What will happen with the Sprately Island ? | World Defense

What will happen with the Sprately Island ?

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
There are reports that China is constructing a landing strip on one of the islands which are claimed by the philippines. The Philippines does not have the ability to push China off that island, but they have a small garrison on a neighboring island.

If China uses force to push the Philippines off that island, what will USA do ?

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
In my opinion, I honestly can't see the US doing anything but voice angry words if China pushes the Philippines off of the island. While they are American allies, the cost of harming relations with a huge trade partner would eclipse the loss of Filipino position. I guess it depends on how China goes about it. If they go in guns blazing there may be a huge response, but I doubt they would stoop to that. It'll probably remain a game of chicken for a long while.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
In my opinion, I honestly can't see the US doing anything but voice angry words if China pushes the Philippines off of the island. While they are American allies, the cost of harming relations with a huge trade partner would eclipse the loss of Filipino position. I guess it depends on how China goes about it. If they go in guns blazing there may be a huge response, but I doubt they would stoop to that. It'll probably remain a game of chicken for a long while.

Pretty much my thoughts. The area is disputed, so of China quietly pushes the Philippines off, it technically speaking isn't an act of war. China knows this USA knows this.

I think China isn't really interested in the islands, they just want to flex their muscles and show there is another dog in town. It is like Japan and Russia still arguing over some barren rock north of Japan.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty much my thoughts. The area is disputed, so of China quietly pushes the Philippines off, it technically speaking isn't an act of war. China knows this USA knows this.

I think China isn't really interested in the islands, they just want to flex their muscles and show there is another dog in town. It is like Japan and Russia still arguing over some barren rock north of Japan.

I can't really argue with that. Although I was thinking that force won't be used to take the island.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Hopefully not get involved in someone else's conflict. I don't like seeing China bully their neighbors but the US does not need to police the world. It's not appropriate and it's not affordable.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
And I thought the dispute between Philippines and China concerning the ownership of Spratly Islands is still ongoing?

The United States have said it before that they are neutral about the issue. So if Philippines initiates an attack on China and goes into war of it, they are on their own. But if China attacks the Philippines first, the US made it clear very clear that they will help Philippines.

This issue over Spratlys is already decades old. I just hope none of the countries involved are careless enough to trigger another big war over a few morsels of land.

Last edited:

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I hate China. What is their basis for claiming that the land is theirs if the Philippine government is so sure that the island rightfully belongs to them? Why doesn't just China budge?

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
I do not entirely hate China they are still our brothers, but I do not like the 9 dash line or 9 dotted lines idea which encompasses huge area including the Spartly Islands . It is baseless and it does conform to the International Law of the Seas. I'm also thinking that the reason China does not the arbitration initiated by the Philippines is that they know the ruling will be against them.

If China will attack the Philippines, as a treaty ally I think the US will come to aid the Philippines (hope so). But I still hope that it will not come to the point that South China Sea or the West Philippine Sea will be the next battlegrounds of Superpowers (US, China, Japan and other Asian claimants including the Philippines).

dyanmarie25

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
China is such a bully. This nation always threatens countries like the Philippines and is always claiming islands when in fact, it already has one of the largest land masses in the world. China thinks they own the whole Asia.

mikka254

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Kenya
Unfortunately, USA cannot do anything about that because they are already trying to mend their name and since this is not a direct threat to the US only the UN might have a say in this but not with an army. We are more civilized than our forefathers and dialogue may just work.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Of all the Asian countries that have set up base in Spratly islands, China is the one with the least right to do so. Why? The world map alone will tell you how painstakingly far it is from the said island group. What the heck is wrong with those Chinese officials? Are they blind? Isn't it enough to be the third largest country in the world with Macau, Taiwan and Hong Kong under its wing? The UNCLOS should be revised. Proximity should be the determining factor for gray territories. China never had a civilization in any of those islands. They're manufacturing their own records.

When Obama visited the Philippines last year, he clearly said that his administration is taking a neutral stance as far as the territorial disputes are concerned. He cannot afford to jeopardize existing ties with China so US intervention is out of the picture. However, by virtue of the VFA, the US can supply the Philippines with weapon and military training (I won't count on these either). I doubt China will be able to conquer the rest of Spratly. FYI, Vietnam has effectively occupied the biggest island while there are Filipino inhabitants in the second biggest island. China has built its bases on lesser known islands. That's as much as it can do. When the ASEAN unites, even China won't stand a chance. Not to mention India and Japan are on our side.

terryse

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think our Philippine leaders will initiate a war with China, knowing fully well we are only a dot compared to a giant like China. But they have elevated the case to UNCLOS or United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
Contrary to your belief, the current Chinese government (People's Republic of China, AKA PRC) isn't the first Chinese regime claimed the Spartly islands and Paracel islands. It all goes back to the 9-dash-line, which was originally the 11-dash-line...and it was published by Republic of China AKA ROC (previous regime, but still exist on their final stronghold on Taiwan, yes Taiwan's official name is still Republic of China) on the official map of China before the communists took over in 1949. Both Spartly islands and Paracel islands are within the 9-dash-line. At the time no other country claimed Spartly nor Paracel, nor anyone objected to China's claim except for the French who used to occupy Indochina (which Vietnam was a part of) as colonies.

Vietnam later claimed these islands based on the claim of French.

UNCLOS didn't even exist back then. EEZ didn't exist back then. If these two rules apply to all, then Guam wouldn't be belong to the US, and Falklands wouldn't be UK's.

Philippines claim also came in no earlier than 1960s.

You have to take note that there are 4 countries (Vietnam, Philiphines, Brunei, Malaysisa) other than China (Both PRC on mainland and ROC in Taiwan) claim Spartly islands. So who is right anyway? There can only be one "rightful" owner... right?

As for Paracel islands, if you look at the map, they are right off China's Hainan Province. Yes, that giant island province with 9 million population. Vietnam is further away from it.

The trick is, the US media always use propaganda against China. So all you hear is China "bullying". Every time when a dispute is mentioned in the media, China is always the "bad guy", and all the other countries are "defenseless".
What about Philippines navy shot and killed a Taiwanese fishman near Spartly? Then they turned and ran when a Taiwanese warship showed up. Was there any word of "bullying" used on Philiphines?

Not to mention Diaoyu/Senkuka islands dispute. Japan has stronger navy and airforce than China. And they are in actual control of the disputed islands despite the fact the islands are much closer to China than it is to Japan. Worse, Japan was portrayed as a bullied victim too by the biased media while China is clearly the weaker side between the two.

My advice to you.
Do not fall for the propaganda. Most western propaganda are very anti-China. You won't hear anything positive about China.

Last edited: