What technology do you think will redefine the future battlefield? | World Defense

What technology do you think will redefine the future battlefield?

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
The last ten years has shown a huge amount of progress with regards to technology on the battlefield, especially with the US. Drones have taken a central role in providing reconnoissance, as well as ground attacks. Optics and night vision has progressed tremendously. But what future tech will change the battlefield?

I think HUD integrated goggles with secure intranet communication could change how infantry performs in urban environments. Imagine all soldiers having constant access to a HUD overlaid map that shows friendly positions, and integrated cameras can even detect enemy muzzle flashes and positions. I also wonder how the current advances in photographic CCD sensitivity can maybe one day replace night vision entirely.

What do you guys think?

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I would say more advanced drones. Not just drone planes but drones that have weapons and are controller by soldiers. Imagine their use when it comes to clearing houses where a soldier doesn't have to fear being shot at point blank. Drones will revolutionize the battlefield in all forms I think.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
The tactics of war have not changed over the last 3000 years, that is why Sun Tzu's Art of War book is still one of the best books on tactics. All that has happened is the size of the battle field has gotten bigger. The job of the military, despite all the polical correctness has not changed.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The way of fighting won't remain the same.I think the future weapons will focus on the stealthy,accuracy , the amount of the damage and dispensing the conventional explosives (whatever the weapon is tanks or drones or ships..etc) for example a drones with laser guns or railguns with very smart computers to deal with many situations under any circumstances and equipped to take the decision without human's order if required .

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Definitely more advanced drones. I think they will eventually replace the common grunt and we will have either Ai controlled fighters or remotely controlled machines that do our fighting. I'm not sure when it will happen. I hope not soon, that kind of technology scares me.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
Do you think it is possible to create a device that can shut down drones pretty easily? Like an EMP or some sort of scrambling radio waves.

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
Do you think it is possible to create a device that can shut down drones pretty easily? Like an EMP or some sort of scrambling radio waves.

I think this already exists, both in EMP form, and using lasers [the NAVY has been testing this specific thing]. Traditional non-digital technology and approaches are going to have to be used for the foreseeable future [in my opinion] exactly because of the issues you brought up.

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
The tactics of war have not changed over the last 3000 years, that is why Sun Tzu's Art of War book is still one of the best books on tactics. All that has happened is the size of the battle field has gotten bigger. The job of the military, despite all the polical correctness has not changed.

I think tactics have changed on a micro level - but on the macro level, they are still the same. For example, airplane technology allowed for air superiority to become a reality for the US in most of its last few conflicts. It has shifted the battlefield tremendously. But in the grand scheme of things - it's still Sun Tzu.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
I think tactics have changed on a micro level - but on the macro level, they are still the same. For example, airplane technology allowed for air superiority to become a reality for the US in most of its last few conflicts. It has shifted the battlefield tremendously. But in the grand scheme of things - it's still Sun Tzu.

Exactly. In the classical age of warfare, you have the three branches of the army. Infantry, Calvary and Artillery. So air superiority falls under artillery, during traditional battles atleast half of the cannons would be used for counter battery, this is to try and suppress the enemies cannons. Things like airborne fall into the calvary/dragoon category units that can move quickly but are extremely expensive.

50% of Sun Tzu's book talks about supply/economics, that is because it is usually the deciding factor in all wars.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
How about drones with built in low-level AI? In other words, drones that are capable of decision-making (to some extent), camouflaging and dodging when the occasion calls for it. Yes, I have to agree that night vision goggles need to be upgraded in the future. Perhaps the upgraded version will allow the user to see his surroundings as though it's daytime and in full color. This will give forces advantage during nighttime combats.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
The last ten years has shown a huge amount of progress with regards to technology on the battlefield, especially with the US. Drones have taken a central role in providing reconnoissance, as well as ground attacks. Optics and night vision has progressed tremendously. But what future tech will change the battlefield?

I think HUD integrated goggles with secure intranet communication could change how infantry performs in urban environments. Imagine all soldiers having constant access to a HUD overlaid map that shows friendly positions, and integrated cameras can even detect enemy muzzle flashes and positions. I also wonder how the current advances in photographic CCD sensitivity can maybe one day replace night vision entirely.

What do you guys think?
I agree the Drone technology has come a far way in a short time, and it can be a scary thing when you think about, but on the flip side, there would be less ground troops if the drones can do the dirty work for you. My concern is the countries that have ill intent with the drones. That could cause some serious problems. I guess clones are next in the future, they can be the ones on the battlefield.

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
I think the use of AI and drones will definitely increase in the coming years, as governments will try and reduce the number of physical boots on the ground. But then there's also the debate of once AI can have a conscience and such, whether they might be dangerous for us in the future, as people like Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking, among others, seem to think.

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya

What do you guys think?
My guess is that we'll see more of robotic appliances being used in the battlefront to minimize human casualties. Other than drones,i expect unmanned tanks and greater use of laser technology to increase accuracy in war zones.

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
50% of Sun Tzu's book talks about supply/economics, that is because it is usually the deciding factor in all wars.

It's so vital - logistics, replenishment, availability. Cutting off supplies and indirect equipment destruction is a tactic that's used all the time - from WWII era Polish resistance, to the Taliban and today in Ukraine.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
It's so vital - logistics, replenishment, availability. Cutting off supplies and indirect equipment destruction is a tactic that's used all the time - from WWII era Polish resistance, to the Taliban and today in Ukraine.

Probably cavemen where doing it. One force of cavemen would drive another group of cavemen into a cave. Then they would guard the front of the cave till they starved them out. Sieges, destroying all of your enemies farms so he would starve to death, these thing where happening thousands of years ago.

In the Conquest of Gaul, Caesar constantly talks about how he maintained supply lines, and then ensured his legions had large caches of grain. Many times the Gauls had to withdraw from the battle field because they ran out of supplies.