World faces 'climate tragedy' - Kerry | World Defense

World faces 'climate tragedy' - Kerry

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
_79686439_hi025082690.jpg

Climate talks in Lima have entered their final day with long-running issues still dividing the parties, despite an impassioned appeal from US Secretary of State John Kerry.

Mr Kerry told the negotiators that the world was "still on a course leading to tragedy".

An ambitious deal he said was "not an option, it is an urgent necessity".

But ongoing battles are threatening to limit any progress in the Peruvian capital.

Many developed countries want to see a change in the way the nations are classified in the UN process.

Until now, the rich have been obliged to take on commitments to cut emissions while the poor have not.

Countries such as the US say that the old divisions are outdated and they want everyone to take on some form of obligation.

'Red lines'
In his speech, Mr Kerry reinforced this idea. No country should have a "free pass" anymore, he said.

"I know this is difficult for developing nations. We have to remember that today more than half of emissions are coming from developing nations, so it is imperative that they act too."

But this approach is being resisted by a number of countries, including China and many others, who want to adhere to the idea of "common but differentiated responsibilities".

BBC News - Lima climate talks: Old divisions surface between rich and poor

downsouth

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Most emissions are released from poorer countries that don't adhere or comply to the emissions laws set forth by western countries. India and China are huge contributors to the pollution of our atmosphere. It is not fair to force the rich to cut down on emissions and let the developing nations do as they please. But how can these developing nations ever achieve stability and over come poverty if they don't jump start their economy ?

downsouth

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
When it comes to mature emission regulations for commercial vehicles, the world is currently governed by three major legislative standards:

• Environmental Protection Agency or EPA Standards
  • California Air Resources Board or CARB Standards
  • European Commission or Euro Standards
    • TA-Luft, Germany
    • Vehicle Certification Agency or VCA, United Kingdom
    • Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transportation or JMLIT Standards

downsouth

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
In emerging emissions countries, there are also various governance sources that model their commercial vehicle regulations from the three major legislative standards of EPA, Euro and Japan standards:

• China National Standard
  • India or Bharat Stage Standard
  • Brazil National Council for the Environment or CONAMA PROCONVE Standards
  • Korean Ministry of Environment or KMOE Standard

Divbyxero

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I absolutely agree with Kerry, things have to be changed. While the planet is not imminently in danger, in the near future it certainly is. Developing countries are a part of this Earth and need to be guided for the greater human good. Common responsibilities isn't a good idea either, as every nation's situation is complex in its own manner.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I some how agree with you however, you need to think about these developing countries, many are poor so they need to afford the bite by any means. They have very basic infrastructures, industries...etc. Its very very hard for them to counter pollution or shift for clean and renewable energy methods...etc. They don't have the cash to do that. I would suggest that UN discuss this issue and try to come up with a solution to this matter. ChinaD:-D are you serious. They don't give a hoot about anything let alone the environment.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
_79686439_hi025082690.jpg

Climate talks in Lima have entered their final day with long-running issues still dividing the parties, despite an impassioned appeal from US Secretary of State John Kerry.

Mr Kerry told the negotiators that the world was "still on a course leading to tragedy".

An ambitious deal he said was "not an option, it is an urgent necessity".

But ongoing battles are threatening to limit any progress in the Peruvian capital.

Many developed countries want to see a change in the way the nations are classified in the UN process.

Until now, the rich have been obliged to take on commitments to cut emissions while the poor have not.

Countries such as the US say that the old divisions are outdated and they want everyone to take on some form of obligation.

'Red lines'
In his speech, Mr Kerry reinforced this idea. No country should have a "free pass" anymore, he said.

"I know this is difficult for developing nations. We have to remember that today more than half of emissions are coming from developing nations, so it is imperative that they act too."

But this approach is being resisted by a number of countries, including China and many others, who want to adhere to the idea of "common but differentiated responsibilities".

BBC News - Lima climate talks: Old divisions surface between rich and poor
We have many problems in the world and it is mainly due to our lifestyle. Fossil fuel factories play a major role in our climate and that's just one of the many problems we face. This system can't continue like it is, I don't think we have another 50 years under these conditions,we better think fast.

Dez97

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
USA
I some how agree with you however, you need to think about these developing countries, many are poor so they need to afford the bite by any means. They have very basic infrastructures, industries...etc. Its very very hard for them to counter pollution or shift for clean and renewable energy methods...etc. They don't have the cash to do that. I would suggest that UN discuss this issue and try to come up with a solution to this matter. ChinaD:-D are you serious. They don't give a hoot about anything let alone the environment.

I'm right where you are in that last sentence, they need to come up with a solution. Specifically a solution that works and not just any solution.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Most emissions are released from poorer countries that don't adhere or comply to the emissions laws set forth by western countries. India and China are huge contributors to the pollution of our atmosphere. It is not fair to force the rich to cut down on emissions and let the developing nations do as they please. But how can these developing nations ever achieve stability and over come poverty if they don't jump start their economy ?

Asia has got poor emission control indeed. I've been there last year in Manila and my goodness, it took me a while to recover from my cough until I eventually went back to the US. The problem there is, is not just their economy but an utterly disgusting corruption. It would be hard to jumpstart an economy when the government itself are stealing from their own people.

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
We need to slowly shift to alternative energy sources. The oil will run out one day and we will have nothing left to power our machines.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's very much the case these countries are struggling while the rest of the world wants them to comply with resources they don't have. Not only is it impractical, it's unenforceable too. While we are more on a salvage mission rather than save the world, who finances these changes and do other countries have the authority to force them to do so? The UN has always been a large table for discussion and recommendations, but it's also about profits for these companies. Globalization and money still take precedence over climate issues.

diprod

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
Going green with our vehicles is one of the best ways to contribute to stop global warming. We can all do our part no matter how little they are. And about China, I think right now they are being strict and indicting people who are responsible for their pollution especially the latest issue on their rivers where 6 companies were caught dumping their waste in their waters. It's embarrassing. But I'm glad that was solved.

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
We need to slowly shift to alternative energy sources. The oil will run out one day and we will have nothing left to power our machines.
I think this is spot on - we need to look at alternatives, Solar Power is becoming more affordable and you are seeing more people use it. Could we develop better infrastructure in the United States for Mass Transit so people have less reliance on automobiles. We need to start looking at doing things differently or it's going to be a rough road for the generations that come after us.

cyberpinoy

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Philippines
I think all this green stuff is just a bunch of crap. I thin that what we are going thru is a normal process of earth. that no matter what we do what is going to happen will happen no matter how much emissions are put int the air. i thin what we are experiencing has been experienced before and will be experienced again long after we are all dead and gone. its a process of earth, the poles will change, we will go thru a very long ice age just like earth has always done. we can call it maybe a reset switch for earth. But i thin k there is some kind of governmental hidden agenda behind these emission stuff. because with all the tools and abilities we have to produce greener fuel the people talking about emissions problems are the same group that turns down all alternative ways of producing a greener fuel to eraticate these emissions. It is as if they want their cake and eat it to. I think deep down what is going on is preservation of OIL. the less we use the more they have and since Oil is a natural resource there could be a day when we run out then what happens?

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India

Emissions per capita in India and China for 2008 was 1.4 and 5.3 respectively, whereas for the US it was at 18.5. It is nothing short of a complete fabrication to say that a poor country like India, or one where the average person is only emerging out of poverty like China contribute more to global pollution. These countries contribute more simply because a larger portion of humanity lives in them, but in proportion to actual population size, the US and most of the developed world fairs far worse. Developing countries undergoing industrialization have no choice but to depend on fossil fuels for their energy, as rich countries once did.