Women in the US military | World Defense

Women in the US military

saastil

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
What sorts of roles do female members receive? Are there female combatants yet in the infantry, or are they restricted to support roles? If women are restricted to certain jobs, is that the same for all branches of the military?

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
Not US, but a good friend of mine is in the Canadian Infantry. She's pretty bad-ass too, and was consistently scoring top of her class [leaving some of the dudes in the dirt on some really brutal fun stuff]. There aren't a lot of women in infantry though, but there are many women in various roles throughout the US military. Lots of fobbits and support staff - medical etc.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I'm not really sure whether they've already changed their rules, but women in the military are usually relegated to support roles and are not encouraged to join the front lines. So yes, a number of them have desk or back office jobs. Some females are assigned as medics or part of a reconnaissance team. I don't think I can support the idea of women joining the front lines. At least not yet.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I wish that we would see women in the front lines. Theres very little reason why they shouldn't be there now. I've heard men claim women are slower, weaker, and as a result of those two things couldn't keep up. Thats total BS though in todays army. You're taken by Trucks or helo everywhere you need to get.

horse next door

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Germany
There is no reason why women should not be on the front lines. If they wish to join the army, they should be treated as a male. Everyone is equal in the army and there are no exceptions.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
What sorts of roles do female members receive? Are there female combatants yet in the infantry, or are they restricted to support roles? If women are restricted to certain jobs, is that the same for all branches of the military?
Women have been right there on the battle field with men. I'm sure they can request certain roles that are less dangerous. All military is not about fighting. There is equal roles that don't require killing.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I'm not so sure women should be in the front lines of battle. Its not that I think they are inferior or weak. I just think women should be respected. War is very barbaric and I think men should handle the dirty work required to win.

saastil

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
If a woman wants to fight on the front lines, have enough respect for her to respect her decision. War is barbaric is about the only correct thing in that sentence you wrote.

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
Women on the frontlines were crucial in the Afghanistan/IRAQ missions - especially as part of the "Hearts and Minds" strategy. Because of Muslim traditions, men aren't allowed to speak to women they do not know. I've seen footage of UK/Canadian female infantry coming along to compounds and speaking with the women there. This wouldn't be possible otherwise.