US journalist admits faking story about Iraq attack in 2003 | World Defense

US journalist admits faking story about Iraq attack in 2003

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
The lack of integrity by the modern journalist never ceases to amaze me, they will do anything to get a good story, including faking a story. Mainstream media along with a lot of governments are losing credibility because of this. I think the reporter should be bared from all newsagencies.

Washington, Feb 6 (IANS/EFE) Veteran journalist Brian Williams, the popular host of NBC's nightly prime time newscast, has apologised after admitting that he made up the story he told about travelling in a helicopter that was attacked during the 2003 Iraq invasion.

Williams retracted the story he recounted last week after crewmembers of the US chopper that was attacked told Stars and Stripes newspaper that the reporter was not on board at the time.

The journalist, 55, apologised Wednesday evening in a statement he read during the "NBC Nightly News", that he hosted since 2004.

"I want to apologise," Williams said.

US journalist admits faking story about Iraq attack | Business Standard News

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
But did he tell any lie other than 'that he was on the helicopter'? It was still attacked, yes? Wasn't "the true story" something like 'he was on an aircraft following/being-followed-by the helicopter that was attacked'?

Had Williams had any combat-experience or military-training? Because I'm thinking that adrenaline clouds the mind and blurs the happenings in such an experience (if you're not properly acclimated to the rush).

I mean, it's not like he was "leaking reports on major conspiracy within the upper levels of the army's Illuminati KKK" :*)^(0 '_' 0)^:xD:

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
True, but in his mind he still felt guilty over the lie and the situation and felt he had to come clean. This is just him trying to set things right, it might not be right to lie over something like this when so many other Americans over there suffer in the same situation as the lie. It was meant to bring light to it I think; not maliciously. And he just couldn't take it anymore, or something of the nature.

allenrexler

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
My understanding is that it wasn't that he felt guilty and had to come clean but veterans who knew the truth were angry about it and finally decided to call him out on his baloney. It really is despicable, faking war accounts from propaganda purposes. Shame the United States does it too with exaggerating positive stories and creating heroes to be celebrated.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
After a decade of fooling people, he's going to apologize for it? It's a pity people like him are in the media. He got to where he is now by making idiots out of everyone. A chunk of these wars were to some extent aggravated by reckless and irresponsible media broadcasting. He's of those journalists people won't hesitate to throw to the wolves. NBC should sack him already.

Urhin

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
8 0 0
Country
Australia
It's not surprising. People in all industries do unethical things all the time to get ahead of the competition. The media industry isn't the only one that does this. And neither is this something that is unique to our times. There were so many lies being propagated during the early stages of the Vietnam War. Even though many of them came from the Lyndon B Johnson administration, they were propagated by the media which did little to check the facts.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The media sells lies to the public so they can be easily controlled or influenced to demand for action which a small group of people want [taken]. Believe not anything you read in the papers, on the net, see on TV, etc. Odds are more than half the news you hear is only partly true.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I reckon he only did apologize as he was called out on it and decided to do it wander if he will face any consequences for doing it as he did make up attack when it did not happen. He may have tried to get fame which he did but at the same time many people will not trust the company and think about anything from them is true or just made up. I reckon he wanted to sound like a survivor and get fame that he did survive a crash and will get more popular which did happen and took 10 years to get to the truth.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
I'm incredibly surprised that someone as venerable as Brian Williams did something like this. It just goes to show the lengths that people will go to to get the big stories. I've just watched 'Nightcrawler' this afternoon and it reminds me of the craziness of the news industry and what people are willing to do to get a story.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
This is nothing new really. Stories have been embellished and fabricated ever since the first newspaper was published. Williams' lie is particularly dishonorable though, especially towards the officers who were under attack.

Was the reason he confessed due to personal guilt or fear of being exposed? I can't make my mind up. Either way, he's destroyed his own credibility, that of NBC and the media as a whole.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
Now all they have to apologize for is the constant stream of disinformation that bombarded Americans prior to, during and after the Iraq war. Mainstream western news media is barely better than the state propaganda networks of other countries. The difference is that the fabrication and censorship is often voluntary, rather than being forced. Neither can compare to objective and factual information and proper critical thinking skills.

Cmok

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Honestly this doesn't come as a surprise at all. Credibility of media and politicians, if there ever was such a thing, has gone the drain long time ago. Anyone remember when Hilary Clinton got shot at with snipers in Bosnia? No? Probably because it never happened.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
What is the big news about? American media have been faking stories for a long time now. Why the sudden out cry and bashing of Brian Williams? I don't watch certain American news channels because they seem like propaganda to me. I only watch BBC and CNN.

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
My understanding is that it wasn't that he felt guilty and had to come clean but veterans who knew the truth were angry about it and finally decided to call him out on his baloney. It really is despicable, faking war accounts from propaganda purposes. Shame the United States does it too with exaggerating positive stories and creating heroes to be celebrated.
I guess I would feel the same way if someone claimed to have 'gone through what I've been through' when all they've done is "cross the street with their eyes closed" or something else that's 'lame' (compared to 'being hit by a speeding motor-vehicle & coming out of a coma & through years of therapy to get where I've gotten).

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
I guess I would feel the same way if someone claimed to have 'gone through what I've been through' when all they've done is "cross the street with their eyes closed" or something else that's 'lame' (compared to 'being hit by a speeding motor-vehicle & coming out of a coma & through years of therapy to get where I've gotten).

You summed up the sentiment exactly. It is like a guy who is in the US military and has a desk job claiming he went on the raid to kill Osmama Bin Laden. Yes the guy is in the military, but he didn't go on no raid, he is just making up stories to get attention.

That is not to say people in the military who are in service support, like desk jobs and cooks are not as important. Without those guy's front line soldiers would not get paid or eat, both are very important.