Women banned from driving by Orthodox Jewish sect | World Defense

Women banned from driving by Orthodox Jewish sect

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Women banned from driving by Orthodox Jewish sect

A local rabbi said: “It’s always been regarded in Chasidic circles as not the done thing for a lady to drive.” (Reuters)

Friday, 29 May 2015

UK leaders of the Orthodox Jewish sect Belz have banned women from driving their children to the school, explaining that ‘the presence of female drivers contradicted the traditional rules of modesty,’ RT daily wrote.

The Belz sect follows Chasidic Jewish tradition and practices a very conservative lifestyle.

The Belz rabbis in Stamford Hill, North London, sent a letter to Jewish families warning that children would be banned from schools if driven by their mothers.

Jewish Chronicle reported that a letter signed by the leaders of Belz schools stated there had been “great resentment among parents and pupils of our institutions” with the increase in women driving.

A local rabbi said: “It’s always been regarded in Chasidic circles as not the done thing for a lady to drive.”

While Dina Brawer, UK ambassador of the Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance, disagreed and regarded the policy as ‘disturbing.’

A Belz Jewish woman feels most women will disregard this rule and continue to drive their children around town.

She said the rule “disables women.”

She than added: “The more kids they have, the more they need to drive.”

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Islam and Judism at its central core are pretty much the same, they both have strict dietary laws and they both believe in punishments as an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth.

This is why there should be a seperation between religion and state. If members of a certain sect believe its members should follow certain rules that is fine. The problem happens when they try and impose these rules on the general public.

If you are a woman and want to drive a car, don't join that Jewish sect.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Religion, in theory, should make the world a better place. Theoretically. Now, how do these laws make the world a better place? Women driving . . . how does it affect anyone or any man who doesn't like it? Didn't women ride horses, camels and donkeys in the past? How is driving a car any different?

Strange that what religious leaders focus on more these days is make rules which will make life more difficult for women.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
If you are a woman and want to drive a car, don't join that Jewish sect.

Exactly what I was going to say. No one is forcing them to join these crazy sects... though there might be pressure from the family and friends it's ultimately their own choice.

Clairelouise84

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Religion, in theory, should make the world a better place. Theoretically. Now, how do these laws make the world a better place? Women driving . . . how does it affect anyone or any man who doesn't like it? Didn't women ride horses, camels and donkeys in the past? How is driving a car any different?

Strange that what religious leaders focus on more these days is make rules which will make life more difficult for women.
Well said, they really seem to object to the advancement of women and so will do just about anything to make sure that they try to keep women down. I understand they do not need to join this sect but for the existing members this hardly seems fair, I bet it makes life more difficult for the men too though! And I really hope it does!

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
But it's not like anyone is being forced to be a part of the sect. They have the freedom to leave the sect any time they want. True religion IMO shouldn't be about imposing meaningless laws which might force people to lose faith/turn their backs on it [their religion, that is].

Clairelouise84

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
But it's not like anyone is being forced to be a part of the sect. They have the freedom to leave the sect any time they want. True religion IMO shouldn't be about imposing meaningless laws which might force people to lose faith/turn their backs on it [their religion, that is].
Very true, I do find it strange that people have not done so already but that is just me, I really don't get religion in the slightest I understand that lots of people do but I don't understand how they can have their lives dictated in every way like that and be oppressed because of "tradition"

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Exactly what I was going to say. No one is forcing them to join these crazy sects... though there might be pressure from the family and friends it's ultimately their own choice.
If they turn their back on their religion, its not unheard of for their entire family and all of their friends will turn their back on them. I guess it comes down to a choice: lose everything that was ever important to you; or give up driving a car. I can't drive because of a seizure disorder, but I still don't believe I could accept the double standard and being treated like a 2nd class citizen.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
If they turn their back on their religion, its not unheard of for their entire family and all of their friends will turn their back on them. I guess it comes down to a choice: lose everything that was ever important to you; or give up driving a car. I can't drive because of a seizure disorder, but I still don't believe I could accept the double standard and being treated like a 2nd class citizen.

Yes that is very much possible.
But if their religion is more important to them than their friends & family, then do you really want those people in your life in the first place?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Very true, I do find it strange that people have not done so already but that is just me, I really don't get religion in the slightest I understand that lots of people do but I don't understand how they can have their lives dictated in every way like that and be oppressed because of "tradition"
It's got more to do with brainwashing. There's less "spirituality" to it though that should be the sole purpose of religion. It's about seeking a connection with a Higher Power. However the religious leaders crave power and more power and how else can they feel they have the power unless they get those under them do whatever they please?

Last edited:

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Yes that is very much possible.
But if their religion is more important to them than their friends & family, then do you really want those people in your life in the first place?
If its all youve ever known, and just the way things worked, then they probably do. And I'm sure I don't have to tell you, the hold religion can have on a person can be stronger than anything else in this world. Lets not forget, if you allow any doubt in your heart than you are doomed to an eternity of fire and brimstone. That probably doesnt sound like a very good deal to people who believe. There's always the free thinkers and rebellious people who not only allows doubt in their heart, but shoves it in everyone's face while flipping them off and yelling, "I don't want people like you in my life, anyway!" But those are typically the minority.

STM

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Romania
Yeah, theoretically it should be leaned toward people in order for them to find their eternal happiness in heaven. Though this is not what happens. Well, it's never happened this way, nevertheless. It's always been a tool to manipulate people into thinking that there's a superior force above us that can punish us whenever we don't abide to its (Church) learning. And even today, preponderantly in Eastern Europe, this is still the case unfortunately.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
He pretty much join at birth and are then married within the faith, so there is not a lot of deliberate joining as an adult going on. Once you are a married Hasidic woman leaving would be essentially giving up everything and everyone you have every known. People may choose to do that, but not over something as minor as a directive from your kids' school.

As the school has no regulatory authority I support the woman who is just ignoring them. I think they can give advice to parents about what they do outside of the school, but if they punish her for not following that advice they are crossing a line.