Where are the missiles? | World Defense

Where are the missiles?

vinceasneed

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
The US has a lot of nuclear weapons. My understanding is that they are all over the country mostly on the coast. Does anyone know exactly in what states they are located? How close can you get to seeing them? Do the missiles sit underground and would launch from there? Or are they above ground? I am just curious as to if anyone can get a sneak peek of any. I know that might sound kind of strange, but I am a strange person. I am little bit of a nerd. Just want to say I've seen one. I am sure that I probably cannot see any but it doesn't hurt to ask. If anybody knows I'd love to hear what you know.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
US has multiple means of nuclear weapons delivery. If you are referring to ICBM's inside the country they would most likely be underground in hardened silos. Probably around mountainous terrain or other unexpected areas.

petesede

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
US has multiple means of nuclear weapons delivery. If you are referring to ICBM's inside the country they would most likely be underground in hardened silos. Probably around mountainous terrain or other unexpected areas.

All over the place, I know we have a bunch in the Dakotas and Nevada. I also believe upstate NY. But there are probably dozens of different locations throughout the USA. The object of course is that if half of them get taken out, the other half can still launch an assure that both countries die.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
All over the place, I know we have a bunch in the Dakotas and Nevada. I also believe upstate NY. But there are probably dozens of different locations throughout the USA. The object of course is that if half of them get taken out, the other half can still launch an assure that both countries die.

I don't believe it's possible for foreign nation to be able to take them out(Half) without massive nuclear strikes. They would need to take pre-emptive nuclear strike to manage such damage. On other hand, US has overseas bases and air craft carriers, warships, etc...which would do conventional strike on nuclear assets on foreign nation before resorting to anything more than that.

I can't see how a war would play out with superpowers. It will probably be deescalated as fast as possible. If not it would be most irrational war. I would hope to be out of country if that happens(God forbid).

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
The vast majority of the United States nuclear arsenal is no longer kept in Silos as they are seen as obsolete. Most of the arsenal is in the form of missiles that can be deployed via air and sea. These can be safely stored pretty much anywhere as they aren't activated until well after deployment.

freeofcharge

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
There may well still be some underground silos on the east and west coasts however at present as Kittyworker said - there's a very good chance that the majority of the US arsenal can now be deployed from the air or sea in the event of an emergency scenario. Weapons of that caliber aren't typically something you'd want to store in a single place for a long period of time

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
I doubt the location of most land-based missile sites are publicly known. Even if they were, and even if they were all taken out, much of the US arsenal is out at sea. Onboard nuclear capable submarines, sea-based nuclear weapons can initiate strikes even if the continent was obliterated.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The US has a lot of nuclear weapons. My understanding is that they are all over the country mostly on the coast. Does anyone know exactly in what states they are located? How close can you get to seeing them? Do the missiles sit underground and would launch from there? Or are they above ground? I am just curious as to if anyone can get a sneak peek of any. I know that might sound kind of strange, but I am a strange person. I am little bit of a nerd. Just want to say I've seen one. I am sure that I probably cannot see any but it doesn't hurt to ask. If anybody knows I'd love to hear what you know.

Not strange at all, I'd love to see them too! We'll never get the chance though, other than in photographs, but I do agree that it would be so fascinating to see one for real. Imagine being stood a meter away from a deadly item that could wipe out an entire population!

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Go ask the Russians, they know. Using satellites, both the Soviet Union and USA knew the location of each others nuclear missles. It is pretty hard to hide a missle silo.

That is why nuclear submarines are the most dangerous. They have second strike capabilities, they are always moving and they can be hidden.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
You can probably find a museum somewhere with an older model. (obviously without the warhead :D)
As for seeing the real thing, you can forget about it. Obviously these are things that aren't and definitely shouldn't be show to the public, you never know who is watching.

The real deal is hidden in silos all over the place and more and more at sea. (large navy ships and submarines)