WILL THE WORLD PAY ATTENTION NOW?

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
WILL THE WORLD PAY ATTENTION NOW?
f030e1de-3fc1-4133-8799-ac7ce2b92fea_16x9_600x338.JPG

Reports said the boy was from the north Syrian town of Kobane near the Turkish border. (Reuters)

By Al Arabiya News | Staff Writer
Thursday, 3 September 2015

Warning: This article contains images that readers may find disturbing

A photo of a toddler’s lifeless body washed ashore on a Turkish beach after a migrant boat sank has sparked an international outcry on social media on Wednesday, in a poignant image of the refugee crisis gripping headlines across the globe.

The boy was among at least 12 other Syrians died attempting to journey by sea on an overcrowded dinghy to the Greek island of Kos. Among the dead were five children and a woman.

Another 15 people were rescued and the coastguard, backed by helicopters, was continuing its search for three more who were still missing, a statement said.

Turkish media identified the boy as 3-year-old Aylan Kurdi, whose 5-year-old brother also died on the same boat. Media reports said he was from the north Syrian town of Kobane near the Turkish border, scene of heavy fighting between ISIS militants and Kurdish regional forces a few months ago.

The images showed little Kurdi lying face down in the sand near Bodrum, one of Turkey’s prime tourist resorts, before he was picked up by a police officer in photographs taken by the Dogan news agency.

‘Humanity washed ashore’
The hashtag “#KiyiyaVuranInsanlik” (“Humanity washed ashore”) made it to Twitter’s top world trending topics after the image was widely shared.

The image made the front page of almost all of Britain’s major newspapers, including some that had previously taken a hard line on the migrant crisis.

“If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?” asked The Independent in an editorial which was headlined: “Somebody’s child.”

London has come in for criticism over the number of refugees it has accepted which is lower than other EU countries in proportion to its population.

Over the last week, there has been a dramatic spike in the numbers of migrants - mainly from Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Africa - seeking to leave Turkey by sea for Greece in the hope of finding new lives in the European Union.

The United Nations refugee agency UNHCR says more than 2,500 people have died trying to cross the Mediterranean so far this year.

[With AFP and Reuters]

Last Update: Thursday, 3 September 2015 KSA 14:25 - GMT 11:25
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/09/03/Photo-of-Syrian-boy-drowned-on-Turkish-beach-sparks-outcry.html

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Extremely sad incident, however sorry but I blame both the Arab people and the governments. This boys parents left Syria because all the parties there serve their own interests. And there is no longer revolution vs government. It's different factions fighting for their stake and political goals. Therefore a Syrian no longer finds it worth it to stay and assist the revolution because the groups fight for their own interests.

Another reason is the Arab governments, they gave pledges to support the people. But because several parties arises that they don't like(MB, Nusra, ISIS and many other groups) they abandoned these pledges. Now they ask the world to act. The world is not going to get into a war with Russia and Iran because Arab governements don't care for their people. Even if the war succeeds, islamists will be empowered. So the Arab governments will cry again and beg the world to go at war with them.

So this is fault of the Arab governments who are so paranoid about holding power that even fall of Assad terrifies them. Egypt does not want his fall, Jordan doesn't either. UAE and Lebanon don't want either. Maybe only Saudi Arabia genuinely does. Now the Jordanian people is different case, they want him to fall but can't influence the events there.

We need to stop sending Syrians to migrate to Europe, bring them to other places in Arab world or get a war going and solve the issue already. The world won't fight it for you.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
This is heartbreaking. I would blame the Arabian world first and then the UN second. Syria has been bleeding for almost five years now and now seems to care. I don't understand those bloods spilled mean nothing to the whole world! I feel sick and disgusted.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
What the world is going to do is use the picture on a poster, maybe convince their friends to donate some money to the "I want to use the tragedy in Syria to make my friends think I'm trendy and nice" fund. Then a few months from now some little kid will look sooooo cute with the bald head, in a cancer ward... and then the world will forget about the refugees from Syria and the dead little boy on a beach... because the sad fact is the world doesn't give a shit about that little boy, or the girl with the bald head, except for the short amount time that they can stick their hands in the cookie jar full of donations.

Meanwhile, anyone who actually does care, and will lose sleep over seeing that little boy, are too broke to do anything to help.

But this is just my guess.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
This is heartbreaking. I would blame the Arabian world first and then the UN second. Syria has been bleeding for almost five years now and now seems to care. I don't understand those bloods spilled mean nothing to the whole world! I feel sick and disgusted.

Sadly now Syrians feel everything is a waste and now believe they should just allow Iran and allies to take over Syria. They feel a lot of helplessness, the ones that don't put their faith in ISIS and this will only help ISIS grow.

What the world is going to do is use the picture on a poster, maybe convince their friends to donate some money to the "I want to use the tragedy in Syria to make my friends think I'm trendy and nice" fund. Then a few months from now some little kid will look sooooo cute with the bald head, in a cancer ward... and then the world will forget about the refugees from Syria and the dead little boy on a beach... because the sad fact is the world doesn't give a shit about that little boy, or the girl with the bald head, except for the short amount time that they can stick their hands in the cookie jar full of donations.

True talk, it will be exploited for financial purposes, this why I don't bother dealing with these so called 'humanitarian' organizations, it's all business.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Sadly now Syrians feel everything is a waste and now believe they should just allow Iran and allies to take over Syria. They feel a lot of helplessness, the ones that don't put their faith in ISIS and this will only help ISIS grow.

True talk, it will be exploited for financial purposes, this why I don't bother dealing with these so called 'humanitarian' organizations, it's all business.
A few years back I didn't have any money, but I wasn't working so I had time and willingness to help out. I called every one of those organizations that I could find the number for. I wasn't in a position to pay 3200$ to go into the peace corp (they also only wanted people with college degrees), I called Green Peace, the ASPCA, and a few others. Every single one of them told me the ONLY thing I can do to help is give them money. I'm sure I could find a church I can join and go help people who need it. But if you g with a church you have to be a "missionary", where yu basically help out the people who are willing to convert to Christianity. I'm not even christian, myself. How am I supposed to talk someone else into it? I'm agnostic with a tendency to lean towards atheism. If I did anything like that, it would be very obvious I'm trying to sell a product that I don't believe in. Not to mention it makes me sick to my stomach to think about the fact those pompous assholes think they have the right to try to convert ANYONE... particularly when they use "helping" as a bargaining chip.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Since when the world gives a fuck about human life!

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
It is sad that the world we live in, even with the technological advancements is not providing for the people who need it and the refugees have to leave their country for a better future, and hope changes occur so the people don't have to use illegal means. I think that the governments need to do more for the people as they need to have jobs, and also feel secure in the country they live in and the boy lost his life which is depressing and this should cause changes even small ones to occur. The humanity organizations want the dollars to come in, I reckon people should be able to physically help out not just donate the money and hope things are done.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
There are many in the West who feel that Arab nations should be doing more to help the Syrian refugees. While that to some extent is true, since there is instability in the Middle East and there's a possibility it could spread, the only logical thing refugees who are fleeing the chaos must do is to go somewhere they at least have the assurance of safety and peace.

I wish more would be done to help . . .

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
There are many in the West who feel that Arab nations should be doing more to help the Syrian refugees. While that to some extent is true, since there is instability in the Middle East and there's a possibility it could spread, the only logical thing refugees who are fleeing the chaos must do is to go somewhere they at least have the assurance of safety and peace.

I wish more would be done to help . . .
Actually, some Arabs are doing their best, about 20% of Jordanian population are Syrian refugees, 25% of Lebanon population are Syrian refugees as well. Saudi Arabia received about two million Syrians with unlimited residency and further special treatment, so they're not treated as refugees.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom

Meanwhile, anyone who actually does care, and will lose sleep over seeing that little boy, are too broke to do anything to help.

But this is just my guess.

Couldn't agree with you more. Seriously, why on earth has it taken a picture of a dead child before anyone started caring? Did the world seriously have to be shocked into giving a stuff? Before this picture was released, people were more bothered about some lion being shot by accident.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Very sad that this little bot lost his life in trying to venture to pastures safe and new, but the image is staged somewhat as the boy was originally found among some rocks a little further along the beach. While it is a very sad situation, I don't agree with using the picture as propaganda to allow the floodgates to open to thousands of migrants.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Actually, some Arabs are doing their best, about 20% of Jordanian population are Syrian refugees, 25% of Lebanon population are Syrian refugees as well. Saudi Arabia received about two million Syrians with unlimited residency and further special treatment, so they're not treated as refugees.
I didn't know that. Rumors [mostly false I surmise] that have been going round making people in the West unwilling to welcome more refugees is the thought that other Muslims aren't helping their Syrian brethren. An article I saw a while back made the bold assertion that Gulf States weren't that much interested in taking in refugees.

Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
These «refugees» should stay in the safe bordering countries like Jordan,Turkey etc.. and the EU should help them to handle the crisis. (By helping them financially for exemple).

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
These «refugees» should stay in the safe bordering countries like Jordan,Turkey etc.. and the EU should help them to handle the crisis. (By helping them financially for exemple).

The refugees need to go home. We should all work in a collective manner to solve the Syrian issue once and for all.