US warns of further sanctions against Russia | World Defense

US warns of further sanctions against Russia

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Good. Russia is one of our biggest enemies in the world. Theres nothing positive you can point to say they are any different than the Soviet Union days. I'm not sure sanctions will do much but its better than the alternative of doing nothing.

haitch

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Russia could be pushing their luck soon. at some point one nation will decide to take action, or Russia will claim that their planes, boats etc. were attacked. i think that overall the rest of the world, sans china, will be against them. they certainly need to tread carefully.

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
Russia could be pushing their luck soon. at some point one nation will decide to take action, or Russia will claim that their planes, boats etc. were attacked. i think that overall the rest of the world, sans china, will be against them. they certainly need to tread carefully.

Everyone is pushing their luck. Maybe America has no tie to Russia and could live pretty well with Russia stopping any friendliness, and they would be far away and shielded in case of a war breaking out. Europe? Not so much. Russia provides a lot of natural resources necessary to normal life, such a gas (heating in the winter is a pretty big deal, too) and in case a war breaks out, Europe is right there in the middle, and in a perfect position to get the brunt of any Russian attack.

US people can act like it would be all good and fine to push for war, but in reality, it's not.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I wonder how Russia reacted given that the warning was said in their own state. Why does US keep interfering in such matters. Shouldn't it be between Ukraine and Russia? Well, it would have been acceptable if Ukraine asked for help, and I think it did. The problem is that Russians don't see that Ukraine really wants to separate itself from Russia, at least culturally speaking. What they believe instead is that Ukraine is backed up by US because US is using the Ukraine to weaken Russia further.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really think these sanctions will achieve that much as have previous once. I mean, all they seem to achieve is make Putin fly planes over countries to show his power. Sanctions aren't going to stop Putin from showing his power again.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Total economic blockade would sound great - no, it's one of the most viable options available. I doubt Russia can still pursue its political ambitions once its trade relationships with other countries start to crumble. They think they're invincible now because of China and NoKor's support. But for how long will these communist countries scratch Russia's back? China can't keep at it if it wants to focus its energy on usurping the islands of Shoal and Senkaku. As for NoKor, what exactly can it bring to the table? Plutonium? Fat chance.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I also doubt that sanctioning Russia would force them to do the right thing: let Ukraine be. Ukraine is a sovereign country. They don't need Russia's approval to join the EU or NATO. But the sanctions they think will bring Russia to it's knees [cutting it out of the global SWIFT network] would mean WAR.

Medvedev Warns Of "Unlimited Reaction" If Russia Cut From SWIFT | Zero Hedge
"While nations around the world continue to de-dollarize, Russia signed into law its anti-crisis plan today (though details will not be released until tomorrow). Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, however, was quite vociferous in some of his threats, warning The West that the "Russian response - economically and otherwise - will know no limits" if Russia is cut off from the SWIFT payments system. "

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Putin is just shaking in his boots, USA plans to sanction things like skis, skates, baseball equipment and basketballs. Sanctions for a large country like Russia which borders China is a joke. Pretty much everything Russia wants they can get from China. USA can not put sanctions on China because too much electronic goods come from China.

Sanctions in most cases are just a way for politicans to make themselves look important.