Why Do People Celebrate Military Victories? | World Defense

Why Do People Celebrate Military Victories?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I understand that the defeat of a vile dictator like Hitler and others like him would delight those he'd oppressed, relatives of those he'd murdered and so on. But shouldn't the end of a war also be the right moment to reflect on the cost of war? Isn't it the right to mourn those who have fallen? Wouldn't it be the right time to think of better ways to solve conflict?

What do you guys think? Should the party start the moment a war has been won? Would those who lost friends or family be celebrating?

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Let's agree that wars represent the greater part in the history of the nations .
So, countries keep holding these celebrations for many purposes such as documenting the history,showing the power,refresh/increase loyalties to the governments...etc

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think it should not happen straight way and let the ones who lost their loved ones mourn for them and count the people lost in the wars and, think of the cost that it came at and respect the ones who died in war. Celebrations should happen later on, and also talk about the ones who lost thier lives in the battle and be there for the ones who are the family and friends of the person. I reckon that celebrations maybe good, but without the ones who died can be hard to do them and it is a good feeling to see it happen.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
But shouldn't the end of a war also be the right moment to reflect on the cost of war? Isn't it the right to mourn those who have fallen? Wouldn't it be the right time to think of better ways to solve conflict?
Victory is victory, it needs to be celebrated... if victory in a specific war isn't something worth celebrating then was it worth dying for?

Most countries have a day dedicated to the fallen soldiers. It really is logical and the best way to remember them, as most countries have fought in multiple wars.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I have to agree, I think if something is worth fighting and dying for in the first place, then it's also got to be worth celebrating if and when theres a victory.

In what form or when that celebration takes place is another subject, but something should be done to mark the achievement.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
War is a time of worry and uncertainty so it's really no surprise that people would want to celebrate once victory has been declared. So initially, victory is definitely an occasion for celebration but once all the excitement has died down, that's the time to work out what could have been done differently and how could it have been avoided.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
War is a time of worry and uncertainty so it's really no surprise that people would want to celebrate once victory has been declared. So initially, victory is definitely an occasion for celebration but once all the excitement has died down, that's the time to work out what could have been done differently and how could it have been avoided.

When a war is won though, I don't think a country looks too much on how it could have been avoided. The victory and the celebration mask's out everything else unfortunately.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Victory is victory, it needs to be celebrated... if victory in a specific war isn't something worth celebrating then was it worth dying for?
What if it was a civil war? Would the victors celebrate knowing that it wouldn't help with reconciliation?

There's no denying the fact though that some victories are worth celebrating. And to be honest, when ISIS is defeated, it doesn't matter who beats the savages, I'll celebrate that victory.

heavyinfantry

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Italy
Well I guess that a military victim is quite similiar as a win in general.Thus celebrating it i find it quite normal but sometime could turn into something macabre and didturbing. Just see ISIS as an example.. I mean you can see how theh do it and how they celebrate it but they do it like if it's a normality.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
What if it was a civil war? Would the victors celebrate knowing that it wouldn't help with reconciliation?

There's no denying the fact though that some victories are worth celebrating. And to be honest, when ISIS is defeated, it doesn't matter who beats the savages, I'll celebrate that victory.

I think a civil war will always be slightly different. I'm sure that it will be celebrated but them celebrations will obviously be more muted. The actual celebration, or victory parade isn't to poke fun at those that have died or been defeated, it's more to celebrate the actual victory.

And I agree with you about IS. When they get there's I think half the western world will celebrate.

STM

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Romania
In the past, wars were probably genuine and really reflecting massive conflicts between humans. But nowadays, wars generate a lot of profit for the involved ends, and because we the humans are greedy, do you think those who create war and therefore profit would in any way give up a luxurious empire built upon those who shed blood? I doubt it very much.

And I share some of your ideas, too. We should stop momentarily celebrating our de-oppression and think about those who fought for us, or possibly think of new ways to stop war. But again this is unfeasible because of the aforementioned reasons, unfortunately.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
It is a way to keep the masses amused and to show their sacrifice is not in vain. But on a deeper level it has a very tribal and primitive past. So in the past ancient tribes would do things like have war dances and then victory dances afterwards. They would also mock their enemies and this sort of thing.

Celebrating military victories is a modern form of this. The reality is humans as individuals have not advanced that much psychologically in the last 3000 years.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
For ethical reasons, it's best to defer celebrations a year or so after said victory. Memorials should come first. It's a bit insensitive to feel happy about winning a war when when at the end of the day, war always involves loss of lives. Saluting the bravery of those who willing sacrificed themselves for the greater good would be more appropriate.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I always thought the celebration was FOR the fallen and injured, and emotionally shattered. It celebrates the soldiers' victories. They didnt lose their life, limb, or mind for nothing. Some people may look at it as a win for the country. I hope most people look at it the same way I do... Some great men and women sacrificed everything for this, and they won.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
We celebrate for the same reason we celebrate when our favorite football team wins. We feel like we won because we decided that is who we pledged our loyalty to.