Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Gareth Jennings, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
10 February 2015
http://www.janes.com/article/48878/usaf-returns-a-10s-to-europe
1345293_-_main.jpg

With its 30 mm Gatlin gun, the A-10 is one of the most potent and feared platforms in the USAF inventory. Its redeployment to Europe is designed to send a clear message of Western intent and resolve over the crisis in Ukraine. Source: US Air Force
The US Air Force (USAF) is returning a detachment of Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II ground attack aircraft to Europe as part of a theatre security package (TSP) in support of Operation 'Atlantic Resolve'.

The deployment was announced by the US Air Force in Europe (USAFE) on 10 February. Twelve aircraft and approximately 300 personnel from the 355th Fighter Wing, based at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base (AFB) in Arizona, will be assigned to the 52nd Fighter Wing at Spangdahlem Air Base in Germany. All of the assets should be in place by the end of February.

According to the USAFE, the TSPs will augment the air force's existing efforts under Operation 'Atlantic Resolve', conducting flying training deployments and off-station training with NATO allies to further enhance interoperability. Once training in Germany is compete, the A-10s will forward deploy to locations in Eastern European NATO nations.

This is the first of several TSP deployments to Europe, with rotations set to last about six months depending on mission and United States European Command requirements. Albeit a first in Europe, the USAF has been conducting similar TSP rotations in the Pacific region since 2004.

IAI teams up with local firm to build Bird-Eye UAS in India - IHS Jane's 360

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I just hope that this deployment does not lead to an escalation in the tensions that are already running high over Ukraine. I seen a report that the West was responsible for this escalation, but I am curious how true that is. W0uld be interesting to see who was really at fault for the escalation.