US urges wider challenge to China’s claims in South China Sea | World Defense

US urges wider challenge to China’s claims in South China Sea

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Vice Admiral Joseph Aucoin, the commander of the US Navy’s Seventh Fleet, said Australia and other countries should follow the US lead and conduct “freedom-of-navigation” naval operations. That is referring to the 12 nautical miles limit of contested islands in the South China Sea. Currently in Australia for high-level talks, Vice Admiral Aucoin has discussed growing concerns over the military expansion of China in the disputed region.

Read more at US urges wider challenge to China’s claims in South China Sea | mb.com.ph | Philippine News

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I think it's a very delicate and I don't mean to sound like Secretary John Kerry at all. China has not shown any hint of changing their goal when it come to matters in that region. The US is being careful as it waltzes with China around a table with several issues. Military aggression is not an option and there is hardly anything that the UN can do either. The World needs China and China knows it is next on the super-power list. All moves now are determined to shore up that inevitability.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
@Corzhens I couldn't get your link to open. I don't know if it was my equipment or the site. It said something about a database error. I'm putting a link to a story about this topic that I found, it's from a Hawaiian newspaper, and seems pretty similar to the one you posted. Top diplomats meet at fraught time between US, China | Honolulu Star-Advertiser

These days, I couldn't tell you what's going on with the federal government (US) since I don't always agree with them, and sometimes question their goals and motivations. As a nation, we are not looking to get into a war with China. However, China seems to like to bully its smaller neighboring countries, and sometimes needs to be put in check, and this seems to be what is currently happening.

UnslaadKrosis

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
India
I think a more diplomatic solution would be better. The US has this bad habit of attaching the word 'freedom' to everything and going to battle for the silliest of reason. China is not Iraq. A military action or even an economic sanction can prove to be devastating to the US and the world, for obvious reasons.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I think a more diplomatic solution would be better. The US has this bad habit of attaching the word 'freedom' to everything and going to battle for the silliest of reason. China is not Iraq. A military action or even an economic sanction can prove to be devastating to the US and the world, for obvious reasons.

Maybe you are right with US to be devastated but I have this reservation on China since they are not yet tested when it comes to a full blown war. Although we are not hoping for that (war) my take on that if it happens is that US will still prevail simply because of their long experience with wars and their armaments and war equipment that are available. The Chinese army has yet to prove their mettle in an actual war.

And I also agree that a diplomatic solution is the best.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
China will just keep on doing what they doing. There will be lots of roundtable discussion. However, the United States will not be able to police China like they have done other nations. China is now a world super-power and we all know the situation between super-powers lots of discussions and very little action.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
China will just keep on doing what they doing. There will be lots of roundtable discussion. However, the United States will not be able to police China like they have done other nations. China is now a world super-power and we all know the situation between super-powers lots of discussions and very little action.

China already is building more islands there and deploying more air defense weapons. Some reports that runways for military jets are constructed as well. Nobody can challenge their presence there anymore. All the US will be doing is sailing through the area every now and then. China got claim to natural resources there, but also in a future possible war they could close off the area. Which I believe is the controversy here, correct me if I'm wrong.

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I think the US is just caught in a saving face situation right now. We do have allies who would want us to push back against China, but it is obvious China is in no mood for stopping their progress. The Chinese agenda is based on a global blueprint, not just regional. China is right now the most strategic country in setting itself up for its role in leading the world.