Would you support the use of ground troops to fight ISIS? | Page 3 | World Defense

Would you support the use of ground troops to fight ISIS?

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
I would support it. I think the bigger question is; Which country wants to send its troops to battle ISIS?

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
No need for ground troops at all. Just evacuate civilians and increase airstrikes and then deploy ground troops. Its not how you think, airstrikes are guided missiles and bombs. Its not free drop on an x-y location.

Problem is ISIS hides amongst the general population. If you try evacuate any villages you will evacuate ISIS soldiers as well, since you can't tell them apart.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Problem is ISIS hides amongst the general population. If you try evacuate any villages you will evacuate ISIS soldiers as well, since you can't tell them apart.

And that is exactly why to get rid of ISIS, or at least try to, the middle east needs to be at the forefront, and not the US or any other western country.

The civilians who are living shoulder to shoulder with ISIS have to help to weed these people out, the trouble is that many people don't see their neighbour as a terrorist, they still see them as freedom fighters and even hero's to some of these people.

Trying to change people's opinion is going to be an entirely different war all together.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
It doesn't seem like there's any way around it. Stopping them isn't optional. If there is a lot of collateral damage, the numbers have got to be less than the lives lost if ISIS isnt stopped

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
And that is exactly why to get rid of ISIS, or at least try to, the middle east needs to be at the forefront, and not the US or any other western country.

The civilians who are living shoulder to shoulder with ISIS have to help to weed these people out, the trouble is that many people don't see their neighbour as a terrorist, they still see them as freedom fighters and even hero's to some of these people.

Trying to change people's opinion is going to be an entirely different war all together.

Many of the civilians living together with ISIS are ISIS supporters. The rest are afraid of outing ISIS members because they know they will get killed.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
That is the impression I've got, that ISIS are very well supported in the various countries around the middle east by the general population. Getting these people to out the IS fighters isn't going to be something that any western country will be able to do as I think we're classed as the enemy by a lot of people. Even if some of the government's are willing to work with us, the public are definitely not and it's these that are giving IS the opportunity to expand.

Is there even a way back now or is IS, even though still a relatively new organization embedded in the culture of the middle east already?

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
Jordan has said it is prepared to send some troops as part of a larger Arab force. The scum that is Isis will be destroyed but it has to be done in a way that makes sure similar groups won't spring up again.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
And I think that is probably an entirely different issue. While ISIS very well one day might be destroyed, I'm pretty sure others will come to take their place.

Getting rid of these terrorist groups is one thing, eradicating them for good is a whole different ball game and one I fear that we'll never win.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I think if we had a president that knew how to lead and was committed to this fight, we could really destroy ISIS in short order. At the very least, we could put them on the run, kill many of them, and make them use a lot of their resources. There are plenty of willing partners in this fight. Not sure why Obama is not going after them harder, still. Time is wasting. He seems content to pass this problem on to the next president.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
People have different views on the matter obviously. In the past the US have been accused of stepping into a situation when they had no right to intervene, now they're taking a back seat and waiting and people are now saying they should step in.

While it's a tricky position for Obama to be in, I also think it's the rest of the western world that also need to step up and do something about the situation.

A lot of countries have condemned the action of ISIS, not many have actually done anything about it.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I think the USA should stay out of the said areas. They don't want us there anyways. Popular consensus is that they don't like American very much, and this is coming from the people we are suppose to be defending. We should let them handle this problem because it is on their soil. We can provide support in recon, but that's as far as it goes.

That should have been said long ago before the invasion of Iraq by the US. Now the US must shoulder its responsibilities and commitment in rebuilding Iraq and bringing stability to that country.

Yes the region by far doesn't like the US government not the people apart from Israel but that is justifiable is my humble opinion. The question that should be asked is why the people of the said region hate the US government? I will leave that to you to think about.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
The should we or shouldn't we debate is one that will always continue when it comes to the west getting involved in matters especially regarding the ME.

Sometimes I think countries provoke the US to get involved, just so when they do, they can turn round and point the finger when and if it all goes wrong.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The should we or shouldn't we debate is one that will always continue when it comes to the west getting involved in matters especially regarding the ME.

Sometimes I think countries provoke the US to get involved, just so when they do, they can turn round and point the finger when and if it all goes wrong.

LOL that doesn't apply to China or Russia. But when it comes to weak countries we see muscles being flexed. :-E

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Weak countries, countries we can bully, countries we can make sanctions against and get away with it of course. Yes, there type of countries...

For China and Russia we're quite happy to sit back and not get involved, that's totally different of course...for some reason?

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I would support the use of ground troops, drones, elephants, heavy metal music, or booby traps. I think they should do whatever works.