Why aren't all soldier wearing anti thermal suits? | World Defense

Why aren't all soldier wearing anti thermal suits?

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
These days thermal detectors are really good and you can fairly easily detect a soldier from some distance away, so why aren't all soldiers wearing full body anti thermal suits?

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Anti thermal suits are heavies which means slow mobility. It mainly wore by special forces. Anti-night vision, IR reduction and anti weapon sensors. It depends on the objective/mission. Some missions require anti thermal and others don't.

Last edited:
Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Are really that heavy though? I've seen an interview a while ago with a US helicopter pilot saying the Taliban would hide from his thermal sights by covering themselves in an aluminum foil... you know... the kind you buy dirt cheap from the store, and it's not really that heavy.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Are really that heavy though? I've seen an interview a while ago with a US helicopter pilot saying the Taliban would hide from his thermal sights by covering themselves in an aluminum foil... you know... the kind you buy dirt cheap from the store, and it's not really that heavy.

Military anti thermal suits are used mainly by snipers and special forces regardless of them being heavy or not. Its objective is to provide cover for special missions to be executed. Its unreasonable and useless for infantries to use them unless directed to do so on irregular occasions. Mountain warfare usually require anti thermal suits to avoid being detected by air reconnaissance, night vision optics/binoculars/scopes/goggles/monocular you name it.

That ones you find on stores aren't meant for military use at all.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
Because they slow you down and infantry doesn't need slow mobility. But in cases where special attention is needed (black ops, secret mission, snipers, etc.) they use it already.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Thermal goggles still arent standard issue for a lot of armies in the world and so most countries don't feel that the loss of mobility is justified in reducing the thermal signature. I agree with them. Being able to move is key on the battlefield and anything that will slow them down unnecessarily really should be avoided.

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
OK, so when thermal goggles will become standard for a lot of armies, do you reckon the response will be for armies to make sure their soldiers are wearing thermal suits? I'd also like to know how much do these things weigh, as people seem to think they'd seriously reduce the soldiers' mobility.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
There are a million things to take into account. Mainly the fact that an anti-thermal suit would probably do very little to nothing in order to help a regular infantry soldier. It's an extra thing to wear on you, and extra thing to carry around, and extra thing to get replaced, an extra thing to wash. And while the weight might not be much, every little bit counts since the loads carried nowadays are already borderline superhuman. How much concealment do they provide anyway?

Some of the combat uniforms have been treated with anti-thermal "coating", which seems like a cheap and effective way to get it done. But I don't think the effectiveness is that good and is futher reduced by washing the clothes.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
Could it be that they do not have enough financing to dress all the soldiers? If that is not the case maybe the soldiers without them choose not to wear for their own reasons. They are the only ones who can give a conclusive answer on this one.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
They probably have the financial power to dress all soldiers. But is it really necessary?

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I reckon it could do with cost and, there is no lightweight options and as it is heavy it can slow the person down and would not be reliable in a war zone as the person would not be able to move forward quick enough. I reckon it may have to do with, costs and also may not have the funds to buy the anti thermal suits. I think maybe later on it may be possible, as lightweight ones could be made and if it is needed than it could work and military may see the need for it.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal

Not only slow mobility, but I am guessing that they are expensive too? Also, are they really necessary to be used in all missions? I think that in some missions they are not necessary.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Thermal suits serve as camouflage as well tournique, they are an advanced piece of equipment that can save the soldiers lives...