Would 9/11 happen again? | Page 2 | World Defense

Would 9/11 happen again?

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
What do you think these vulnerabilities are? Maybe we can stop them! I think the next major terrorist attack will be boat related, given that there is not much security on boats.
I don't think it will be ISIS, I think they have enough on their plate right now. It will be Al-Qaeda as always (or some splinter group). I would not like to suggest vulnerabilities, that would be somewhat foolish I think.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I mean a terrorist attack of the same proportions. I agree with you, it's probably unlikely to happen again. But what if there are more lessons to be learnt and there are still some vulnerabilities? Don't you think that's possible?
Regardless of the number of people killed, regardless of how big the damage was, all terrorist attacks are worth condemning. They already happened, are still happening and will continue to happen in the future. Even if this is the reality we all have to live with for God knows when, those terrorists will never take over this world. They will always be at the sidelines.

Kjordo711

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think that the same scenario would happen again, given the new technology aboard american airlines after the attacks. For example, the door to the cockpit of any plane is bolted shut before and after anyone gets on and off the plane. The pilots are specifically instructed that no matter what that door cannot be unlocked. After an attack like 9/11 it is easy for them to know the destructive damage that can be caused by that single plane.

However, I think it is (unfortunately) very likely for another large scale attack to happen sometime soon. I don't think that it necessarily has to be in the form of civilian casualties, but I think it is very likely to be a cyber attack. As more and more resources are poured into this by ISIS (as we saw them hack several US official social media profiles), it wouldn't surprise me if something were at least attempted in the form of a cyber attack. Especially because the threat isn't truly recognized until after it is too late and therefore there is really not enough cyber security where there should be, because no one has really exploited it too terribly. The bad part of this is that its always easier to fix the security problems after they are exploited.

dyanmarie25

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
There's a possibility that it might happen again, though I'm dreading this incident. War and terrorism is not yet eradicated completely, and I doubt it's going to happen in the near future. Anyway, who knows what lies ahead?

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Regardless of the number of people killed, regardless of how big the damage was, all terrorist attacks are worth condemning. They already happened, are still happening and will continue to happen in the future. Even if this is the reality we all have to live with for God knows when, those terrorists will never take over this world. They will always be at the sidelines.
I agree that all terrorist acts are worth condemning. What I meant to say was that there are things we can learn from their actions, to prevent similar actions in the future. What if their intentions were not to take over the world but to enlighten the first world governments to their struggles. I would like to clarify that I do not sympathise with terrorists.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I had in mind. It's impossible for every inch of the coastline to be watched 24/7 so this could provide means of entry into either the UK or US. There's every chance they could hijack a vessel too, either by stowing away, posing as passengers or even getting dropped by helicopter! Not that I'm scaremongering, honestly!
I think you might be right. We need to think about why they would do something like that to prevent it. Security can solve a problem but the best way to solve a problem is to prevent it from occurring in the first place.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Something like that should never happen again. It's a bloody hell, brutal and merciless. Even in imagination it shouldn't happen. And if it did, drastic retaliation should have to be done. It should never be tolerated. But it pays to be prepared and pays to be bloody as well and heartless, even cruel, if what it would give us is fear to do bad in return.

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
Very true. I could see it being a train or subway like the London bombings. I could also picture it taking place in a very public venue, like a school. It's horrible to think that way, but the softer security is, the more they'll plan for it indeed.

And Cartoonists. Gotta watch what you draw, I guess. Deadly pencils.

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
Do you think that 9/11 could happen again given the technological developments in air to ground missiles & especially air warfare? I think if it were to happen again the plane would be shot down. What do you think?
If I recall correctly, there was no warning (other than the usual "you American infidels" that terrorists are always spouting). I think it was just a 'standard commercial airplane taken over by jihadis. Security in airlines has been upgraded to make it more-difficult for anyone to get on an airplane (I haven't heard whether that has actually stopped any further attacks!)

So ... yes, yes it could.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
I think current events support the conclusion that global terrorism is most definitely not on the decline. It is possible that an attack of similar scale could happen again, despite the stringent and paranoid security measures that have been put in place. Countries such as the US, are hotspots for international traffic and immigration and therefore particularly vulnerable to domestic attacks.

It seems that conditions have only gotten worse in tense regions of the world since September 11, 2001.

I don't dread the death and destruction of another terrorist attack nearly as much as the jingoistic and violent reaction that's almost guaranteed. It will be used as an excuse by governments to indefinitely suspend civil rights and to launch wars against countries for vague reasons which eventually cost many times more in death and human suffering than the attacks themselves.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
With the way that IsIs is operating then it is possible for them to recruit people from North American to carry out terrorist attacks within the US. The threat of attack to the US is from within as there is no one brave enough to attack the US from outside.

Kappys

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I highly doubt that anything on the scale of 9/11 would ever happen again. The United States has been at such a strict security level since then that i think that anybody to try something like that again would be preposterous. After we have demonstrated our sheer power overseas, i doubt highly that anyone would try something like that again.

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya
E
Something like that should never happen again. It's a bloody hell, brutal and merciless. Even in imagination it shouldn't happen. And if it did, drastic retaliation should have to be done. It should never be tolerated. But it pays to be prepared and pays to be bloody as well and heartless, even cruel, if what it would give us is fear to do bad in return.
Ever since we toppled Saddam's regime because of some supposedly WMD's, that is where the rain began to beat us. Even the regime change wasn't enough to secure long term peace,look at Iraq at the moment, things are chaotic and suicide bombings are the order of the day. In fact, i honestly think that if we hadn't invaded Iraq and sought diplomatic channels to resolve whatever was irking us, world peace would be a lot better at the moment.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's not impossible, who knows? There are planes that are missing, there are recruits that are sleepers these things are planned well in advance. These days people are more aware and there is more investment in preventing these crimes and dedicated teams that have intelligence including undercover agents. Who knows, maybe another 9/11 has been averted and we, the public were saved and never knew?