going tussle at diplomatic level that is happening like imposing restrictions to each other staff ...I have read the news that he will be allowed to leave after court proceedings...In reality , after the temperature is cooled down and on going diplomatic things sort out he will be free as a good gesture..We are good at making drama

That is probably going to be the end result of it.

Hithchiker

Reactions
721 28 0
Country
Pakistan
https://www.dawn.com/news/1407646/u...ccident-allowed-to-leave-pakistan-sources-say
US diplomat who killed biker in road accident allowed to leave Pakistan, sources say
Naveed SiddiquiUpdated May 14, 2018
Facebook Count23
Twitter Share

US defence attaché Col Joseph Emanuel Hall, who was earlier barred from flying out on an American military aircraft by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), was reportedly allowed by the government to leave on Monday, DawnNewsTV reported quoting diplomatic sources.
The government reportedly took the decision after the US government assured that Col Hall will be tried under US laws, the sources added. The diplomat has since left for Afghanistan on a special flight.
Diplomatic sources further confirmed that Col Hall was a US diplomat who held absolute immunity as per the Vienna Convention of 1972 and the privileges Pakistan extends to diplomats.
He enjoyed immunity from any criminal, administrative or civil action, they said.
On April 7, US Defence and Air Attaché Col Joseph Emanuel Hall had jumped a red light at the Daman-i-Koh Chowk in Islamabad and hit a motorcycle. As a result, two riders of the motorcycle had suffered injuries, and one of them, 22-year-old Ateeq Baig, had later expired from the trauma.
Col Hall had initially avoided arrest because of his diplomatic immunity, but a first information report (FIR) regarding the incident had been registered at the Kohsar Police Station.
Last week, the Islamabad High Court had ruled that the US diplomat did not have "absolute immunity".
The Islamabad High Court had also heard a petition by Ateeq’s father seeking the placement of the diplomat’s name on the Exit Control List (ECL). It had subsequently asked the government to decide within two weeks whether or not Col Hall should be placed on the ECL.
The judge had noted that the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations provides immunity from arrest and detention to diplomats.
The Foreign Office had previously written to the US State Department for withdrawal of his immunity. The matter was also discussed during the last visit of US official Alice Wells.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
https://www.dawn.com/news/1407646/u...ccident-allowed-to-leave-pakistan-sources-say
US diplomat who killed biker in road accident allowed to leave Pakistan, sources say
Naveed SiddiquiUpdated May 14, 2018
Facebook Count23
Twitter Share

US defence attaché Col Joseph Emanuel Hall, who was earlier barred from flying out on an American military aircraft by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), was reportedly allowed by the government to leave on Monday, DawnNewsTV reported quoting diplomatic sources.
The government reportedly took the decision after the US government assured that Col Hall will be tried under US laws, the sources added. The diplomat has since left for Afghanistan on a special flight.
Diplomatic sources further confirmed that Col Hall was a US diplomat who held absolute immunity as per the Vienna Convention of 1972 and the privileges Pakistan extends to diplomats.
He enjoyed immunity from any criminal, administrative or civil action, they said.
On April 7, US Defence and Air Attaché Col Joseph Emanuel Hall had jumped a red light at the Daman-i-Koh Chowk in Islamabad and hit a motorcycle. As a result, two riders of the motorcycle had suffered injuries, and one of them, 22-year-old Ateeq Baig, had later expired from the trauma.
Col Hall had initially avoided arrest because of his diplomatic immunity, but a first information report (FIR) regarding the incident had been registered at the Kohsar Police Station.
Last week, the Islamabad High Court had ruled that the US diplomat did not have "absolute immunity".
The Islamabad High Court had also heard a petition by Ateeq’s father seeking the placement of the diplomat’s name on the Exit Control List (ECL). It had subsequently asked the government to decide within two weeks whether or not Col Hall should be placed on the ECL.
The judge had noted that the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations provides immunity from arrest and detention to diplomats.
The Foreign Office had previously written to the US State Department for withdrawal of his immunity. The matter was also discussed during the last visit of US official Alice Wells.

Oops did not see that coming.

Tps77

Reactions
330 12 0
Country
Pakistan
He had diplomatic immunity , If a Pakistani diplomat kills american in USA he will get the same immunity and I mean to say diplomat not diplomatic staff.