US-South Korea joint military drills announced | World Defense

US-South Korea joint military drills announced

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
US-North-Korea-joint-militrary-exercises.jpg

This exercise is about making cooperation between two militaries, who speak a different language, more effective, says the BBC's Stephen Evans

South Korea and the US have announced that their annual military drills will begin on 2 March - a move that will anger Pyongyang.

The exercises, called Key Resolve and Foal Eagle, always generate tension on the Korean peninsula.

Seoul and Washington call the drills defensive in nature. North Korea calls them a rehearsal for invasion.

Kay Resolve - a largely computer-simulated exercise - lasts 12 days and Foal Eagle eight weeks.

Foal Eagle involves tens of thousands of troops, with air, sea and ground components.

In a statement, the two nations' Combined Forces Command said North Korea had been informed of the exercises.

_72865460_017838715-1.jpg
Drills in 2013 led to a major spike in tensions with North Korea
The US has had troops permanently stationed in South Korea since the end of the Korean War.

The conflict ended in an armistice rather than a peace deal, and the two Koreas remain technically at war.

In January North Korea said it would offer a moratorium on nuclear testing if the joint exercises were cancelled. The US rejected this suggestion as an "implicit threat".

North Korea has conducted three nuclear tests, in 2006, 2009 and 2013. Six-nation talks aimed at ending its nuclear programme have been stalled since early 2009.

In 2013 the joint exercises led to a prolonged surge in tensions, with North Korea threatening pre-emptive nuclear strikes and cutting a military hotline with the South.

Drills in 2014 passed off relatively quietly, however.
BBC News - US-South Korea joint military drills announced

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
China might allied with North Korea very soon. China will pay a visit to NK I read in the news recently. If that happens then say bye to the US/South Korea.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
The US seems to have a lot of money and resources to waste with their military drills. I think the US should instead put in the effort to negotiate for peace between the two Koreas instead of siding with one and causing tensions. North Korea shouldn't feel threatened because I am sure China will come to their aid should a conflict break out.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
China might allied with North Korea very soon. China will pay a visit to NK I read in the news recently. If that happens then say bye to the US/South Korea.
Here's the issue with alliances forming in that region. If we look at history, the last time major alliances were formed in the face of an enemy was World War I. It would only escalate from there.

Now, if the US is just trying to help train the soldiers, than that's fine. But they should not put soldiers there just to make a point for fear of escalation.