US special operations in Africa | World Defense

US special operations in Africa

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
The US is at disagreement with the Nigerian government therefore, conducting special Ops against Boko Haram is very unlikely.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
It's unfortunate to hear that the US doesn't have very good relations with the Nigerian government. If there's any place that needs international intervention to drive off marauding militants, it is the region where Boko Haram is running loose. Hopefully effective African cooperation will eventually develop and eliminate these monsters.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
That is surprising. Since when did the U.S. care about good relations? As history itself is the witness, the U.S. has a knack for setting up bases close to their enemies. When they, along with the Allied forces, successfully defeated Japan, Germany and the rest of the Axis members, it did not hesitate to cripple Japan's military, reducing it to the role of "self-defence." My guess is that the U.S. has no immediate interest in the resources currently available in Africa. Perhaps once it has decided that diamonds are far more valuable than oil, then it may begin to take an interest in that continent.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
I think the lack of relationship between the two countries over the issue is more to do with the lack of cohesiveness in the Nigerian response than it is in the US trying to get involved. It definitely makes sense for the US or the UN to get some troops on the ground there, but it's difficult to see the Nigerians allowing it at the moment, even if it is sensible in an election year there.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
The US is at disagreement with the Nigerian government therefore, conducting special Ops against Boko Haram is very unlikely.

This is sad news. What do they disagree on? I thought that facing such a terrorist organization Nigeria would appeal to the world powers.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
This is sad news. What do they disagree on? I thought that facing such a terrorist organization Nigeria would appeal to the world powers.

The disagreement is because of Nigeria relation with Russia. If you read the news about month ago, Russia and Pakistan have supplied military equipment to Nigeria and that kind of pissed the US if you know what I mean.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
Its always eradicate the toxic elements of a country first then help the citizens later. But what happens when there is no one left to save? Militant groups have been turning children to be murders for decades instead of being given a better choice for survival. It never ends. By the time they manage to obliterate one hostile group, another is already on its way and ready to cause havoc. What they don't realize, their new problem mostly consists of the children suffering before that could have been saved.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
That is surprising. Since when did the U.S. care about good relations? As history itself is the witness, the U.S. has a knack for setting up bases close to their enemies. When they, along with the Allied forces, successfully defeated Japan, Germany and the rest of the Axis members, it did not hesitate to cripple Japan's military, reducing it to the role of "self-defence." My guess is that the U.S. has no immediate interest in the resources currently available in Africa. Perhaps once it has decided that diamonds are far more valuable than oil, then it may begin to take an interest in that continent.

Ouch... that is harsh. You also forgot to mention that after the US hit Japan (who attacked, unprovoked, the US at Pearl Harbor during WWII), the US helped the Japanese rebuild their nation and helped them to become a leader in the worlds technological engineering and now hold strong ties with one another.

The Axis countries (not just the US) decided to stamp down on their military's because of WWII (actually Germany's military was already stamped down on before that because of their involvement in WWI). The Japanese attacked the US and killed hundreds in a sneak attack without provocation. The US was at war with Germany and at that time Germany and Japan were not allied... Japan wanted to take advantage of the situation and take Hawaii while the US was distracted.

I am not saying that we are golden halos or anything. We got our horns too, but to say that we don't care about good relations??? I think that maybe a bit overly judgmental. It was the US that created the League of Nations now known as the United Nations and for years solely funded the United Nations in hopes that the UN would achieve global peace and prosperity. If we did not care about good relations we would not have been the ones to spur that about. It is for the sake of good relations that we are not involved with the situation with Africa. Think about it.... the US flies in with their troops without the African governments want or permission, what do you think would happen? I know I would be pretty pissed off if you come into my house and clean it with out me wanting it or giving you permission to do it.

The oil comment... well lets see.... you do realize the US has its own oil and have begun to start using it right? Hence the reason our gas prices have gone down so significantly in the past few months. Our government has been pushing for more Oil refineries and drills to be set up.

Now don't get me wrong... please... our government is a bit crappy now a days, but relations with other nations is of great importance to the people of this nation. We value those relations for various reasons, but the biggest reason is that we are a nation of nations. We are apart of other nations. Our people are a collection of people from all other nations. We have family and friends around the globe... why would relations with other nations not be a top priority. When it comes to politics, there is a lot of red duck tape and spiked hurtles one has to go through to achieve a margin of good. Unfortunately this hurtle is a bit more difficult a challenge right now. If the African government allows for the US to go in and clean house.... I am confident that our nation would go in charging. Especially as outraged as the people are of the events that are occurring over there.

(xTinx, you awesome! I love debating with you.)

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Ouch... that is harsh. You also forgot to mention that after the US hit Japan (who attacked, unprovoked, the US at Pearl Harbor during WWII), the US helped the Japanese rebuild their nation and helped them to become a leader in the worlds technological engineering and now hold strong ties with one another.

I understand your rhetorical outburst but the U.S. cares about its "reputation" more than its "good relations" (especially when it comes to countries where they can get nothing in return). Ask your own American soldiers if you don't believe a thing. When I said it doesn't care about good relations, I was using its relationship with Nigeria as the context and its relationship with Japan post-WWII as reference. FYI, Japan was already a growing power and it spearheaded technological innovations without America's help. America only drafted the post-WWII Japanese constitution to cripple its military but other than that, it has no pivotal contribution to the Japanese way of life.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Seeing as I grew up on a military base, I don't see the need to ask a soldier. LOL I have seen their kindness and cruelty on both hands. Believe me when I say this, inappropriate behavior is not acceptable to the citizens of the US.

Actually, that was not the US but the Axis powers... and with good reason. They jumped into the war with no provocation to seize an opportunity under the orders of their then Emperor (for the life of me I can't remember his name. I think it started with an S). After the war, the UN's judgement (there were trials and such, I think between 4 and 5 hundred of them) was that Japan was to be divided between the US and Russia and the Japanese people adopted a new form of government and wrote their constitution. This constitution eliminated all power from the Emperor and the title became nothing more then a symbol. In 1972 the US released their territories back into the hands of the Japanese people, Russia held on longer to theirs... can't remember when.

During the time that the US occupied Japan, they rebuilt everything that was destroyed and adding funding to various programs for Japan and its people. Why do you think that Japan and the US have such close ties now? The US became their biggest buyer for technologies and Japan became a technological power house (what is it with the Asian countries and their technology... LOL).

The current Japanese constitution followed the guidelines of the US' but it was their people who decided, not the US. If the US is who made it and they were so bad to the Japanese and such... then the Japanese would not hold such close ties with the US and still hold the Constitution from then? The Japanese have their self defense army even though they were denied by the Axis countries of having an Army because the US encouraged them to have one and plied for their right to have one. The US did not want to occupy Japan for long, that is why they left only a few years after the war ended. They in fact never wanted to occupy any nation over seas.

We are no Angels, but we are not the bad guys. In fact, we did not even want to get involved in either WWI or WWII. The US was dragged into WWI kicking and screaming and tried their best to stay out of the war. WWII they attempted to stay out until Hitler started going overboard and began slaughtering the Jews. The US then jumped in willingly to stop Hitler.... and that is when the Japanese attacked the US. Should the US have bombed Japan the way they did? Heck no, you ask anyone here and they will tell you it was a shameful moment in US history. It was overkill and the cost of innocent lives for the sake of revenge was intolerable. However, the past is the past... it can not be changed. All that happen is to move forward to a brighter future.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
The disagreement is because of Nigeria relation with Russia. If you read the news about month ago, Russia and Pakistan have supplied military equipment to Nigeria and that kind of pissed the US if you know what I mean.

Yes, there are always interests behind all stories and if Nigeria is "friends" with Russian and Pakistan, it cannot be with the US? So are we back in school or are we adults?

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, there are always interests behind all stories and if Nigeria is "friends" with Russian and Pakistan, it cannot be with the US? So are we back in school or are we adults?

Unfortunately when it comes to politics... we are back in grammar school.

Now here is a question to answer.... why is the US upset that Russia and Pakistan are giving weapons to Nigeria? Why do they have a problem with Nigeria having weapons? Is there something going on that prompted the US to be leary of Nigeria possessing weapons?

It is easy to focus on the event and not the story behind it. So what has been happening in Nigeria to prompt that anger from the US about them being armed?

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
The question to answer is eventually fairly simple Kimberly, the US is upset because most likely they would prefer to be the ones to sell them the weapons, I see no other reason.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Is that a factual estimation or a biased conclusion? I know that a large number of countries have a problem with the US, but majority of the time it is because of lack of information. For instance.... another member has accused the US of over taking everything and they run the UN. When in fact... the US is only a small part of the UN. There has never been a US member to Presidentially reside over the UN. The UN has prevented the US from helping other countries on various occasions. The US does not run the UN... The UK is also a large part of the UN, but every country (except a few who are still attempting to be recognized and allowed a seat in the UN) is represented at the UN and they as a collective are the deciding factor in the UN. If you look through UN history you will see that the US and the UN have gone head to head on several occasions because the UN stop the US from doing something. If the US was in control then the UN would not have stopped them. Then there is the matter of the US being the World Police.... actually that is the UN not the US. The US goes where they are asked to go and most times reluctantly.

I am not saying the US is not politically motivated and/or innocent of any wrong doing... but I seriously doubt that we are trying to sell our weapons to them. The US has been attempting to help build up Nigeria since the 1960's and has had good relations with them. If they are upset, there has to be a underlying reason and not so they could sell their weapons to them.

There is a lot of corruption in Nigeria right now. I have a friend from Nigeria (he has the coolest name. Ogonna, not sure of the spelling, it means eagle). He told me of some of the problems there and why he left. From what he told me.... I think the US is trying to keep weapons out of there for a very good reason.....