America/Chinese war inevitable? | Page 2 | World Defense

America/Chinese war inevitable?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
In the case of the Spratly Islands, whether they are in Chinese hands or someone elses does not affect USA in any way. So USA will bark, but they will not take action.
In fact, not even Taiwan should claim the Islands belong to them considering the fact that Taiwan is still considered breakaway territory by China.

Is Taiwan Considered a Country? - Information
only 25 countries (as of early 2007) recognize Taiwan as an independent country

So the dispute over who owns the Sprately Islands is a Phillippines-China issue. What would the U.S gain by helping the Philippines? Not much. So whether they like it or not, China will get the Islands.

Last edited:

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I never said anything about pure military force. China is THE country that keeps the world economy going... that probably counts for way more than any amount of military hardware.

That's the impression - China is the moving force behind the world economy. But we are forgetting India, Bangladesh, Thailand and even Philippines, countries that can supply cheap labor like China. And if China will be obliterated in the world map (just for the sake of argument, no intention for that) those countries I mentioned will step forward to make the world go round again.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I'm sure this is probably a stupid question. But I don't understand why we won't get involved? War is great for the economy, and we are already daring China to throw the first punch. If and when they do I don't see us backing off. Im not implying you are wrong. Not by any means. I guess I'm asking where the flaw in my logic is.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
When has the US not being involved in the dispute ever kept them from going to war? Or at the very least, picking sides and supporting them with whatever they needed.

I'm not ruling out US supporting the other side both politically and economically.
I am ruling out USA starting what would most likely be the most devastating war mankind has ever seen over these said islands.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
I am jittery with the mention of this topic because it is obvious that a war is going to escalate soon. China has been bullying the small countries like Vietnam and the Philippines in relation to the Spratly islands issue. There was even an instance that Chinese sentinels in the said islands hit the Vietnamese boats with water hoses. It was a mischief act but nonetheless confrontational.

The posting of USS Ronald Reagan to guard the South China sea particularly the Spratly Islands where China has been building a huge structure with an airstrip is a direct affront to the muscles of China. It seems that the US is also flexing its muscles and warning China of its bullying. Remember that weeks ago, the Chinese navy had warned the US planes to stop flying over their air space in Spratly as if they owned the entire island group.

So where are we heading? It would be China versus the world.

If China is truly the "bully" at Spartly islands, then why is Vietnam having occupied more than 20 islands/reef when China has only 7? Same goes for Philippines, controls more islands/reefs than China.

China was the first one to claim Spartly islands. Maps published in 1940s by former regime of China already included Spartly islands within the 9-dash-line.

In 1960s when Philippines attempted to claim 2 of the islands at Spartly for the very first time by unplugged Chinese flags there, Taiwan responded by immediately re-station troops on the islands. The US government at the time backed the claim of Republic of China on Taiwan because when Spain signed treaty to give up Philippines to the US, it never included Spartly islands within the Philippines' territory.

Facts -
China has occupied only 7 islands/reefs at Spartly islands, all other countries who claim the area are having more islands/reefs.
China is the only one without an operational runway at Spartly islands. All others have built at least one some years ago.

The thing is, some smaller countries pretend to be the victim by keep pushing on the dispute issues while in fact they are grabbing more territory and have militarized more islands.

You called China the "bully" for using water cannons?
So what makes Philippines for shooting at Taiwanese fishing boat and killed a fishman? Then turned and ran when a Taiwanese warship rushed to the scene?

Never underestimate the ability of the weaklings to be the bully, especially when they think the "big brother" (the United States) would back them.

Last edited:

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Like a few artificial Islands will bring the world's most powerful economy to war with the United States. America needs to mind its business and China should not allow America to dictate to them anything regarding these Islands. America trying to bully its point across as usual but they should be careful when dealing with the Chinese.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I reckon a war can happen from what has been going on from both the countries, as China has warned USA not to patrol the islands that China claims it owns and has even strong armed the smaller countries to back off on their claims. If a war does happen then it could affect the economy as money would need to be used to fund weapons and petrol, also food and other things when war occurs. USA has been involved in this dispute when, it does not need to and China will remove or force anyone trying to enter the islands, it lays claims to and would be wise to listen to what they are saying so no one get's hurt.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
That's the impression - China is the moving force behind the world economy. But we are forgetting India, Bangladesh, Thailand and even Philippines, countries that can supply cheap labor like China. And if China will be obliterated in the world map (just for the sake of argument, no intention for that) those countries I mentioned will step forward to make the world go round again.

I am not forgetting about those countries. But they simply are not China... India might one day replace China as the #1 in economy but they are not there yet. Yes those countries can and already do supply cheap labor and cheap stuff to the western world (how much can they increase this without bringing up the cost? Surely not even close enough to replace everything made in China?) but they fall far behind in R&D and their financial sector, for the most part, is nothing but a joke compared to the more advanced economies.