Will Kurdish fighters become a problem once ISIS is defeated? | World Defense

Will Kurdish fighters become a problem once ISIS is defeated?

Reactions
21 0 0
Country
Iran
Will Kurdish fighters become a problem once ISIS is defeated? It will cause headache to Iran and to Turkey in the first place and to Iraq itself if the Kurds start claiming independence. What do you guys think? The Kurds are getting a lot of arms as of late and might shift to fighting the Iraqi army afterward. Maybe that is why Iran has decided to intervene in fighting ISIS so to make sure the Kurds don't achieve anything once the situation settle down.

Sinan

Reactions
226 2 0
Country
Turkey
Will Kurdish fighters become a problem once ISIS is defeated? It will cause headache to Iran and to Turkey in the first place and to Iraq itself if the Kurds start claiming independence. What do you guys think? The Kurds are getting a lot of arms as of late and might shift to fighting the Iraqi army afterward. Maybe that is why Iran has decided to intervene in fighting ISIS so to make sure the Kurds don't achieve anything once the situation settle down.
Instead of saying Kurds maybe we should analyze it by dissecting it to factions like KRG, YPG, PKK, PJAK.

- KRG:
KRG's ties with Turkey is excellent we provided them with weaponry and aids during their fight with the ISIS. Iran did the same. But Peshmerga had some problems with Shite militia in Kirkuk as Peshmerga moved into Kirkuk and decleared it as Kurdish territory (taking it from Iraqi Central Government) so we may expect some kind of stand-off between KRG and Central government. Iran would stand behind it's shite brothers. But i don't think, things would escalate into a war. As KRG would be decimated by combined Iraqi and Iranian forces, they would seek peaceful ways to solve the solution.

-YPG:
YPG is currently being used be US to act as it's ground forces in Syria, they are expending their territory in Syria. Unless they expand their territory all the way to Mediterranean (which they can't because Turkmen towns and villages stand in their way) they won't pose a threat to Turkey. Although we affiliate them with PKK. They have never attacked Turkey and probably never will as the terrain is not suitable for insurgency fighting (flat plains). Iran doesn't have any borders with YPG, so no problem.

-PKK:
PKK operates in the KRG controlled land. Barzani doesn't likes them much as PKK promotes Öcalan but Barzani likes to be the man and never share power with other factions. He deploys his family members to various positions in his government. So, we can say, Barzani would confine PKK.
About PKK-Turkey, Recently Ocalan called for "drop of the arms" for PKK. Peace prosess is going in full speed. PKK doesn't involve with Iran much

-PJAK:
These guys are history...some of them are fighting in Iraq against Daesh and say" We will return to Iran and liberate there"... but they are bunch of clowns. Nothing serious would happen. PJAK doesn't involve with Turkey much.

Last edited:

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I don't expect that to happen. I think the Kurds just want to live out their lives in peace. If they are given a fair voice in the Iraqi government, I think they will be satisfied. If I remember correctly they had a semi-autonomous area. If they retain those rights and privileges, it would be in their best interests to not seek independence entirely. As an independent country they would be very small and vulnerable.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Im afraid that there are some hidden supporters to the Kurds. The Kurds are now heavily armed and have a goal to establish their own country, part of Syria, Iraq and Turkey.

I found this map. I laughed first but I realized after reading some thoughts and views how serious the Kurds are.

contemporarykurdistanmap2005.jpg

The Kurds can have their share in Syria and Iraq but hard for them to even think about grabbing a portion of Turkey and Iran.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Having pushed ISIS back from several towns, I'm sure the Kurdish fighters now believe they can fight any army and probably win. Once ISIS is defeated, these Kurds, will most likely not lay down arms. Independence has always been their objective and now that they can seize the territory they take from ISIS, they could call the "caliphate" Kurdistan. Anyone who doesn't like it . . .

Sinan

Reactions
226 2 0
Country
Turkey
Having pushed ISIS back from several towns, I'm sure the Kurdish fighters now believe they can fight any army and probably win. Once ISIS is defeated, these Kurds, will most likely not lay down arms. Independence has always been their objective and now that they can seize the territory they take from ISIS, they could call the "caliphate" Kurdistan. Anyone who doesn't like it . . .

Mate, let's not forget that. When Daesh started to attack Peshmerga, Peshmerga couldn't resist against Daesh. In Mount Sinjar, Makhmour, Kobane, Tel Afar.... i mean they were beaten by Daesh in every front they have fought. Then coalition strikes began and Daesh stopped, after months of vigorous bombing by coalition air-strikes. Daesh slowly began retreating and Kurdish forces advanced.

If they are believing that they can fight and win against any standing army in the region, they are greatly mistaken.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
If they are believing that they can fight and win against any standing army in the region, they are greatly mistaken.
The growing influence of Iran in the region complicates matters. Since Iran has been openly funding and arming terrorists I don't think the Kurdish fighters will be fighting any army. They'll be facing jihadis who are as bad as or worse than ISIS. So IMO even when ISIS is defeated or degraded there'll still be some fighting because if the conflict is sustained, in case Israel declares war on Iran, they [the Iranians] would find it easier to launch any kind of attacks on Israel from Syria.