What are the geopolitical dynamics behind Putin's visit to Egypt? | World Defense

What are the geopolitical dynamics behind Putin's visit to Egypt?

Laura Greenbrier

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I was riveted to listen to an NPR story today about Putin's visit to Egypt and his rapturous reception there--street parades, a nationwide celebration, the Russian anthem ringing out in the streets of Cairo...

...but why? Does Putin seek some sort of strategic alliance with Egypt? What is his long-term goal? What is Egypt's? Why is Egypt courting and welcoming Putin? What does this mean to American interests in the region? How would you parse this recent visit, and what are your thoughts?

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
It's obvious that many Muslim countries despise the United States. Some may outwardly feel friendly because of economic concerns but the bulk of their citizenry have suppressed or unexpressed animosity toward Americans. Putin is banking on this animosity to win allies to his side. Or, he is trying to bargain with Egypt and launch another proxy war.

wise_turtle

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I was riveted to listen to an NPR story today about Putin's visit to Egypt and his rapturous reception there--street parades, a nationwide celebration, the Russian anthem ringing out in the streets of Cairo...

...but why? Does Putin seek some sort of strategic alliance with Egypt? What is his long-term goal? What is Egypt's? Why is Egypt courting and welcoming Putin? What does this mean to American interests in the region? How would you parse this recent visit, and what are your thoughts?

Great question Laura, here's the best I can come up with. Since the US threw Mubarak under the bus in 2011 during the Arab Spring protests, it's unlikely that Sisi is going to be feeling secure in a relationship with the US. Remember that Sisi came to power after throwing out Mubaraks replacement Morsi who was the leader of the now outlawed Muslim Brotherhood. There are a few things that Putin could see in Egypt though, perhaps an opportunity for an arms deal to bolster his nations floundering oil export dependent economy, or perhaps a chance to further influence events in the broader region as the Syrian conflict continues to spiral out of control. There is of course more to the story I'm sure and Egypt is not my area of expertise, I wonder if anyone else has any ideas?