ELM-2052 AESA-MMR.jpg

AliYusuf

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
1,643 69 0
Country
Pakistan
AESA for Indian jaguar upgrade program more than 1000 TRMView attachment 11683
How many Jaguars been thus upgraded? Last time I checked, and it's been a while I last visited the subject, 6 two seaters were to be upgraded with the Elta Elm-2052 radars and two were upgraded back in 2017. But due to the poor thrust of the engines and other technical issues the upgrades have stalled. In fact the upgrade program has been frozen till engines issue get resolved.

Also, Elta is known for providing configurable solutions. Just like it provided an ELM-2052 solution for the Kfir Block-60 offer to Argentina. Albeit with less number of TRM modules. The nose cone couldn't house 1000 TRM modules. Same might have been the ploy for the Jaguar DARIN III upgrade. The Jaguar also doesn't have too much nose cone space. Just an observation.

Kargil 2.0

BANNED
Reactions
6 0 1
Country
India
How many Jaguars been thus upgraded? Last time I checked, and it's been a while I last visited the subject, 6 two seaters were to be upgraded with the Elta Elm-2052 radars and two were upgraded back in 2017. But due to the poor thrust of the engines and other technical issues the upgrades have stalled. In fact the upgrade program has been frozen till engines issue get resolved.

Also, Elta is known for providing configurable solutions. Just like it provided an ELM-2052 solution for the Kfir Block-60 offer to Argentina. Albeit with less number of TRM modules. The nose cone couldn't house 1000 TRM modules. Same might have been the ploy for the Jaguar DARIN III upgrade. The Jaguar also doesn't have too much nose cone space. Just an observation.
this same radar was on offer for jaguar upgrade but look like India has shelved the program & will go for upgradation of SU 30 instead....groundwork for which has already started.Tejas Mk1A will have same ELM-2052 with higher TRM count & will be replaced by DRDO UTTAM when it mature.

Signalian

Reactions
1,194 65 0
Country
Pakistan
Monostatic Radar: if system has only one antenna for transmission and reception.

Multistatic Radar: if system has more than one transmission or reception antennae, at different positions.

The majority of radars are monostatic: the same antenna is used for transmission and reception, with a special microwave switch (Duplexer) isolating the receiver during transmission and the transmitter for the remaining time. A subclass of multistatic systems is the bistatic radar, with one transmitting and one receiving antenna, at different positions.

Considering the emission of radiation, radars are divided into active or passive.

Active systems include a transmitting antenna, exploiting signal reflections from potential targets, while they may be either monostatic (the usual
case) or multistatic. Passive radars have only receiving antenna/-e and take advantage of the radiation that is already present in the environment, coming from non-cooperative transmitters. Such sources could be, for example, television, radio or mobile telephony broadcasts. Passive radars are multistatic, since the transmitting antenna is at a different position from the receiving antennae.

Comparison of Passive with Conventional Radar Systems:

1. It can provide covert detection - tracking.

2. It is highly likely to reveal stealth targets as it is based on low frequency broadcasts (compared to common air defence radars), while it is
multistatic. Note that stealth aircraft have been designed to hide from conventional monostatic radars, mainly aircraft fire control radars,
operating in the X-band (8-12 GHz).

3. It involves lower procurement and operating costs, as it does not have a transmitter, which has considerable power consumption, while it is usually based on a TWT - Traveling Wave Tube, with a high replacement cost.

4. It is very difficult to jam.

5. It cannot be targeted by anti-radiation weapons, such as the Raytheon AGM-88 HARM, or loitering munitions such as the IAI HARPY.
Furthermore, without a transmitter, which would produce heat due to amplifying elements (either tubes or transistors), it will also exhibit low
thermal signature, making it difficult to be targeted by IR systems.

6. It allows easy installation without any licensing, an important benefit in saturated areas, such as an airport, where there are many different emitters.

However, a passive radar also presents the following disadvantages - constraints:

1. It presents a certain algorithmic complexity and requires increased processing power.

2. Its effectiveness depends on the relative geometry and existing emissions.

3. It is necessary to deal with synchronization problems between the receivers.

4. There is particular difficulty in measuring the altitude of the target.

5. It depends on non-cooperative emitters.

6. The most important limitation is that it offers limited altitude coverage, because there is not enough radiation to be exploited at higher altitudes (above 10000 – 15000 ft) .

Last edited:

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
@Signalian can more that one radar be fitted into a fighter jet?

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
@Signalian can more that one radar be fitted into a fighter jet?

Technically if you have the energy and place available---there is no reason that more than one radar can be placed---.

There is the side plate aesa radar

aesa.jpg

Now some are saying the skin of F22 and F35 has sensors all over---I don't know what they are---.

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
Technically if you have the energy and place available---there is no reason that more than one radar can be placed---.

There is the side plate aesa radar

View attachment 11939

Now some are saying the skin of F22 and F35 has sensors all over---I don't know what they are---.
Nope, that’s a myth as per my conclusion. Just watch these pics.

However, let me know what these places are where i pointed using arrows in the following pics
4DBAC426-BCE5-41A8-ABB9-5FBA11BBB01F.jpeg
580DA218-A77E-4091-A207-9BF308FEE7C8.jpeg

And this small plate type thing

13BF67F3-924D-4791-B38D-ACF1256D7F70.jpeg

Attachments

• 5BB0D6D8-57D6-401F-8C95-EA3E196B51AB.jpeg
    5BB0D6D8-57D6-401F-8C95-EA3E196B51AB.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 97

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
The F15 has it's sensor protruding, as indicated in the pic, the F35s sensors and antenna are blended into the skin, I wouldn't claim to know where they are located on the F35,(usual spots would be horizontal and vertical stabilizers, edges of wings, upper and lower fuselage, and of course the nose, of course that covers the entire plane) but the upper pics look like access panels, the lower plate pic looks like some type of antenna to me.

One of the problem reports that came up on Navy and Marine F35s was that the horizontal stabilizer got singed by the exhaust, and if this occurred and damaged the skin it would require depot level maintenance to repair because of the sensors located in it

Last edited:

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
Nope, that’s a myth as per my conclusion. Just watch these pics.

However, let me know what these places are where i pointed using arrows in the following pics
View attachment 11943View attachment 11941

And this small plate type thing

View attachment 11942

Hi,

Only people who have any " conclusion " about the F22 what sensors it has are those who have designed it and those who have worked on it and those who fly it and those who have clearance to know what it has---.

If I may ask what qualifies you make a statement about no sensors---.

The claim for F22 is that " all the skin is sensor ".

Last edited:

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Hi,

Only people who have any " conclusion " about the F22 what sensors it has are those who have designed it and those who have worked on it and those who fly it and those who have clearance to know what it has---.

If I may ask what qualifies you make a statement about no sensors---.

The claim for F22 is that " all the skin is sensor ".
who claims that the f22 "all skin is sensor"? I would find that hard to believe

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
we are getting pretty far from the AESA, that this thread was started for, but here goes

Take a Seat Inside the Virtual Cockpit of an F-35
A veteran test pilot takes the viewer on a tour of the Lightning II’s many features.

By Kyle Mizokami
Jun 4, 2019

A new YouTube video tour gives a 360 degree view of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. The tour, hosted by Commander Tony “Brick” Wilson, was uploaded by defense contractor and F-35 manufacturer Lockheed Martin. Wilson points out some of the less well known aspects of the fifth generation stealth fighter, including the aircraft’s armament capability, sensors, and engine performance.

The F-35 was the second fifth generation fighter to fly. As Wilson points out fifth generation jets are not just defined by stealth but by the ability to fuse sensor data together and present it to the pilot in a useful way. Wilson starts off by showing off the Electro-Optical Targeting System, or EOTS. EOTS is composed of the nose-mounted forward-looking infrared targeting sensor and the Distributed Aperture System, a network of cameras pointing in all directions, giving the pilot the ability to see straight up, down, or even behind without moving his or her head. Together these two sensors allow the pilot to locate, track, and target enemy aircraft, ground vehicles, or other targets in day or night, good weather or bad.
Next, Wilson goes on to describe weapons. The F-35A has a single internal 25-millimeter gun and can carry a total of four air-to-air missiles in two internal weapons bays. It can also carry AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles, one on each wingtip. Alternately it can carry a variety of air to ground munitions inside the bays, including JDAM satellite-guided and Paveway II laser-guided bombs. The F-35 has four wing-mounted weapons stations, with the two inner stations rated to carry bombs up to 5,000 pounds.
MEET THE F-35
What It’s Like to Fly the F-35

The best part of the video, however, is when Wilson uses the 360 degree nature of the video to show how the F-35 helmet projects an augmented reality view across the pilot’s field of view. The video simulates the viewer actually sitting in the F-35 cockpit, with colored icons denoting aircraft in the and targets on the ground. This allows the pilot to maintain situational awareness while continuing to remain focused on flying the aircraft.
This video, produced by Lockheed Martin, is no doubt a marketing tool and meant to portray the jet in its best light. That having been said, it does do an excellent job at portraying the jet’s many capabilities, which the company and the Pentagon have at times fallen short in doing.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
when watching the video, and panning around plane, looking closely at the skin you can see the different sensors