Will the arms trade eventually dominate world economics? | World Defense

Will the arms trade eventually dominate world economics?

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
The arms trade has been enjoying unprecedented momentum of late. Many nations are stocking up on advanced weapons to be able to counter any threats to their sovereignty. These weapons are not cheap, therefore, billions of dollars are being spent on these acquisitions and these figures are rapidly increasing by the day.
I am wondering if the arms trade will eventually become the top money earner worldwide.

madetofly

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Brazil
I don't think they will, but yes, they can represent a considerable part of the world economy. But they will never be the dominant sector unless we star going to a world way, in that case, every government would start buying and producing weapons. In normal times, the technology market or the food market will always be the biggest ones.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
The arms trade is having a heyday because of the impending wars all over the world particularly that one in Syria. I've read that the US is the leading trader of war equipment and armaments. But when things cool down in the Middle East, the eyes will focus back on the economy and other needs like the problem with pollution and requirement for energy then the arms trade will sink somehow.

If there will be a war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, I guess US and Russia will be raking in money from the sales of arms.

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
The arms trade will always be a huge money earner but I don't think it will get to a point of being top money earner and therefore affect the world economy adversely. Arms trades still have lots of pressure against it and it vastly done in secret, under the radar. The monies coming in do benefit economies but more so they benefit individuals and organizations so I don't know if the money really gets a chance to circulate well into determining economies of scale on a larger scope.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Arms trade has a lot of impact on specific economies. Also, it incentivizes countries to develop deadlier weapons that can be used in case of war. It's gotten to the point where nanoseconds are being brushed off with every new weapon. I wouldn't say it would dominate world economics, but it does impact specific economies.

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
I think it is already the top money earner in the world as politicians around the globe use money from the sale of weapons to run their campaigns and fill their pockets and let the people think that they are making a nation run well on governing it but it is the trade in warfare that keeps countries going!

silentwarfare

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
USA
Of course. Besides food, water, sex, and shelter, there is always drama and war of some kind no matter how great or small. When the capacity for war is large, the demand for weaponry that is large accompanies it. Giants like Lockheed Martin and Raytheon are never going to suffer financially for the long run. At the moment, Lockeed Martin is cutting a few jobs here and there to restructure while Raytheon and Northrop Grumman continue to grow every day. Eventually only a few trades will exist and it is going to be full circle back to the start only in a much darker and more technological way than ever seen before when it does.

TungstenCube

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, because the fundamental resources of life are becoming more and more scarce. There will be a water shortage within the next two decades, and the usable water resources will be heavily guarded. Oil, the principal commodity, will be replaced by alternate energy advancements and water will take center stage.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Arms trade has, over the years, rooted itself in today's society. It has become a horrific reality. Much as we try to shake it off, but it's already there and private corporations, governments, stateless organizations and whatnot have, one way or another, engaged in it. It's not dominating the world economy but it's a big source of income for countries whose governments manufacture weapons.

John Snort

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Egypt
For nations that sell weapons I bet that they'll be making more money than they did because the arms race is on. There is one problem though. Due to restrictions which are at times imposed, for various reasons, some countries are opting to make their own weapons and military equipments.

Turkey for example decided to make their own armed drones systems because of U.S restrictions and now no longer need US-made armed drone systems. So maybe in future, there'll be fewer countries buying weapons.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
It does seem that arms and drugs are two major commodities in huge demand, and that demand isn't going to decrease anytime soon. As far as arms trade, there are both the legal versions and also illegal versions. No doubt, regardless of how much governments regulate sales, those looking to buy and sell arms, much like those looking to do the same with drugs, will find a way.

TylerDresden

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Nope I don't agree that the arms race is dominating the economy at all. It the underlying technologies and occluded rift of the CoD generation that scares me. It's like they got infinite respawns and God code on. Be scared of the nerd who control drones with their "joysticks". Next thing you know your melted by a plasma beam fIredell from the stratosphere. Pray to a God that allows the meek with such awe inspiring power.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
The arms trade has been enjoying unprecedented momentum of late. Many nations are stocking up on advanced weapons to be able to counter any threats to their sovereignty. These weapons are not cheap, therefore, billions of dollars are being spent on these acquisitions and these figures are rapidly increasing by the day.
I am wondering if the arms trade will eventually become the top money earner worldwide.

I doubt it.
While it is true that the arms sales has gone up in recent years, it is still just a small portion of the GDP.
NATO for example, how many countries actually spend more than 2% of its GDP on the military? How much of this below 2% is actually from "trade"? Even for the top 3 arms exporters, the US, Russia, China, the amount of money they earn from arms sale is nothing compare to their own GDP.

Unless there is a major world war, the arms sale will never become a major factor in the world's economy. People still have to eat, wear clothes, use lots of consumables, drive cars, live in apartment and houses every day. Only a major war will impact the daily life of the majority people. Only when the world's majority countries shift their economy to war economy, arms sales will be nothing but pocket changes for most countries.