Walmart to halt selling some military-grade weapons | World Defense

Walmart to halt selling some military-grade weapons

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Walmart to halt selling some military-grade weapons - BBC News

US retailer Walmart has announced it will stop selling certain military-grade guns due to low sales.

That includes AR-15 rifles and other semiautomatic weapons, which were only being sold at a third of the 4,600 Walmart stores in the US.

A company spokesman said the decision to stop selling the guns "wasn't political."

Walmart shops carrying the guns will remove them before the store starts selling autumn merchandise.

"It's similar to what we do with any product. Being what it is, it gets a little more attention, but it's the same process for any product," said spokesman Kory Lundberg.

The company has not released specific sales numbers for the guns it is taking off the shelves, but said it will increase its stock of shotguns and other more popular rifles.
Image caption Shareholders have put pressure on Wal-Mart to stop selling AR-15s before

Walmart shareholders have pushed the company to re-think its selling of guns with high-capacity magazines.

Semi-automatic AR-15 rifles were used in the Sandy Hook massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, and the movie theatre shooting in Aurora, Colorado.

In 2006 the company decreased the number of stores selling guns, but does not plan on stopping gun sales completely, Mr Lundberg said.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Pardon my ignorance but I was quite surprised with the title of this thread. It hit me like, really? I thought Walmart sells only food items and clothing and some personal things but not guns. Gee, I'm really very surprised. But anyway, Walmart is to stop selling not for anything else but due to low sales of the semi-automatic and other guns that can really kill. Good for them or good for the public?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
They might say that this isn't a political decision but it does seem a little convenient...In any case, this is a decision that should be welcomed. Anything which might help prevent guns getting into the hands of the wrong people has to be worth a try.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Pardon my ignorance but I was quite surprised with the title of this thread. It hit me like, really? I thought Walmart sells only food items and clothing and some personal things but not guns. Gee, I'm really very surprised. But anyway, Walmart is to stop selling not for anything else but due to low sales of the semi-automatic and other guns that can really kill. Good for them or good for the public?
The sporting goods section sells them in all the stores I have been in, personally. But I have never seen an AR-15 in there. I wish I had, though. The ones I've been in have only sold .22 rifles and shotguns.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Like @LilAnn I've never seen an AR-15 in Walmart, just the sporting and home defense type guns.

When someone buys a gun in the U.S. legally (unlike the criminals who buy them illegally on the streets of the U.S. and other countries), there is a waiting period and a background check, so it's doubtful that a person with known issues would go into any shop and legally buy a gun. Also, when someone buys a gun legally, in addition to a background check, the gun is then registered to them, so if it turns up at a crime scene later on, it can be traced back to the person who purchased it.

Criminals don't follow the rules, that's what makes them criminals. They don't think hey, I'll go rob a bank in a couple of days, so let me pop into Walmart and start the background check process, so I'll have my gun by the time I want to commit the crime. Criminals know where to go to buy illegal weapons, whether they be guns, machetes, explosives, etc.

I first saw this story on social media, and the gun enthusiasts commenting all agreed that sales of the AR-15 have been down across the board, not just at Walmart. I think Walmart is simply making a decision that they feel will benefit them both financially and politically.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Like @LilAnn I've never seen an AR-15 in Walmart, just the sporting and home defense type guns.

Criminals don't follow the rules, that's what makes them criminals. They don't think hey, I'll go rob a bank in a couple of days, so let me pop into Walmart and start the background check process, so I'll have my gun by the time I want to commit the crime. Criminals know where to go to buy illegal weapons, whether they be guns, machetes, explosives, etc.

If you would analyze the situation, that is the crux of the matter - criminals don't follow the law and as you said, that's what makes them criminals. I agree that law-abiding citizens somewhat deserve to own a gun since they had passed through a process. However, there are cases that point to the contrary.

A college student named Eldon Maguan had an altercation with Rolito Go about a traffic violation. Go shot Maguan dead. Mr. Go used a licensed gun, like those other killers on the loose using licensed gun to kill people for a simple traffic altercation. That's the essence of the gun ban advocates here.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I would like to know why military grade weapons are available for retail sale anywhere in this country. I think that is totally irresponsible that this is legal. No one should have access to these kinds of things for personal use. What could you possibly need it for?

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I think the USA is the only country in the world you can do your grocery shopping and get a automatic rifle at the same place. Their love for guns is ruining the entire region because US made guns find there way into other countries in the region and contributes to the high murder rates in countries such as Honduras and Mexico.