Why is there more civil discourse today than in the past? | World Defense

Why is there more civil discourse today than in the past?

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
There seems to be a rise in civil discourse nowadays as we can see politics is more toxic than ever and this affects people all around the world in the sense it makes them more toxic and angry too. It takes different forms depending on economic status of a nation. In more developed nations there is no civil war or lynchings or other acts of violence but there is a highly toxic political environment in which people are starting to hate each other more and less tolerant when it comes to exchanging views. In a mentally and physically healthy society people exchanging views and agree to disagree but it doesn't result in anger/hatred or cutting each other off. In today's state in some more developed nations we see it's the opposite and lots of people latching on to political ideas to express their disgust or dislike of others. As a way to justify their views and have no middle ground.

In America, for example, we have a more toxic political environment where people disguise their real intentions and hide behind political discourse to achieve their ulterior motives. With republicans for example, some are racist/bigoted but do not directly express such views and instead express them through what are seen as mainstream republican political views. Like with immigration or war on terror or using slurs like 'libtards' or very stubbornly supporting Trump. Many expressions of support to Trump more come off as expressions of their ulterior motives. Which is very obviously seen when you have someone blindly supporting one candidate and angrily doing so. It shows there are roots to a problem not being addressed, which is lack of mental/physical health and extreme frustration from work/stress/other deeper personal issues.

With Liberals in America they also have a nasty anti-religion discourse and stubborn way of trying to push what they consider liberties or freedoms like gay marriage, abortion and other things. Or legalizing marijuana and so on. They also do have a consistent theme of trying to portray whites as privileged/racist. So then some whites try to counter this by supporting Trump and developing anti-immigrant views. And then the liberals try to get back at them via more toxic ways. So basically both sides are very toxic, stubborn and trying to have their way at all costs with no middle ground.

Part of this is due to how the society of today emphasizes 'professionalism' too much which is a more unnatural discourse. So you can see how political candidates attack each other, everything feels so corporate like and disingenuous and people can't have normal conversations. Because whenever a discussion is had, usually its begun to score a cookie point and the respondent realizes this and doesn't back down on anything because other person is trying to debunk their views.

Another reason is because of competition today in the world for individuals. People feel like they only have themselves or only can trust family, if even. And society views itself less like a family and more like a big group of people competing with each other for money/resources and trust levels among individuals are going down. People are less friendly and less willing to help each other in real world situations. People today in general are more frustrated/angry than ever and there are a lot of factors contributing to this, such as competition, internet, toxic politics, stubbornness, etc....

So I would like you to share your thoughts, how do we make our society(humans in general) more healthy and less toxic towards each other? Are people overworked and stressed out? Or are people depressed because they aren't meeting the quota for being alpha male or alpha female? Because we know in todays world the alpha image is praised and favored, and so if a guy for example thinks the key to having a successful life is being an alpha male yet he can't succeed in this regard he will feel like a failure and start to become angry person in general. Same for females and vice verse.

Please give your input.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
I feel like you encompass exactly what you are stating is the problem in your statement, from our exchanges. If I post an article that I think is of interest, you attack if you don't agree with it. I may not agree with it myself, but you attack me and tell me what my position is, without knowing. And you have no humor, you get upset when I make a little fun of a communist and a man named Buttigieg that is married to a man and is running for President of the United States. If you can't laugh at that, I don't know..

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I feel like you encompass exactly what you are stating is the problem in your statement, from our exchanges. If I post an article that I think is of interest, you attack if you don't agree with it. I may not agree with it myself, but you attack me and tell me what my position is, without knowing. And you have no humor, you get upset when I make a little fun of a communist and a man named Buttigieg that is married to a man and is running for President of the United States. If you can't laugh at that, I don't know..

I will have to agree with you on the getting upset thing and Falcon being serious all the time? but overall he is a good guy. Maybe you guys can chat about something else see you may have something in common that will make the environment a little be not intense.