What's your take onThe F-15 and the F 22 Rafter | World Defense

What's your take onThe F-15 and the F 22 Rafter

mizrael

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Canada
The Pentagon has put a lot of hopes and dreams into the F-35 and the F-22 Rafter, the F-22 Rafter is now discontinued because of budget concerns. The F-22 Rafter is a fifth generation aircraft with stellar performance that's loaded with technology, no other country as anything like it, the government say we desperately need these jets for superiority of the sky and security, what's your take on it. Do you think we need these high-tech costly aircraft to protect the homeland.

Last edited:

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I think you mean the F-22 RAPTOR, both are going to be replaced by the F-35 in the coming years. The F-15 was a great bird that has long been in service. The F-22 on the other hand has always struck me more of a deterrent and show piece than actual combatant. Its initial development took place at the end of the cold war when we were still worried about what Russia had to offer. I don't think you need to worry about the high cost to protect Canada, the USA isn't likely to supply you with any F-22 and I don't think they are making anymore F-15s.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The F-22 isn't the world most advanced aircraft as you claimed. It comes second after the EuroFighter Typhoon. What makes the F-22 a fifth generation aircraft is its stealth capability nothing else. The IRST (Infra Red Search and Track) installed on the EF is a major challenge to the F-22 superiority.

Coming to your second point, I don't think the US will give up to the F-22 at all considering the Russian and Chinese technology being in par with the US technology.

The F-35 still has a minor defect and has yet to be tested in real battle. It still needs a long time to overcome the technical issue.

In conclusion, The US see the F-22, F-16, super hornet F-18 and the Eagle f-15 as the solid backbone so far. None of laters will be put to retirement anytime soon.

Last edited:

mizrael

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Canada
You're so right, You understand your military aircraft history, I was referring to the F 35, I've made those corrections in my thread. I'm not a big fan of the F 35 it's still needs to prove itself in combat, the F 15 is a great aircraft of its time and it's been discontinued for some time, but they're still in service I believe, they are being upgraded for today's standards, mainly because of budget concerns.