What does Russia want; why does it isolate itself? | World Defense

What does Russia want; why does it isolate itself?

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
It's really a wonder to me why Russia is keeping itself isolated from the other superpowers of Europe like UK, France and Germany? Are they mad because of their alliance with America, that they preferred to be allied with America instead of them? It's really a wonder to me, and I really want to know because Russia is a strong country filled with rich history and talented people. They excel in almost all fields like America.

sillylucy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
You made some good points here. I think that because Russia is so large and talented they feel like they don't even need the help of these allies. I am sure that not all Russians feel this way. It is probably just the policy makers who do.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I thing Russia is maybe upset that they don't have the influence over Europe that America has. The Russians may be mad that a country so far away in America, has more influence over the European content that them. Russia is just trying to prove a point and is going about it the wrong way in my opinion.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
You may be right about that, but in thinking this way they forget that it was their own policies in the last century that have caused western Europe to become strong allies with the US. I think the Russian people, especially those who are a little older and remember communist times and the things told them by their parents about earlier communist times can understand why the rest of Europe was against them. So many people died for no good reason under Stalin for example. Perhaps the younger people who do not remember this are struggling to understand why others can't put the past behind them so quickly.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Since the Soviet Union was disbanded, there are far more countries in the European Union. I think there's a fair amount of Russian indignation that these countries have managed to survive and develop in their own right. In addition, they are hardly going to turn to these countries, which include Latavia, Lithuania and Ukraine for supprt as it is unlikely to be given.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It's a question of ideological differences. While technically Russia isn't a communist nation they'd like to believe they are. So allying themselves with capitalists obviously is something they wouldn't do. And the fact that most European nations are America's allies pisses Russia off. The friend of your enemy is . . . an enemy.

Last edited:

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
Throughout history there have always just been some countries who like to keep to themselves. Look at China's history. I like to equate it with kids on the playground. Some kids like to hang out in the corner alone and be left alone. Those are typically the same kids you see in high school who have made friends with other introverts who like to smoke in the A building bathroom.