Yemen - Civil War | Page 2 | World Defense

Yemen - Civil War

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I hope this situation doesn't get turned I to another oil conflict. It sounds like an internal issue that the people we not happy with their government. I can't say I blame them. I do not like that the US "backs" other people's governments that is not our business. Sometimes I am so ashamed and embarrassed of my country but there is nothing I can do about it.

Its not the people want, its a militia that wants to hijack the revolution and establish itself as military wing inside the country. Look at Lebanon and Hizbollah. The Houthi wants to copy they same pattern.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
He is butthurt. His shithole country is suffering because of the economic war Saudi Arabia and the GCC states waging against the Mullah state.

Well it's nice to have fun once in while. :)

Although I personally don't support either side. We shouldn't be hostile towards each other. At same time you know my opinion on current situation and all Muslims upset me.

I hold all of us equally responsible for the situation today.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
BBC News - Yemen crisis: Thousands march against rebels in Sanaa

Amid the political chaos of Yemen's conflict comes fresh protests aimed against the rebels. This comes after the resignation of President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi as Shia Houthi rebels tighten their grip over the country, creating a power vacuum. An estimated 10,000 protesters have taken to the streets demanding the President reverse his resignation and resist the rebels.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
I hope this situation doesn't get turned I to another oil conflict. It sounds like an internal issue that the people we not happy with their government. I can't say I blame them. I do not like that the US "backs" other people's governments that is not our business. Sometimes I am so ashamed and embarrassed of my country but there is nothing I can do about it.
Your country is the strongest and most powerful. It's part of the UN, yet, it's duty to watch out for the world troubles and more importantly back the righteous side and deter the wrong one.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
In the name of Democracy, Iranian terror groups took over Yemen by force and terrorism. The same they tried to do in Bahrain.

saastil

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Watching all this unfold in Yemen, I'm wondering if there's any possibility for a more positive situation for the people to come out of this. The "Arab Spring" doesn't seem to have improved the situation in Egypt, Libya or Syria at all, in fact even more strict military authoritarians have risen out of the wreckage. Is there anything that the Yemeni people can do differently in order to create a situation where the government actually listens to them?

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Watching all this unfold in Yemen, I'm wondering if there's any possibility for a more positive situation for the people to come out of this. The "Arab Spring" doesn't seem to have improved the situation in Egypt, Libya or Syria at all, in fact even more strict military authoritarians have risen out of the wreckage. Is there anything that the Yemeni people can do differently in order to create a situation where the government actually listens to them?

The government is in complete paralysis. There is a group named Al-Houthi is in a fight with the government and the people of Yemen. This group wants to establish power using military means. So its not about the government not listening to the people.

saastil

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
The government is in complete paralysis. There is a group named Al-Houthi is in a fight with the government and the people of Yemen. This group wants to establish power using military means. So its not about the government not listening to the people.

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess what I'm wondering is that if the Al-Houthi are successful, would they be just another exploitative military dictatorship over the people, or do they have the means and coordination to improve the general quality of life there. From what I can find about them, it doesn't seem so, they don't seem to have any interest in improving schools/hospitals/food distribution etc. I'm thinking of what happened with the Muslim Brotherhood after Mubarak left, how even an organization that was so well received by the general population failed to create a functioning state.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Thanks for the quick reply! I guess what I'm wondering is that if the Al-Houthi are successful, would they be just another exploitative military dictatorship over the people, or do they have the means and coordination to improve the general quality of life there. From what I can find about them, it doesn't seem so, they don't seem to have any interest in improving schools/hospitals/food distribution etc. I'm thinking of what happened with the Muslim Brotherhood after Mubarak left, how even an organization that was so well received by the general population failed to create a functioning state.

Al-houthi is a copy paste to Hizbollah of Lebanon. Both are illiterate people and immature politically. They cant lead a herd of sheep let alone a country. Yemen is a big country with 25ml people, it needs a strong reformer who can take it out of the mud. For that to happened, a military intervention is a must so that stability prevail then we can talk about reforms.

Last edited:

saastil

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Ahh thanks for the comparison, it puts the current situation into better perspective. I guess in that way Al-Houthi is like the MB too, they just don't have the infrastructure to actually run a country.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Ahh thanks for the comparison, it puts the current situation into better perspective. I guess in that way Al-Houthi is like the MB too, they just don't have the infrastructure to actually run a country.

On top of that Al-Houthi found who funds and arms them, Iran!

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
I have no love for the Yemen's, but it is heart breaking to see this.

Vandita - Anonymous said:
Yemen On Brink of Collapse: Does Anyone Care?
January 29th, 2015 | by Vandita

Yemen, Saudi Arabia’s poor neighbour, is at risk of breaking up. Yemen’s President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi and his cabinet resigned on January 22 amid a standoff with the powerful anti-American Houthi militia which is controlling large parts of the country, including the capital Sana’a, Yemen’s largest missile base and the President’s palace.

Hadi said he was unable to fulfil his responsibilities as president since the militia took over the capital on September 21, 2014. “Matters in Yemen are moving in a different direction,” his resignation letter read, “we choose to distance ourselves from such destructive political chaos which is not based on either law or logical systems”. Prime Minister Khaled Bahah said the government was unable to “serve the Yemeni people and this country to our best ability, conscience, and responsibility,” and resigned in order to avoid being “made party to what is going on and what will happen”.

The Houthis have established militia with sweeping powers. They can storm a ministry and arrest officials on suspicions of corruption. The popular committees are widely seen as a state within the state. Shias feel Houthis are essential to maintain stability; Hadi feels this is an excuse to topple the popular government.

President Hadi is from the southern province Abyan, where the Sunni secessionist movement is calling for the south to break away from the north. If Houthis, who represent the country’s Zaidi sect, an offshoot of Shiite Islam, evict Hadi, the Sunni majority may take up arms. This is why the Houthi militia refrained from talking about overthrow of Hadi and instead signed a deal with Hadi on January 21 that would see them withdraw from government and military infrastructure in exchange for greater political power. By resigning, Hadi may have thought of forcing the Houthis in pulling their fighters out of the capital. So far, the Houthis have stood their ground.

The Houthis are members of a rebel group, also known as Ansar Allah (Partisans of God), and take their name from Hussein Badreddin al-Houthi who led the group’s first uprising in 2004 in an effort to win greater autonomy for Sa’ada province and to protect Zaidi traditions from Sunni Islamists. The baton was passed to Sheikh Sayyid Abdul-Malik al-Houthi in 2005 who displayed characteristics of a tough, efficient battlefield commander in the group’s series of six wars as a rebel movement fighting forces of Ali Abdullah Saleh, President of Yemen from 1990 to 2012. The shrewd leader is now leading Yemen’s most powerful organisation.

Yemeni government accuses Iran, a Shia majority country, of directing and financing the insurgency and helping the Houthis to overthrow the elected government and implement Shia religious law. The Houthis claim they are “defending their community against discrimination and government aggression”. Critics too argue that the Houthis’ rise to power wouldn’t have been possible had it not been for a massive military and financial support from Iran. In 2014, Saudi Arabia declared the Houthis a terrorist organization blaming them for being Iran’s proxy in a Sunni region. The Houthis have admitted to accepting Iranian arms and training in the past, although militia leaders insist they are an organic, national force fighting for the interests of the Zaidi Shiites that ruled a 1,000-year kingdom in Yemen until 1962.

Country’s two-decade autocrat, Ali Abdullah Saleh, who was ousted in Yemen’s revolution in 2012, still has the loyalty of powerful tribesmen, military commanders and businessmen. Elite units at the army still take orders from him. The man, himself a Zaidi, who described ruling Yemen is “like dancing on the heads of snakes”, is under the spotlight again. A leaked phone conversation between Saleh and a Houthi leader suggests that the Shiite militia coordinated militarily and politically with the ex-Prez to dent the current elected government. Interestingly, Houthis were part of the Arab Spring demonstrations against his autocratic rule. Therefore many people had reasons to believe that Saleh was anti-Houthi; this comes as a rude shock to them.

Post-Saleh Yemen saw the rise of the Al-Islah party, which led to the formation of unlikely alliances to counter the predominately-Sunni movement. These alliances include Ali Abdullah Saleh and Abdul-Malik al-Houthi. Al-Islah, the country’s brand of the Muslim Brotherhood, is considered a terrorist organization by the governments of Bahrain, Egypt, Russia, Syria, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates. Relations between Al-Islah and the Houthis are strained. Some of Al-Islah’s offices were recently ransacked by Houthi fighters. Nevertheless, the party has the backing of powerful militias across the country, an asset that increases its chances to remain a key player in Yemen’s politics.

Although South Yemen was united with North Yemen in May 1990, people of South Yemen argue that unity was meant be part of a power sharing deal, which was never implemented. They feel that their land, home to the majority of the country’s oil reserves, was illegally appropriated as part of a planned conspiracy by North Yemen. The South perceives unfair treatment by the North; the thinking has given birth to the South Yemen Movement which calls for the return of an independent state. After the Houthis took control of the capital in September, the secessionists have stepped up their campaign for their independence.

Yemen has been plagued by Islamist insurgency, separatist conflict, sectarian strife and economic crisis for years. The Arab Spring uprising brought more chaos – unemployment, high food prices, large-scale displacement, corruption, resource depletion and poor infrastructure. Saudi Arabia (Sunni) and Iran’s (Shia) struggle for influence complicate the region’s counter-terrorism challenge. Yemen-based Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, is mainly based in the two provinces of Abyan and Shabwa where it has forged ties with Sunni tribesmen. The group has repeatedly attacked Houthi targets, and is now moving North to confront the Houthis.

America considers AQAP to be the organization’s deadliest branch, the one most capable of launching global attacks (AQAP claimed responsibility for Charlie Hebdo terror attacks in Paris). Hadi had approved a US airstrike-and-drone program that targets Al-Qaeda leaders and training camps. However, the Houthis have been more successful at fighting AQAP than the Yemeni national security forces. On one hand AQAP stands to benefit from the current political vacuum, on the other the expanding Houthi force could polarize the country’s sects further.

There is bloodshed, impoverishment and repression. The political uncertainty can lead to fragmentation of Yemen. The internal feud can trigger a war with implications that may never be contained in the near future. But does anyone care?

Source:

Yemen on brink of collapse, but does anyone care? - Al Jazeera English

revolution

Reactions
25 2 0
Country
Sweden
The new president of Yeman, What do you think ?

B9R3L4HCYAEpv5m.jpg

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Ummmm...... I will keep most of my thoughts to myself on what I think. I will say that he looks drunk and is that a dagger in his belt????

I have serious issues with Yemen. I have nothing against the people or anything but when you marry your 2 yearold daughter to a grown man and he kills her because he had sex with her.... I have an issue with that. I understand they are having issues population wise, but come on guys... they could at least wait until she is 16.

I just hope he proves to be a good President for their people and fix the issues of their country. They have so much to give in the way of culture but they have many things they need to correct also.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Ummmm...... I will keep most of my thoughts to myself on what I think. I will say that he looks drunk and is that a dagger in his belt????

I have serious issues with Yemen. I have nothing against the people or anything but when you marry your 2 yearold daughter to a grown man and he kills her because he had sex with her.... I have an issue with that. I understand they are having issues population wise, but come on guys... they could at least wait until she is 16.

I just hope he proves to be a good President for their people and fix the issues of their country. They have so much to give in the way of culture but they have many things they need to correct also.

Two years old!! Are you serious? Can I see any peace of evidence to your claim? Yes Yemen has an issue with child marriage. We are talking about 10/11 years old but is very very rare from what I know. Its something uncommon and seen as abnormal inside Yemen's society but because the absence of law such thing do occur but as I said very very rare.