Where do you live and how safe is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'm curious as to how safe different countries are. Let me explain, I'm interested in how terrorism defence and the police forces in your countries work. Do you think they are doing a good job keeping you and your loved ones safe?

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
In Midwest America, we feel safe. Maybe we feel TOO safe, leading us to 'leave our defences down'; but I'm of the opinion (that is either the prevailing one `round these parts or one that flows seamlessly with whatever IS the prevailing opinion) that 'we're not messin` with anybody, so nobody needs to mess with us.'

If there ARE defensive forces keeping us safe, they are wisely doing-so outside of our perception---sort of the way the atmosphere filters-out dangerous radiation from space.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
Well in New Zealand the police and military work well and are paid good so, they are rewarded for their efforts and work hard to protect the country from crime and terrorism which is good to see. People with terrorist relations are not allowed in the country and stopped at the border or well before they enter the country and do damage to it. I am pleased with how the defense is in our country and hope they keep it up and this will deter any from trying to enter the country with bad motives.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the UK and whilst I feel relatively safe for now, I'm sure we'll experience another terrorist attack soon. Not that they are anything new, I remember being scared of the IRA as a child!

I wouldn't say that the powers that be are doing a great job. OK, I feel safe in my country but people still manage to slip through the net. Our police force, in particular, is prone to gaffes and scandals and I'm not sure if I could totally rely on them in an emergency situation.

JoshSmith100

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Im in the Northeast part of America right now and I feel relatively safe compared to other countries in the world. We do face the problem of terriorists most often in this part of the country due to the big cities which does cause a little anxiety. If there ever happens to be a World War 3, I would start worrying alot due to my close proximity to New York City and Boston. Lets hope it never gets to that.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I feel pretty safe where I live. My area is pretty low in the population density and doesn't really have any major terrorist targets. I can't think of anything that would be listed as a target here. But then again, I have thought of the possibility of an individual doing something like shooting up a school or church. I don't think anywhere is immune to those possibilities.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
Here in the southern US, we're pretty safe from each other, what with the "stand your ground laws" we have in place. LOL As far as terrorism, no I don't think we're very safe at all. We have hoards of people streaming across our borders from central and south America, with no documentation and little or no restrictions. It is always a possibility that terrorists are among them Our government is doing nothing to stop it. I think we've been lulled into a false sense of security.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Currently living pretty much all over western Europe. I move around a lot and quite frankly I feel 100% safe in most of these countries. Sometimes I do run into shady areas but that is more about me loving to explore. :D
The police and army do seem to be doing a decent job in most western countries.

Pinoy Jade

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
i live in the Philippines and the guarantee of safety and security is out. There is war going on on the southern part of the country. There would be war against the private groups and the government soon. I just fear it. there are lots of civil war going on. too bad

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say that here in the UK i feel pretty safe, I think the government and authorities, while not doing a great job with a lot of things, I think defence is where they are getting it right. I don't know anybody who's living in fear put it that way.

I've travelled quite a bit as well and to be honest, while some places are a little more dangerous than others, I have to say I've never really felt at threat in any country.

No matter what security measures are put in place, I don't think any country can be 100% secure against a terrorist attack, some are at more risk than others obviously.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I'm way out in the country in the south, US. Our police force is becoming tyrannical. And honestly, we have no idea how safe we are. They tell us only what they want us to know. If there is a real threat, we won't find out until its too late.

Pinoy Jade

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
I have to say that here in the UK i feel pretty safe, I think the government and authorities, while not doing a great job with a lot of things, I think defence is where they are getting it right. I don't know anybody who's living in fear put it that way.

I've travelled quite a bit as well and to be honest, while some places are a little more dangerous than others, I have to say I've never really felt at threat in any country.

No matter what security measures are put in place, I don't think any country can be 100% secure against a terrorist attack, some are at more risk than others obviously.
i have not heard of nay violence in the UK and i guess the way the government runs your place is good that no civilian would try to defy the government,.. anyway i have a friend out there though there was a time last year or few years back when there was riot everywhere..
As you have said, there is no such place as secure :D

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
The riots here in the UK were nothing to do with terrorism or any outside influence in the country. It was more of a class uprising I guess it could be called for want of a better way of describing it.

It certainly didn't help that people started to use it as an excuse to go out and commit crime, while the original riot and unrest happened in a part of London, for maybe a justified reason, it soon spread to most major cities, just because people watched what was happening via social media and thought they wanted to get involved.

May102014

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
USA
I live in one of the European countries and I feel safe here compared to my home country. For one, ordinary citizens here are not allowed to carry guns, so it is a bit comforting knowing that you will not be shoot while walking in the streets. There's a lot of police visibility here, anywhere you go, you can see police standing anywhere and they really respond fast.

With regards to terrorism, I am quite confident that they can handle that well.

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
Here in the southern US, we're pretty safe from each other, what with the "stand your ground laws" we have in place. LOL As far as terrorism, no I don't think we're very safe at all. We have hoards of people streaming across our borders from central and south America, with no documentation and little or no restrictions. It is always a possibility that terrorists are among them Our government is doing nothing to stop it. I think we've been lulled into a false sense of security.
As an Old Testament prophet said to the citizens of a city that was about to be attacked, 'Don't worry about the wall around the whole city; each of you just needs to fortify his own family's little section of the wall.'

I'm way out in the country in the south, US. Our police force is becoming tyrannical. And honestly, we have no idea how safe we are. They tell us only what they want us to know. If there is a real threat, we won't find out until its too late.
Worrying about it won't help.

I live in one of the European countries and I feel safe here compared to my home country. For one, ordinary citizens here are not allowed to carry guns, so it is a bit comforting knowing that you will not be shoot while walking in the streets. There's a lot of police visibility here, anywhere you go, you can see police standing anywhere and they really respond fast.

With regards to terrorism, I am quite confident that they can handle that well.
One of the arguments against gun-law like that is "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." I don't have a gun, and--if I were given one--the person in most danger would be me (no suicide-risk, but more just my clutziness). But I do think that guns should come with manditory training.

Status
Not open for further replies.