US wants Thailand to be back to democracy | World Defense

US wants Thailand to be back to democracy

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
"Will anyone die if no elections are held?"

That was Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha's question earlier in the year whilst assessing the situation in the country. I believe that even if elections are held in 2017 they will be rigged and someone who will be the military's puppet will be elected president. If that's the sort of Democracy the US wants back in Thailand then there's no reason why those elections should be held.

moeller321

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I disagree with Redheart, although he is correct in thinking that the election would be corrupt, a corrupt election is still better than the current state of government. The fake democracy would at least have to appear to be legitimate in the would view, this may solve some of Thailand's human rights issues. The fake democracy could also be legitimized overtime. Either way, doing something is almost always better than doing nothing.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Despite the U.S's good intentions there are some Thais who don't want change anymore because Democracy has been one huge letdown for them. I agree though that instead of giving up and letting some military dictators rule the country forever elections would be a good first step towards fixing the broken democracy. To fix it though it will take a really long time.