Violence Erupts in Baltimore, State of Emergency Issued | World Defense

Violence Erupts in Baltimore, State of Emergency Issued

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
Baltimore_MD_Map.jpg

National guard troops are deployed in front of Baltimore City Hall this morning and a state of emergency has been issued after violence erupted in the city Monday afternoon.

About 500 guardsmen are supporting law enforcement in Baltimore, according to Maryland National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Charles Kohler, with plans to increase their presence to 2,000.

Numerous fires were reported overnight and Baltimore police reported people throwing cinder blocks at fire engines as firefighters worked to extinguish the flames.

A citywide curfew will be in effect from 10 p.m. today until 5 a.m. Wednesday. The 10 p.m. curfews will last for one week, mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said, and could be extended as necessary. A 9 p.m. curfew is already in effect for children 14 and younger.

"This is not a lawless city," Rawlings-Blake said. "I'm at a loss for words."

Baltimore City Public Schools will also be closed today, and a Baltimore Orioles-Chicago White Sox baseball game could possibly be moved to Washington, D.C.

Fifteen officers were injured, six seriously during Monday’s violence, Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said in a news conference. Those injuries are not expected to be life-threatening.

"This is not protesting, this is not your First Amendment rights,” he said. “This is criminal acts.”

Monday’s standoff began near the Mondawmin Mall in the northwest part of the city, the Baltimore Police Department said, as the group threw bricks, rocks and other objects at officers. Protesters were seen climbing on a police cruiser and damaging several others, and fires broke out, including flames that engulfed a community center project.

The unrest was sparked by the death of Freddie Gray, who died after being in police custody. Gray’s mother, speaking the night of the 25-year-old’s funeral, made a plea for peace.

“I want you all to get justice for my son, but don’t do it like this here. Don’t tear up the whole city just for him,” Gloria Darden said. “It’s wrong.”

Rawlings-Blake, speaking to reporters late Monday, decried the violence and property damage.

"People say they care about their community and want to be heard, but you can’t care about your community and do what they did," Rawlings-Blake said.

"I understand anger, but what we’re seeing isn't anger, it’s destruction of a community."

Newly minted Attorney General Loretta Lynch also weighed in on the situation in Baltimore, condemning the “senseless acts of violence by some individuals in Baltimore.”

“The Department of Justice stands ready to provide any assistance that might be helpful,” Lynch added. “The Civil Rights Division and the FBI have an ongoing, independent criminal civil rights investigation into the tragic death of Mr. Gray.”

Monday's clash at the mall follows a volatile weekend in Baltimore. Protests that started off peacefully Saturday turned violent by afternoon in downtown Baltimore. Protests were also held during Gray's wake Sunday.
150428_atm_baltimore_riots_16x9_992.jpg

AP_Baltimore_fire_bc_150427_16x9_608.jpg

AP_BALTIMORE_150427_DG_16x9_608.jpg

AP_BALTIMORE2_150427_DG_16x9_608.jpg

I put this in world affairs because it says not to discuss internal issues in Americas forum, only politics and strategy.

Last edited:

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Where is Baltimore? LOL if its far from where I live then I don't care.|0|

I just hope that people don't get hurt.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I hope this go beyond the State of Maryland to all US states.

Can you bring us some clear photos of the NG so we can discuss from a military prospective the gear and equipment used by them?

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
I hope this go beyond the State of Maryland to all US states.

Can you bring us some clear photos of the NG so we can discuss from a military prospective the gear and equipment used by them?
I will look for such photos.

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is what I could find, idk if you can tell what the weapons are tho.

Where is Baltimore? LOL if its far from where I live then I don't care.|0|

I just hope that people don't get hurt.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
When are they going to realize that it would be a lot easier and a lot less bloody if they just help cops accountable rather than a I've the law. Rioting and looting is childish and counterproductive. But protesting against another police officer committing another blatant murder is apparently the only chance we have of MAYBE not being subject to Marshall law. It doesn't scare me that the riots are happening, but it terrifies the hell out of me that its for a really good reason.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
People have been protesting and looting and trying to show they will not lay down and be walked over anymore and will resort to violence if they get pushed around especially with tension and misleading words said. It looks like this is going to continue since some may make it a race issue and also mislead others by fighting amongst each other and the cops as well to get revenge. Some may try and lay blame for the actions and also it will, take time to end this and hope it ends soon.

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
I think its really ridiculous to start violent protests and riots and cause damage to other people's property for the reasons that they did. What did those people do to you? How is destroying other's cars going to fix the problem here. Even the mother of the person killed are saying that it is not right what they are doing, tearing up a whole city is not the way to fix this, or to avenge him.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I think its really ridiculous to start violent protests and riots and cause damage to other people's property for the reasons that they did. What did those people do to you? How is destroying other's cars going to fix the problem here. Even the mother of the person killed are saying that it is not right what they are doing, tearing up a whole city is not the way to fix this, or to avenge him.
I agree about rioting and looting not necessarily being the right way to go. Unfortunately, over the past decade peaceful protests have been met with pepperspray and more death. Do you remember Occupy Berkely? Do you remember reading about how many pregnant women were beaten by the cops and how many people nearly lost their lives? If peaceful protest and signing petitions, that are only going to be used as toilet paper before it gets to where it needs to go, doesn't work how SHOULD the people react to a militarized police force that kills innocent civilians? What if your child was next? How would you react? Picket lines and sit ins that just get broken up with night sticks and pepperspray? The people have run out of peaceful and respectful options for expressing their grievances.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom

I agree that rioting is no way to attempt to bring about social change but I can also understand the frustration of the people of Baltimore, knowing that their police department is responsible for a completely unnecessary death. I wouldn't have any trust in the police if this had happened within my area and I'd certainly be joining in with any non-violent protest (for all the good it would do). For the record, I see the incident as police brutality first and foremost.