Youngsters don't want to serve on Royal Navy submarines because they can't log on to Facebook | World Defense

Youngsters don't want to serve on Royal Navy submarines because they can't log on to Facebook

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Youngsters won't join Royal Navy because they can't go on Facebook | Daily Mail Online

The Royal Navy is struggling to recruit young people as they are no longer willing to tolerate the isolation of underwater life.

It's part of a wider trend that has seen all the armed forces struggling to meet recruitment targets as the social media generation expect more from their employers.

The news has emerged as part of research by PA Consulting which has been trying to help the Royal Navy tackle its staff shortages.

Nick Chaffey, head of defence consulting, told The Sunday Telegraph that society has moved faster than we think over the last few decades.

'For example, the fact that if you are a submariner, you are locked in a tin can under the water and that's it for at least a considerable chunk of time.

'The fact that you are disconnected from the world wide web and Twitter is actually a significant barrier to recruiting young people.

Its led to a slowing in recruitment and swathes of soldiers, sailors and airmen leaving the ranks which has meant numbers have dipped below the government's downsizing target of 82,000 three years before the deadline.

This is despite multi-million pounds media campaigns to attract new recruits.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
This thread may seem funny, particularly the title, but it's reality. Not a few times I've heard of young people saying or posting in social media that take away everything from them but their phone (and internet connection and social media). It used to be a Wild, Wild World but not it's a Wide, Wired World particularly for the internet addicts in the younger bracket.

Steve Dawson

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
This is a shocking story really. Its a trend that should not even exist. Young submariners are more concerned about not being able to update their facebook than they are about serving their country ? Its a sad reflection on the 'entitled' generation and the lack of motivation for many of them to protect their own way of life. There won't be connectivity with the outside world on a submarine anytime soon, not unless we have some major technological breakthroughs, so this problem is only likely to get worse. Whats the solution here ?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, what awful attitudes! It really is a terrible reflection of society and is indicative of the FOMO (fear of missing out) culture which has engulfed the world.

@Steve Dawson perhaps a clever marketing and recruitment strategy is needed? OK, submariners won't be able to use social media when they are working but what about times when they can post? They'll certainly have a lot more to talk about than a picture of some cat. Or maybe emphasising the fact that a Naval life is far more interesting and purposeful than one spent glued to your smartphone?

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Facebook addiction is a serious thing, obviously. I guess that it a kind of a test for future military units like in this example, in submarine where you have to be isolated. If you can go by without Facebook you are up for the task if not, well, you get the point. It is partly a joke but, it is not far from the truth. Young people these day are more addicted to internet and Facebook especially than on some real narcotics. I don't know, it seems like we are here because we accepted this behaviour which is not normal at all. When i say here i mean in this situation where more and more people are looking the world from their rooms and by doing that they are becoming disconnected and thinking just the opposite. If you can not serve on Royal Navy Submarine because you will miss Facebook you have to wander what the hell is the matter with you and what do you want from life. It is tragic that this is the main reason. I thought it was a joke but apparently it is not.