An EU army? | World Defense

An EU army?

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
There isn't one for a very good reason, mainly where would soldiers loyalties lie? The EU isn't a country and there are so many disagreements it would create more mayhem and cost more.

Some countries have been pushing for one, but then would National Service be brought in, what about the language barriers and also the standards?

I hope it never happens and someone will have the guts to disband the EU and keep it solely for trading purposes.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
What an awful idea...aside from the differences in mother tongues and living standards, could you really imagine British, French and Dutch soldiers working in co-operation with the Germans?

Don't get me wrong, I support most of what the EU stands for but this would be crazy.

goncalogdct

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Portugal
I agree with missbichi's opinion. There is no need for an European army. Each country has its own, and with the way the international order is right now, I feel I'm okay with the way things are now. There are already several international cooperations which join together the armies of various countries for punctual interventions in territories. If Europe created an army it would just create tension. Both internal, as joining so much soldiers from so many different backgrounds could cause tension amongst the army itself.

It would also create international tensions, as it would disturb the present international balance of power. Europe could start being seen as a threat, and it could spark conflict. These are my ideas on this topic, I look forward to hearing yours. :)

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is the more power the EU has, the more it will push for these sorts of structures. You have banks, currency, laws, borders so they will continue. They already have been trying but Cameron has put his foot down and said 'no'. Each country likes to hold it's own military tactics and won't want to share things that will protect the country. I can imagine each country will hold onto all their information, because if they do end up fighting each other, they don't want anyone to have any inside information.

To be honest if EU countries fight each other, they have done historically and could happen again. I am sure DeGaulle and Churchill would be turning over in their graves at the thought of an EU army.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Europe would first need to be a federation, elect one president who will be the CIC of the EU army. Wars have been fought to stop any European nation from being too powerful and now all that power will be handed over to one person? Not likely. What's most likely to happen [and soon] is this: the break up of the European Union.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
An EU army is something that will never happen IMO because mostly we are a peaceful continent and independent countries. We have NATO and our efforts are combined there.

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
There isn't one for a very good reason, mainly where would soldiers loyalties lie? The EU isn't a country and there are so many disagreements it would create more mayhem and cost more.

Some countries have been pushing for one, but then would National Service be brought in, what about the language barriers and also the standards?

I hope it never happens and someone will have the guts to disband the EU and keep it solely for trading purposes.

I don't think it would be all that difficult because in the African union they also have their own army and they have manged to handle it very well.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Europe would first need to be a federation, elect one president who will be the CIC of the EU army. Wars have been fought to stop any European nation from being too powerful and now all that power will be handed over to one person? Not likely. What's most likely to happen [and soon] is this: the break up of the European Union.

Yes, they already fight over the Presidency of the EU even though it rotates, which you can't really do for an army and there are too many egos that would clash. The break up the EU but retaining trade agreements would solve many issues as the EU only creates more than is necessary. Just like the old days, countries decide who their allies are and fight on their behalf. Just imagine former Soviet countries in an EU army forced to fight Russia and perhaps some of their own relatives? Many wouldn't I guess and it also opens up more issues and opportunities for spies and traitors.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
It will not happen for a long time as, at this time, the defensive needs of the continent are well fulfilled by NATO. While I am in favor of stronger ties between EU country, full integration of European defensive forces almost serves no purpose. The different militaries of Europe would likely be able to co-operate very well through international organizations.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
EU army? For what? I think if there's an army conniving with each other or blatantly fusing into one hood, then it would just really pose a threat for other countries which would just push them to form another kind of it with another countries. It's gonna be who's with who? I think it's happening now underground. Not legitimate but formal. We have alliances now but with this military strength aren't really fused into one. But even as small as this is already causing serious issues, causing some countries to react frantically and not only that, it also causes them to feel outcast and oppressed. We are pushing for globalisation, and I think with this system, what we really need is staunch independence from one another and healthy competition. It shouldn't be a way to make other countries feel like they are being threatened to be subjugated if ever they don't agree with what the majority of the countries are pushing. But even to call for the majority isn't right, because in reality, it's only the superpowers who decide for us. The rest are just to weak to voice out their sentiments.

Nur

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Philippines
I... don't really think that's such a good idea. Or a good idea at all. I mean, how many countries are part of the EU, yeah? These countries have different training, different ways in dealing with military hierarchies, different ways in which they would tackle strategies on offense and defense and of course, different loyalties. And they have their own stereotypes of each other and some of these countries have a history of fighting among themselves too.

And even if those things were resolved, there is still the fact that the EU has been dealing with an economic problem for years now. That, I mean, that could very well happen with regards to a unified military too. Imagine how problematic that would be.

Stims

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
This idea will never grow into something that is actually implemented. Many countries in the EU already share common enemies and thus have cooperated in certain conflicts so there really isn't a need for a standard EU army. As stated already, there would be a multitude of problems arising from such a move.

I really feel each country should stick to its own army and help to create that loyalty and honor amongst its men. I mean would anybody really be that proud for to fight for the EU as a whole?

Another point to consider would be financing....

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
All that needs to happen is for each state within the union works together to direct their armies individually to insure success. The EU is newly formed and there is still some strain in the union. They have not gained the complete union as the US has. They are not ready for a conglomerated army as of yet. They need time to ease into it. The states of the EU are still conforming together. There is still to much division for them to create a single army. However if they did.... that would be one h&* of a military!

Nur

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Philippines
All that needs to happen is for each state within the union works together to direct their armies individually to insure success. The EU is newly formed and there is still some strain in the union. They have not gained the complete union as the US has. They are not ready for a conglomerated army as of yet. They need time to ease into it. The states of the EU are still conforming together. There is still to much division for them to create a single army. However if they did.... that would be one h&* of a military!
Er... But, how would the logistics of that go though? The EU is not a united country like the US is, they aren't governed by an overarching law that takes priority over the state-specific laws, and the states of the United States have not been at war with each other like the countries within EU have been. Not on the same scale, at least. If they maintain their separate nationhood, there's really no way an EU army can exist. And I doubt there will ever be a European Union country any time soon. Europe has so many countries in such a small continent for a reason after all.

starburstlateral

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Ireland
I wouldn't dismiss the possibility offhand and I think it's possible, if not probable in the distant future.
Logistically it would be the cause of nightmares, and that would just be the stumbling steps, though over a period of decades I can see it happen. If enough people are stirred by foreign war and negative influence, that is.

This especially holds true if the Middle East continues as is.