Why Pakistani army isn't able to defeat Taliban? | World Defense

Why Pakistani army isn't able to defeat Taliban?

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Pakistan has been at war with ''Taliban Pakistan'' for many years now but isn't able to put an end to this group. in your own opinion why could have gone wrong? what could Pakistan do to end Taliban?

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Not too familiar with the situation in Pakistan but I imagine it's more or less the same as in Afghanistan. A farmed for 23h a day and a Taliban for 1h. Hard to pin them down since there is no form of surveillance and personal identification. They attack the government troops when they feel like it and if the government comes around to do sweep the area they just act like friendly farmers.

Increased intelligence is one solution but it too would only have limited success.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
One way or another, Taliban has been pulling the strings within the government and within the military. I don't think the current prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, has successfully weeded out Taliban spies or pro-Taliban officials in his administration. The government is still in the recovery stage. Past administrations were not only riddled by rampant corruption, but the whole bureaucracy was structurally and morally messed up . Sharif's cabinet isn't done cleaning up the mess. In view of those facts, how can an ill government dispatch a healthy military to rout a well-organized terrorist network - not to mention one of the largest in the history of mankind?

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I reckon it could be not doing enough or,some officials could be corrupt and helping these sort of people in the country and even the government may be controlled by the Taliban people. What needs to be done is remove the ones in high places in the government and power which will weaken the control they have. Change the view of common people that the Taliben are not good although they may have some good motives but in the long term are about themselves.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well it is impossible to defeat an enemy that is the friend of your superiors and therefore the talibans will always have the upper hand with the Pakistani army because they are friends of the government.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Well it is impossible to defeat an enemy that is the friend of your superiors and therefore the talibans will always have the upper hand with the Pakistani army because they are friends of the government.

Pakistan army doesn't have the capability to defeat Taliban. Taliban is using guerrilla warfare tactic which Pakistan army can't handle.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I have been reading about that Taliban but I'm not really into it. However, there was one article in New York Times that claims to have inside information on the Taliban. That the rebel group is being used the government to promote its army. When there is no enemy, the army's budget becomes small and it is given more when there is an enemy. As what the article said... simple mathematics.

jazzyjazz

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Pakistan
@Corzhens , Sir your last comment is seriously offensive and the fact that you have next to no information on my country makes it even worse. You think Tehreek e Taliban Pakistan is being used by govt to increase army's budget? Do you know that the same group attacked a cantonment area school on 16th Dec 2014 and killed 150 kids and most of those were kids of army soldiers. I have a friend who is a major in Pak Army and they have caught Terrorists during their operation in KPK province who are not circumcised. These Taliban leaders are being trained, funded and planted by our enemies. And you should always research facts before going on a blaming spree.

Zeroneverends

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
Pakistan has been at war with ''Taliban Pakistan'' for many years now but isn't able to put an end to this group. in your own opinion why could have gone wrong? what could Pakistan do to end Taliban?
It seems it is a fight that can not be won, perhaps compatible to the American Vietnam war.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
The Situation is similar to what is on in Afghanistan. In my opinion it is a rock and a hard place where as they continue to fight to protect their nation but the progress seems low it seems similar to the US war in Vietnam or the soviet war in Afghanistan. Some of my friends on facebook has said the Pakistani army has liberated Waziristan but they are fighting the TTP on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
The geo-terrain is what makes it hard for Pakistan to win the battle. Its hard not only for Pakistan but any regular army to counter insurgency adopting guerrilla warfare tactic and strategy.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
@Corzhens , Sir your last comment is seriously offensive and the fact that you have next to no information on my country makes it even worse. You think Tehreek e Taliban Pakistan is being used by govt to increase army's budget? Do you know that the same group attacked a cantonment area school on 16th Dec 2014 and killed 150 kids and most of those were kids of army soldiers. I have a friend who is a major in Pak Army and they have caught Terrorists during their operation in KPK province who are not circumcised. These Taliban leaders are being trained, funded and planted by our enemies. And you should always research facts before going on a blaming spree.

Oh, pardon me if you are offended. That issue about being used by the government is not my opinion. I clearly said that I had read it in the newspaper. And the reason I posted it is to give those concerned like you to air the truth on the matter. Now, if you are offended, I apologize and let me say that I don't have the intention to malign any rebel group. That is also the reason why I initially said that I'm not into it, meaning I have not much knowledge on the matter and I am posting for that knowledge.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
The geo-terrain is what makes it hard for Pakistan to win the battle. Its hard not only for Pakistan but any regular army to counter insurgency adopting guerrilla warfare tactic and strategy.

Yemen terrain is far harder than that of Pakistan and so far the collation was able to have full control over 80% of Yemen and Taliban are not like the Houthis and former Saleh who have advanced weaponry including airforce, ballistic missiles that the collation destroyed at the beginning of the operation. Pakistan failed to beat the Taliban that is the bottom line.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Yemen terrain is far harder than that of Pakistan and so far the collation was able to have full control over 80% of Yemen and Taliban are not like the Houthis and former Saleh who have advanced weaponry including airforce, ballistic missiles that the collation destroyed at the beginning of the operation. Pakistan failed to beat the Taliban that is the bottom line.

I was talking to a Pakistani guy yesterday and he told that Pakistan military doesn't want to confront Taliban rather use them against India. I was shocked when he told me that because we hear a lot about Taliban operation against the Army and inside Pakistan. Corruption as its finest.

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
For the same reason much stronger armed forces haven't been able to completely defeat them. They rely on an ideology that's viewed favorably by a lot of the people living in the areas they operate, therefore they get a lot of support and can hide among the civilians in the area.