What kind of Tests and Hardships do I go through if I want to join the U.S Army? By that I mean from the very first moments to the finish. | World Defense

What kind of Tests and Hardships do I go through if I want to join the U.S Army? By that I mean from the very first moments to the finish.

McKinstrey

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Hungary
As just the Title says. I want to know every single Part of the process. And also want to clearly understand, what does the "MEPS" exactly means.
And guys my English isn't the best right now, I want to approve that also. I am from Hungary by the way, you may find it weird, that Why a foreign citizen, instead of a Real American asking this question. The path to my dream is hasn't even started yet, but I will work on it as time goes by. Thank you for answering my questions and have a good day.

Kristóf

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
As just the Title says. I want to know every single Part of the process. And also want to clearly understand, what does the "MEPS" exactly means.
And guys my English isn't the best right now, I want to approve that also. I am from Hungary by the way, you may find it weird, that Why a foreign citizen, instead of a Real American asking this question. The path to my dream is hasn't even started yet, but I will work on it as time goes by. Thank you for answering my questions and have a good day.

Kristóf

Hi, welcome to the forum, you might want to check this:

Every year, more than 8,000 green card holders but who are non-U.S. citizens join the military. However, recently some policy changes may interfere with the ability for some resident but non-U.S. citizens to join the military, even in a limited (no security clearance) capacity.

MAVNI Program - Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest, or MAVNI, enables non-citizens to join the military with such skills as interpreters, certain cultural knowledge, and even medical professionals. However, in 2014 the program was suspended and the current administration is looking to cancel the program altogether.

DACA Program - Currently, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) may face a new reality in the current administration and could be subject to deportation versus having the ability to work or attend advanced educational opportunities. However, Congress could change direction and allow DACA groups the opportunity to serve in the military.

Pathway to Citizenship?
There is great interest from all over the world from foreigners wanting to serve in the United States Military. Often, they know it can be a pathway to citizenship, but not always. The two involved branches of government—Department of Defense and Department of Homeland Security—do not work together to naturalize citizens. It is the same process for all holders of the green card. However, military members may have an expedited process.

There are some steps to be eligible for military service as a non-citizen. Here is a frequently asked question on the topic:

Can a Non-U.S. Citizen Join the United States Military?

Yes. A non-citizen can enlist in the military. However, federal law prohibits non-citizens from becoming commission or warrant officers.

In order for a non-citizen to enlist in the military, they must first be a legal immigrant (with a green card), permanently residing in the United States.
The green card is slang for Permanent Resident Card and has a 10-year span before it has to be renewed. The card is issued by the Citizenship and Immigration Services of the Department of Homeland Security and contains a photo and fingerprint. Years ago the green card was green, but today it looks something like a driver's license.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
been away on a ski trip, but as far as a non US National joining the Army, I don't know much about the process, you need to talk to a recruiter. The obvious problem will be passing a security clearance check. Not only is the FBI backed up with them, you being a non National will make it even harder. If it doesn't come back in time, even if you are sworn in and with a unit, you will be kicked out. That is the biggest problem I know of right now for non citizens trying to join. MEPS, as long as you are in good health, mentally, physically, got good teeth, should be a breeze.