What is the US stance when it comes to the Falklands Islands and who they belong to? | World Defense

What is the US stance when it comes to the Falklands Islands and who they belong to?

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
According to history, Argentina barely has any claim to the islands yet seem to have the acquisition of the islands as core of their foreign policy. What are your thoughts on this as a whole and especially those that are Americans?

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
Singapore
Apparently, the Falkland Islands are a British Overseas Territory, and have internal self governance, however there is a lot of controversy, with Argentina and other European Countries making their own claims to the islands. I guess we can safely consider them to be Britishers, because that's what the British Nationality Act does. Also, most of the people on the islands are of British descent, so yeah.

drirrational

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
America does not, I believe, have any specific stance on the Falklands, but given the Monroe doctrine and the exceptionally strong ties between the US and the UK, I would think that if pressured the US would support the Falklands remaining British. I think Argentina has no valid claim to the Falklands and to be honest I don't even understand why they care. I think that the Falklanders should decide, and they have overwhelmingly decided to remain British, so they should be so.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
eggg.... God! I don't think I've even HEARD a conversation about the Falklands in quite some time. I have to agree and disagree with drirrational at the same time.

I think that as long as the people of the islands want to be British, then the US will back them to be British. However, if they choose to be Argentina then the US will back them to be Argentina. It all depends on the people. Just as they did with the Ukraine. The Ukraine decided they wanted to independent and the US is backing them. In the past the US tried to hold territories that did not want us, but we learned our mistakes and when a country says... we want to be this, the US backs them for the most part. Sometimes directly, other times indirectly. It all depends.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
eggg.... God! I don't think I've even HEARD a conversation about the Falklands in quite some time. I have to agree and disagree with drirrational at the same time.

I think that as long as the people of the islands want to be British, then the US will back them to be British. However, if they choose to be Argentina then the US will back them to be Argentina. It all depends on the people. Just as they did with the Ukraine. The Ukraine decided they wanted to independent and the US is backing them. In the past the US tried to hold territories that did not want us, but we learned our mistakes and when a country says... we want to be this, the US backs them for the most part. Sometimes directly, other times indirectly. It all depends.
This is is pretty much what I expected. Knowing US support for self-determination, this is not a surprise in a slightest.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
This is is pretty much what I expected. Knowing US support for self-determination, this is not a surprise in a slightest.
LOL well, the people have the right to decide. No one has the right to decide for them. I do wonder why they have not opted to be their own independent state though.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
LOL well, the people have the right to decide. No one has the right to decide for them. I do wonder why they have not opted to be their own independent state though.
I would imagine this was because they want the support of the British government and their protection. Argentina has been at times quite aggressive in their stance towards the islands. Also, I think that they like the fact that Britain can represent them on the world stage among other reasons, mainly economic.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I guess the US shouldn't interfere when they are not being asked for their interference. And for the US to side one between Argentina and Britain would be a really hard choice. US just couldn't go against with the Britain because it's one of its strongest allies even if the Falkland people opted to be in Argentina. So, it's really gonna be hard, but the US will sure always play safe.