Why does Indonesia demand that female military recruits are virgins? | World Defense

Why does Indonesia demand that female military recruits are virgins?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Why does Indonesia demand that female military recruits are virgins? - BBC News

Human rights activists want Indonesia to stop so-called virginity tests being used in the recruitment of female military recruits.

"Bonkers", "primitive" and "unscientific" are words used to describe it by one of the Human Rights Watch (HRW) researchers who interviewed women who had been subjected to the test.

The World Health Organization has said: "There is no place for virginity testing; it has no scientific validity."

HRW says the tests are also discriminatory and have no bearing on a woman's ability to perform her job.
What's happening in Indonesia?

Virginity tests are obligatory for female military and national police recruits who are typically high school graduates aged between 18 and 20. HRW's research indicates that the air force, army and navy have for decades also used the test on the fiancees of military officers before marriage.

It also says local governments and the civil service have been known to use the test. In February, officials in Jember, East Java, scrapped a plan to make high school girls be tested before they could graduate from high school.

How important is it that recruits are virgins?

According to armed forces information chief Major Gen Fuad Basya, it's a matter of national security.

He said: "If it is not restricted this way, then someone with a bad habit will become military personnel. Soldiers are a nation's defenders. They defend a nation's sovereignty, a country's territory and security."

He told local media if a candidate had lost her virginity out of wedlock her mental state would make her unfit to become a soldier.

He said "It may be because of an accident, disease or because of a habit" - meaning sexual intercourse.

"If it is their habit, the Indonesian military cannot accept potential recruits like these."

An army wife interviewed by HRW said the rationale given to her was economic.

"The military wants healthy couples," she said. She added: "Military men often travel away from home. They should trust their wives."

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think it could be due to, if someone young is joining and has a baby or intercourse without being married than the mind will focus on that and not on the security of the country so could make the person have diseases if they are in multiple realationships. The person could be viewed a loose conduct person, and the army would lose trust from the people and than the person would have to be removed and won't be good. So I think it could be good at times, but may have to be changed and only the military can do that which I don't think will happen anytime soon.

adfnio

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
According to armed forces information chief Major Gen Fuad Basya, it's a matter of national security.

He said: "If it is not restricted this way, then someone with a bad habit will become military personnel. Soldiers are a nation's defenders. They defend a nation's sovereignty, a country's territory and security."

So this rule or mode of thinking only applies to females? Men are not capable of doing any wrong in the military? This is just stupid. Come on guys. Now is this a cultural thing or religious? Islam is dominant in Indonesia. So is it safe to say that it's because of old religious belief that women are secondary citizens?

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Strange demand,virgins fight better then none virgins?

heavyinfantry

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Italy
That's quite an interesting news out here! I didn't know about this and more unknown is the reason why they have to be virgin! Since I'm not indonesian I don't know their traditions but maybe there is some sort of knowledgment about virgin girls that fights better than non virgin ones? Scientifically I think there isn't difference between the two.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
This recruitment process sounds a bit radical to say the least. I would have thought it's based more on history, as in the way they've always done it, rather than it be based on any sort of scientific fact.

Either way it might be wise for them to have a look at this rule and possibly think again.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I would guess that virgins are less likely to take a risk and a lot more timid.

Or they might think they'll be MORE likely to take risks, as they won't have children and a family to think about? Either way, still a strange selection process...I can't see it catching on, put it that way...

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
Definitely strange! Maybe the virgins won't be distracted by the cute guys they're fighting with, because you know how easily distracted these women we now a days.
(I haven't come up with a single reason that I'm not offended by. Lol)

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
I would guess that virgins are less likely to take a risk and a lot more timid.
I think it has nothing to do with them being timid or less likely to take a risk but more with Indonesia becoming more ''Islamic'',just like Malaysia is becoming a Sharia law country.
First Brunei then Malaysia and now Indonesia(maybe).

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
That decision has nothing with Islam. Libya is Muslim country and the women are working in army without any distinction.
I think this matter related to the cultures.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Definitely strange! Maybe the virgins won't be distracted by the cute guys they're fighting with, because you know how easily distracted these women we now a days.
(I haven't come up with a single reason that I'm not offended by. Lol)

You women who distract us from our work .|0|

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Indonesian Military Chief Defends 'Virginity Tests' For Female Recruits : The Two-Way : NPR

Indonesia's top military commander defended a requirement that female recruits undergo an invasive "virginity test" to determine if they are morally suited for the armed forces. His remarks follow a letter from Human Rights Watch condemning the practice.

"So what's the problem? It's a good thing, so why criticize it?" Gen. Moeldoko was quoted by The Jakarta Globe as telling reporters on Friday.

The Globe says Moeldoko "conceded, though, that there was no direct link between a woman being a virgin and her abilities as a member of the armed forces, but insisted that virginity was a gauge of a woman's morality — one of the three key traits he said a woman must have to serve in the [Indonesia Armed Forces], along with high academic aptitude and physical strength."

The virginity test "is a measure of morality. There's no other way" to determine a person's morality, Moeldoko said.

According to The Washington Post, "In Indonesia, the test is considered standard practice. Women seeking to join the military are required to strip naked and have their genitalia manually examined by a doctor, purportedly to ensure that they are virgins."

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
If it's true that it's all down to virgin's being more moral, then I guess all the people I know can't have ANY morals whatsoever! But that's a whole different subject...

sunflogun

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
This is something really strange that I haven't heard until now. Eventually it has to be religion related because I don't see any other reason for it. If it was a pregnancy test, in that case it would make some sense.