War erupts between Armenia and Azerbaijan | World Defense

War erupts between Armenia and Azerbaijan

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Heavy fighting erupts between Armenian and Azeri forces
Officials from each country blame the other for the fighting that began overnight in disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.

Heavy fighting has broken out between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces along the frontlines of the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, governments of both the countries said on Saturday.

Officials from each country blamed the other for the fighting that began overnight. There were no immediate figures on casualties.

The Armenian Defence Ministry spokesperson Artsrun Hovhannisyan claimed on a Facebook post that Armenian forces in the region shot down an Azeri military helicopter, a claim denied by the Azerbaijan government.

Nagorno-Karabakh has been under the control of Armenian military and separatists since a war between Armenia and Azerbaijan ended in 1994. Years of negotiations have brought little progress in resolving the dispute.

"Active combat is currently under way," Hovhannisyan said. "The Armenian Army has launched a counter-attack. There are victims on both sides but the opposing side has sustained huge losses in manpower and equipment. A [Azerbaijani] helicopter has been shot down." .

The self-styled Nagorno-Karabakh Defence Ministry said on Twitter that Azerbaijan attacked Karabakh villages and military units with artillery and air forces, killing a child and wounding two.
"Karabakh army conducts effective protection, causing serious losses to Azerbaijan. We shot down a helicopter attacking to our positions," the Twitter account said.

The Azerbaijani Defence Ministry, quoted by Russian media, said in response that "the information about the downed helicopter was absolute lie and all vehicles were in place. It was another provocation on the part of Armenia".

The ministry also said the fighting began when Armenian forces fired mortars and large-calibre artillery shells across the front line.

Heavy fighting erupts between Armenian and Azeri forces - AJE News

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Azerbaijani armed forces liberate settlements, strategic Heights

ceasefire_newnew.jpg

A breakthrough of the forefront defense line of the Armenian army has been achieved, several strategic heights and settlements released on April 2, Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry said in a statement.

The breakthrough took place as the result of counter-attack of the Azerbaijani army on the frontline, according to the ministry.

Six Armenian tanks, 15 gun mounts and reinforced engineering structures have been destroyed and more than 100 servicemen of the Armenian armed forces were wounded and killed during the fights, the ministry said.

Twelve servicemen of the Azerbaijani armed forces heroically died, one Mi-24 helicopter was shot down and one tank damaged by a mine, according to the ministry.

The leadership of the ministry expresses its condolences to the families of the deceased servicemen of the Azerbaijani armed forces.

The counter-attack was made following provocations of the Armenian armed forces on the night of April 2, which resulted in deaths and injuries of civilians. The decision on the response measures on the Aghdere-Terter-Aghdam and Khojavand-Fuzuli directions was made by the command of the Azerbaijani armed forces.

As a result of the operation, the heights near the village of Talish, which were posing a threat to the Goranboy district and Naftalan city, as well as the Seysulan settlement, have been cleared of the enemy forces.

In order to protect the city of Horadiz, the Azerbaijani army took the height ‘Lale Tepe’ under its control, which allowed to carry out supervision of a large area.

At present, strengthening work is being held at these altitudes, trenches constructed.

The Defense Ministry highly appreciated the combat skills, military experience and morale of its personnel.

The ministry also said that if Armenia repeats attempts to violate the ceasefire, more powerful and devastating blows will be inflicted upon the enemy.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.

The two countries signed a ceasefire agreement in 1994. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, Russia, France and the US are currently holding peace negotiations.

Armenia has not yet implemented the UN Security Council's four resolutions on withdrawal of its armed forces from the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding districts.
Azerbaijani armed forces liberate settlements, strategic heights - AzerNews

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Interesting, this disputed area hasn't seen this level of combat since 1994. I was going to say it is an usual skirmish, but the army of Azerbaijan is deploying there as we speak according to initial reports. Will this tone down? I do believe so.

If it doesn't, people will point fingers at either Turkey or Russia. Citing the theories that Russia seeks to humiliate Turkey's interests in the region, or that Turkey wants Russia to concentrate on Armenia and damage operational capabilities in Syria. And lastly, you will have those who blame the US/Nato, claiming this is their campaign to drag Russia into numerous conflicts.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Armenian tanks headed to disputed region:

Azerbaijani armed forces liberate settlements, strategic Heights

ceasefire_newnew.jpg

A breakthrough of the forefront defense line of the Armenian army has been achieved, several strategic heights and settlements released on April 2, Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry said in a statement.

The breakthrough took place as the result of counter-attack of the Azerbaijani army on the frontline, according to the ministry.

Six Armenian tanks, 15 gun mounts and reinforced engineering structures have been destroyed and more than 100 servicemen of the Armenian armed forces were wounded and killed during the fights, the ministry said.

Twelve servicemen of the Azerbaijani armed forces heroically died, one Mi-24 helicopter was shot down and one tank damaged by a mine, according to the ministry.

The leadership of the ministry expresses its condolences to the families of the deceased servicemen of the Azerbaijani armed forces.

The counter-attack was made following provocations of the Armenian armed forces on the night of April 2, which resulted in deaths and injuries of civilians. The decision on the response measures on the Aghdere-Terter-Aghdam and Khojavand-Fuzuli directions was made by the command of the Azerbaijani armed forces.

As a result of the operation, the heights near the village of Talish, which were posing a threat to the Goranboy district and Naftalan city, as well as the Seysulan settlement, have been cleared of the enemy forces.

In order to protect the city of Horadiz, the Azerbaijani army took the height ‘Lale Tepe’ under its control, which allowed to carry out supervision of a large area.

At present, strengthening work is being held at these altitudes, trenches constructed.

The Defense Ministry highly appreciated the combat skills, military experience and morale of its personnel.

The ministry also said that if Armenia repeats attempts to violate the ceasefire, more powerful and devastating blows will be inflicted upon the enemy.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.

The two countries signed a ceasefire agreement in 1994. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, Russia, France and the US are currently holding peace negotiations.

Armenia has not yet implemented the UN Security Council's four resolutions on withdrawal of its armed forces from the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding districts.
Azerbaijani armed forces liberate settlements, strategic heights - AzerNews

Do you believe this is random or calculated move?

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Armenian tanks headed to disputed region:

Do you believe this is random or calculated move?
Three options:1-either calculated because of Russia being busy with Ukraine and Syria.
2-Azerbaijan could have made a deal with Russia somehow.
My guess is the third option, Azerbaijan got a push from Obama which would mean a three front war for Russia(big risk) so that it has to give up either Ukraine(high probability) or Syria(doubt it).

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
@Gasoline

I would not call this all out war, but this is an nice infographic:

It seems like Azerbaijan is trying to take over the acclaimed region which it says historically belongs to it:
map-nagorno-karabakh-01.gif

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Three options:1-either calculated because of Russia being busy with Ukraine and Syria.
My guess is the third option, Azerbaijan got a push from Obama which would mean a three front war for Russia(big risk) so that it has to give up either Ukraine(high probability) or Syria(doubt it).

My guess is Turkey and US are pushing Azerbaijan to action, to put pressure on Russia for Syria talks? Or try stalling regime offensive against ISIS? Since it is race to Raqqa at this moment. Whatever the case, this is more than a skirmish, it still could be resolved soon though.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Interesting, this disputed area hasn't seen this level of combat since 1994. I was going to say it is an usual skirmish, but the army of Azerbaijan is deploying there as we speak according to initial reports. Will this tone down? I do believe so.

If it doesn't, people will point fingers at either Turkey or Russia. Citing the theories that Russia seeks to humiliate Turkey's interests in the region, or that Turkey wants Russia to concentrate on Armenia and damage operational capabilities in Syria. And lastly, you will have those who blame the US/Nato, claiming this is their campaign to drag Russia into numerous conflicts.
Forget Turkiye,Aliyev doesnt trust Erdogan(nobody does).

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA

I don't think Azerbaijan will risk it for the sake of Obama. Its basically give me my thing back as I understand Azerbaijan is trying to take the disputed area back which Armenia is occupying...correct me if I'm wrong.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
My guess is Turkey and US are pushing Azerbaijan to action, to put pressure on Russia for Syria talks? Or try stalling regime offensive against ISIS? Since it is race to Raqqa at this moment. Whatever the case, this is more than a skirmish, it still could be resolved soon though.
Tomorrow,there is a referendum on Ukraine(association agreement) all over the EU,what a coincidence huh?