We gave up 5 terrorists for a deserter.... | World Defense

We gave up 5 terrorists for a deserter....

User911

BANNED
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
I'm sure you've heard the story by now that Bowe Bergdahl is being charged with desertion. I am ashamed to say that I initially supported this guy months before he was released. I didn't know him personally at all and I just stumbled upon the Facebook page that his supporters had for him. The typical sob story about "let's bring Bowe home" with NO mention that he actually was suspected of desertion at the time of his capture.

When I first heard of his release, I thought it was great but then quickly found out about the real details of his case. I think I usually do a pretty good job with discernment and I am in no way a very trusting person, but in this case, I got this one wrong.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
For me the issue is: when should your country turn its back on you? The key word is "suspected". Desertion or not, he is entitled to the same treatment as everyone else.

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I think he deserted and he knew that he deserted. From what I have read he had been listed as deserting before and why not leave again, but this time get captured?

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Yes that was a ridiculous deal. First of all, since when does America negotiate with terrorists? Secondly... this Berghdal dude put A LOT of the men next to him in danger by doing what he did... it was simply idiotic. What the hell was he thinking? Ohh I'll take a walk here in Afghanistan? He would have deserved life in the shithole he was being kept in when he was captured.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
So a man risk his life to go and fight in a war for his country and because he is a suspected deserter then he must pay the price with his life? If this is the message being sent by the US government then I think the soldiers should not go to any more war for the US.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Out of all the blunders Obama has made I think this is one of the worst. The troops who served this weasel knew he was a deserter. Yet the administration made a horrific deal and went around calling him a hero despite knowing that he was far from it. He is a traitor plain and simple. There's no doubt about it. He should be punished to the full extent of the law.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
Yes that was a ridiculous deal. First of all, since when does America negotiate with terrorists? Secondly... this Berghdal dude put A LOT of the men next to him in danger by doing what he did... it was simply idiotic. What the hell was he thinking? Ohh I'll take a walk here in Afghanistan? He would have deserved life in the shithole he was being kept in when he was captured.
Agreed! We have NEVER negotiated with terrorists until this clown took over DC! It's not something America does. I think it was a good excuse to release some terrorists that somebody had sympathy for, pure and simple.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
He is not a man when its true that he deserted,what a puss.

User911

BANNED
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
Actually, there was about a half dozen men who were killed when they went looking for him. At least one additional guy was severely injured, although he is still alive. I saw something on Facebook from the wife of the guy who was injured. She had some choice words for Bergdahl. Her husband is grossly injured and will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair... Bergdahl should have never joined the military. Why he did in the first place is beyond reasoning.

JPB_003

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
The deal ended up bad, but it hard to predict when there isn't enough info. If we did nothing and he was killed, people would have said we are being to cold-hearted, lacking thought, etc...

It's really a no win situation, and even though the deal was terrible, I don't think we can shout to much blame on anyone except him for deserting.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
The deal ended up bad, but it hard to predict when there isn't enough info. If we did nothing and he was killed, people would have said we are being to cold-hearted, lacking thought, etc...

It's really a no win situation, and even though the deal was terrible, I don't think we can shout to much blame on anyone except him for deserting.

It was a well known fact that he was a deserter. It wasn't really in the media, but you can be sure that people knew what happened. So that is not really a good excuse for making a horrible deal.

Rebel

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
19 1 0
Country
USA
For me the issue is: when should your country turn its back on you?

The answer is when you turn your back on your nation...your nation turns it back on you. Bowe Bergdahl deserted. He renounced his affiliation with the US Army and joined the enemy. At that point we can hardly say we're leaving a man behind because that in turn suggests that he wanted to come back - but he didn't. He was where he wanted to be. The evidence is clearly against him, and considering the support given already by the Obama administration, if the Army is pursuing court martial it is only because there was no other alternative - they must have a landslide case against him. Then again much of the evidence has come out from interviews with his former comrades, commanders, etc. Bergdahl will get his dose of karma.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
The media still seems to be taking up for the guy. Personally I feel he should be charged for treason. I definitely feel as though his actions warrant it. It sounds like hes going to get off with a really light sentence though unfortunately.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
The media still seems to be taking up for the guy. Personally I feel he should be charged for treason. I definitely feel as though his actions warrant it. It sounds like hes going to get off with a really light sentence though unfortunately.
He's definitely a traitor, but look at his boss! Corruption in business usually filters down from the top, it's probably no different in a government that is being run like a shady business.