Breaking : Putin orders start of Russian forces' withdrawal from Syria | World Defense

Breaking : Putin orders start of Russian forces' withdrawal from Syria

Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
-
MOSCOW, March 14 (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday ordered his military to start the withdrawal of the main part of Russia's forces from Syria, saying that the Russian military intervention had largely achieved its objectives.

Putin, at a meeting in the Kremlin with his defence and foreign ministers, said the pullout should start from Tuesday. He also ordered that Russia intensify its role in the peace process to end the conflict in Syria.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Putin had telephoned Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to inform him of the Russian decision. (Reporting by Denis Dyomkin; Writing by Christian Lowe)

Russia's Putin orders start of Russian forces' withdrawal from Syria | Daily Mail Online
-
@Bundeswehr @BLACKEAGLE @Falcon29 @Legend @Scorpion @Gasoline @WebMaster @Diane Lane @Corzhens @Redheart What do you think ? Have they achieved their objectives or just couldn't afford this operation anymore ?

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
There could be a prior arrangement with other regional countries or else Putin choose to deescalate given that Turkey and Saudi Arabia are gearing up for military intervention. Or simply Putin is trying to outsmart other players in the game.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
From what I've seen, the airbases will remain, the ground forces will be pulled out with exception of advisors and troops to guard the airbases. Russia achieved objective of enabling the survival of the Syrian government but also putting them in offensive stances rather than defensive ones on some fronts. Russia will keep some air defense systems there, and of course the naval bases as well. It would make no sense to pull out aerial assets, otherwise Syrian army is still prone to collapse, as they lack manpower to sustain opposition offensives. Russia also wanted to make sure Syria would not be used as an intermediary for gas/oil pipeline from Arab world into Europe. Because this will decrease European dependence on it for these resources, which in turn would heavily impact the Russian economy.

With that being said, there is likely another purpose here that was probably coordinated with the West. This move could be done to pressure the government to form transitional government. And warn them they will lose Russian support if they don't. I can't see how this would work, as rebels haven't nominated any representatives for them. Many rebel groups are at each other's throats as well. The approach the West is playing here is very dangerous. It's not in anyone's interest to force a minority of rebel factions to takeover government just because it may benefit Israel. This would include bombardment of both the Syrian army and other more hardline rebel groups. And it will cause mass refugee influx, possible civil war in Lebanon, more violence directed against minorities, etc....

I still do not believe Turkey and Saudi Arabia are planning military intervention, even if Russia fully pulled out. They will just arm opposition like usual.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
From what I've seen, the airbases will remain, the ground forces will be pulled out with exception of advisors and troops to guard the airbases. Russia achieved objective of enabling the survival of the Syrian government but also putting them in offensive stances rather than defensive ones on some fronts. Russia will keep some air defense systems there, and of course the naval bases as well. It would make no sense to pull out aerial assets, otherwise Syrian army is still prone to collapse, as they lack manpower to sustain opposition offensives. Russia also wanted to make sure Syria would not be used as an intermediary for gas/oil pipeline from Arab world into Europe. Because this will decrease European dependence on it for these resources, which in turn would heavily impact the Russian economy.

With that being said, there is likely another purpose here that was probably coordinated with the West. This move could be done to pressure the government to form transitional government. And warn them they will lose Russian support if they don't. I can't see how this would work, as rebels haven't nominated any representatives for them. Many rebel groups are at each other's throats as well. The approach the West is playing here is very dangerous. It's not in anyone's interest to force a minority of rebel factions to takeover government just because it may benefit Israel. This would include bombardment of both the Syrian army and other more hardline rebel groups. And it will cause mass refugee influx, possible civil war in Lebanon, more violence directed against minorities, etc....

I still do not believe Turkey and Saudi Arabia are planning military intervention, even if Russia fully pulled out. They will just arm opposition like usual.
What did i tell you about the Russians looking for a way out?

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
I know they can't afford it long term, but this seems to be more scaling down than pullout.
Trust me,its only to save face.
Russia will pull out of Syria for good,soon.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
@Gabriel92, I just can't find the article in the newspaper that I had read yesterday. But anyway, it said that Russia is having financial problems due to the low oil prices in the world market. And there's a hint that the withdrawal of troops may be more likely due to lack of funding. And the mention of peace process is Russia's graceful exit so that the issue of withdrawal will not be on focus. That's my take on that pullout - no more money to fund the military contingent.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The whole world is arming the Kurds to establish their state which will open another front in this conflict. Russia, Germany, the US...etc. Russia is not pulling out rather the horse has been pulled one move back.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
wow nice. I supported Russia in this conflict they did in Syria destroying the terrorists but i did not like how they hit civilian people. but they were in a shorter time then i imaged i thought Russia forces leave of 2016 December

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
wow nice. I supported Russia in this conflict they did in Syria destroying the terrorists but i did not like how they hit civilian people. but they were in a shorter time then i imaged i thought Russia forces leave of 2016 December

Russia is targeting the moderate rebels leaving ISIS behind. In an airstrike the killed the commander in chief of Jaysh al Islam Zahran Alloush.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Of course, the objective has been achieved. They have made sure Assad stays. Unless someone can now fly a drone to assassinate the man, I don't think Assad is going anywhere. Mission accomplished.

Oil prices are rising again, so all the price manipulation didn't do what it was supposed to. Instead people were laid off in oil based countries. A couple of my friends had to liquidate their assets in the middle east fearing a long dip in the price of oil.
And now that there won't be a pipeline bringing oil into Europe from Qatar via Syria (not until Assad is gone), Russians are once again in control of the oil taps to Europe - which is exactly what Putin wanted. He saved his country from ruin and they did it in less than 6 months.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I agree with @Scorpion that it seems Russian is simply pulling back. Putin seems to be a very strategic player, always a few steps ahead, and he obviously has some sort of agenda. I know he's leaving the air-to-missile systems behind, as well as some other assets, but I think he's doing so to earn goodwill, by at least making it appear that he's playing along. I don't think he's ready to abandon Assad, but is probably putting him on notice with this move, that he needs to play ball with the other parties involved. I'd rather the West let those with more experience and vested interests in the region (the nations in the area, in other words) focus on the internal and regional struggles, and that we prioritize the eradication of ISIS as our focus.