US Navy tests laser cannon | World Defense

US Navy tests laser cannon

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Not sure if this one will be a game changer, but if they can mount lasers on ships, soon they will be able to mount them on tanks and maybe even aircraft. Possibly they might be able to mount them on satellites even.

US navy shows off ship-based laser weapon in Persian Gulf

The 30-kilowatt laser is capable of destroying targets on speeding boats or even aircraft with pin-point accuracy, officials have said

US navy shows off ship-based laser weapon in Persian Gulf | US news | The Guardian

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA

Welcome to the new era of technology.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA

us-navy-laser.jpg

Remote-controlled-target-aircraft-as-it-is-hit-by-the-Laser-Weapon-System-LaWS.jpg

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
This looks amazing. It's incredible that we got technology so fast and so advanced. I do not know if I should be impressed or scared.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
The development of laser weapons, a tell-tale sign we are living in the future! In all seriousness, this is a cool huge step in weapons development. Laser-based weapons would be a revolutionary step over ballistic arms.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
@globulon at least you could have avoided some ballistic missiles. You're gonna have a bad time dodging lasers now.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I like the look of the design and can detect who is a foe or a friend and than will let the plane or ship pass if it is a friend or someone not fighting the navy which is good and easy to do now. I wander who pays the costs and how much to fire one and, is it working well and doing what it is meant to do and is it likely to malfunction when working. I heard it costs $1 dollar per shot to fire the laser and $40 million to build the laser cannon and hope the $1 dollar per shot is able to make returns as they may have to raise the cost if they are not making money back from this.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
So the device works only by heating up the ballistics by rays. Could this be countered by reflective surfaces?

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
The future is here I suppose. I don't think they'd be of much use on any platforms other than ships because they do use a lot of energy but they do make sense as tools for what they intend to use them for.

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania

Thanks for the picture! It really sums up the capabilities of this military masterpiece. I don't know about you guys, but I think this Laser weapon is just amazing. And this is just the beginning in my opinion, because they will surely improve it. Maybe even more power or better traking sensors. It looks like a successful project.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
US Navy's new laser weapon is ready for action.
They claim that it costs less than $1 a shot.

"Laser weapons are powerful, affordable and will play a vital role in the future of naval combat operations," Rear Adm. Matthew L. Klunder, chief of naval research, said in a statement. "We ran this particular weapon, a prototype, through some extremely tough paces, and it locked on and destroyed the targets we designated with near-instantaneous lethality."

Deadly, accurate and cost efficient.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Can't they do something similar for ground warfare? How about tanks, drones or fighter planes that fire lasers? Investing in laser type weapons would make a significant difference in war outcomes. I do think it would be wiser if countries refrain from announcing to the rest of the world the types of weapons they use for combat. Or, they could reserve a particular type and use it as their trump card during wars. This tactic would give them an advantage.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
Can't they do something similar for ground warfare? How about tanks, drones or fighter planes that fire lasers? Investing in laser type weapons would make a significant difference in war outcomes. I do think it would be wiser if countries refrain from announcing to the rest of the world the types of weapons they use for combat. Or, they could reserve a particular type and use it as their trump card during wars. This tactic would give them an advantage.

The US only announced their laser weapon late last year though its safe to assume that they have already thought of adding this weapon to the rest of their artillery. I'm kind of curious on how they will come up with a more compact version of that thing.