Vietnam seizes intruding Chinese vessel | World Defense

Vietnam seizes intruding Chinese vessel

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
A Chinese vessel was seized by Vietnam's coast guard for allegedly intruding in its waters.

Vietnam’s coast guard, in a rare move has seized a Chinese vessel for allegedly intruding in its waters, state media reported Monday. The vessel has been towed to the northern port city of Hai Phong, and that the ship, its captain and two sailors, all Chinese, are under the custody of Vietnamese authorities, Thanh Nien newspaper said. The vessel was disguised as a fishing boat but was carrying 100,000 liters of diesel.

Read more at Vietnam seizes intruding Chinese vessel | mb.com.ph | Philippine News

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
Where exactly is the coordinate the seize of the ship took place?
I remember when they reported "China put an oil rig in the water off Vietnam", I checked the coordinate they provided, it was not anywhere near Vietnam, but actually closer to China than it was to Vietnam. Since multiple areas are in dispute, each side will always report the opposite side is "in our water". Yes, the US media is always on the opposite side of China. So there you go.

Last edited:

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
It certainly seems that things are heating up in the region. I'm surprised to hear that Vietnam seized a Chinese ship, but good for them, if it was in fact trespassing or encroaching on their territory. It seems bullies are always willing to wave their fists in our faces until they are stood up to, and then often back down. It remains to be seen whether that will be the case with China, but I doubt they would want to go to a situation of all out war over the issue.

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Either Vietnam is confident in being in the right or Vietnam is confident in the alliances it has that'll prevent China bullying the outcome of this situation.
Has there been any reports of a bigger power being so ballsy against China recently?
Vietnam has got a spine! (wrongly or rightly, still brave)

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
I actually paid more attention to the OP's source this time. It is a web site from Philippines. Of course Philippines will report things against China. Then again, I have seen exactly the same "news" on Yahoo with exactly words in the entire article. So it is basically a quote, not really "news".

As for the so called "Vietnamese water", have you guys actually looked at the Vietnamese claim? I agree that China's claim looks ridiculous on paper but they do have historical reasons for claiming it, while Vietnamese claim is not less ridiculous if you actually see their map. At least China's claim in the sea isn't bigger than China itself. Vietnam's claim is several times the size of Vietnam.

Basically anything within Vietnamese' blue line of claim is "in Vietnamese water".

main-qimg-a2ff9a42addf633e3105fd655b40907f

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Vietnam is just trying a to show that it's more powerful than it really is. Sooner than later it will have to come to some amicable agreement with China in this situation. The point is that China could retaliate and Vietnam would be on its own because there is no country that will go up against China on behalf of Vietnam, so the talk about alliance is not realistic in this event.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
Vietnam is just trying a to show that it's more powerful than it really is. Sooner than later it will have to come to some amicable agreement with China in this situation. The point is that China could retaliate and Vietnam would be on its own because there is no country that will go up against China on behalf of Vietnam, so the talk about alliance is not realistic in this event.

Vietnam always thought they were one of the most powerful. Have you looked at their propaganda? They claim they have defeated the French, the Americans, and the Chinese ... all on their own. This is far from the truth. They received tons of supplies from China and Russia when they were fighting the first two adversaries. Their troops were actually commanded by Chinese military advisors during the war against the French. They had no concept of modem warfare until they learned it from the Chinese advisors.

During Vietnam War against the Americans, China alone provided not only weapons, but also enough rice to free up Vietnamese farmers from their field to join the army. Vietnam had no industry to even produce low tech weaponry at the time. Every gun, every bullet, every artillery, tank, aircraft, missile were made in either China or Russia. A lot of anti-aircraft batteries were even manned by Chinese and Russians. Tons of Chinese and Russian military advisers were working in Vietnam. Without these two countries' support, no way North Vietnam could have taken over South Vietnam. They'd fall as quick as Iraq in 2003.

In the war against China, it was truth that China overestimated the casualty they would have taken. I have heard it was over 3,000 on the first day and all the field hospitals were overloaded. However, Vietnam had not won a single battle during the conflict. They were always on the retreat and took even heavier casualty than the Chinese. It was China who pulled back the troops on their own.